Another 8L Track Car - Lets get ready to 'Ruuuuuuuumble'!

Bad times on the Beemer , good times on the new one but Tbh id of sold you my a3 for the convenient price of 6900...

The suns out today hopefully it stays out for a while and you can get the track car finished :beer:

Last edited:
Holy sh*t Welly. That's a right mess, at least your good though. Cars are replaceable and all that.

Sounds like its replacement is more than a match for the white one though.

Looking forward to some updates fella.

1.jpg

what i love about this:
it snowed, you have a bmw, HA

best wishes

sorry to hear about the white BMW welly. Leave you still breathing as it could have been a lot worse if you was blasting it.

Bad luck with the beemer mate but the camber/stance in the 3rd pic down looks awesome ;)

I know of a MKV R32 that hit a pot hole at 20 mph and the standard wheel collapsed in a similar way. It had done less than 10k miles at the time.

Must say I prefer the new one. Much more classy ;)

Sorry about the mishap with the carriers. I'll see if my mate has any others if you're still after them.

Hello all, been some time since I have a) done any track car work and b) been on here.

This is due to a series of personal dramas and being promoted at work. Both of the aforementioned have left me with around or about no time for anything...

Bit of a catalyst has brought me back into the world of doing stuff however. The A3 was in my mate's garage and he was moving house. This meant I had to get the A3 somewhere else really. His garage was the main cause of so little work being done on the car. It was cramped, cold, unlit and damp - which didn't make me feel like doing anything really.

Anyway, it's now been towed up to my parent's house as they have the room for me to store it for now. Getting her out of the garage was a sad affair... The paintwork is filthy, the seats were completely mouldy, all in all, not good.

Anyway, towed the car up with next to no working brakes, no front end at all, no bonnet... all in all a bit of a rolling wreck. Was very happy to not be spotted by the old bill towing on that private road. Cough.

First thing first was to clean out all the mould and ming. Used dettol to kill off any germs and now the interior is back to good condition...

56.jpg

Then I started to have a look and see where we got to with the engine. Bearing in mind I hadn't even looked at it since around 12 months ago...

The engine is built, turbo on, downpipe is work in progress.

To do:
  • Fit timing belt and tensioner.
  • General engine completion - fitting stuff etc.
  • Install spark plugs and coils.
  • Fit new cam sensor.
  • Pipe up turbo (oil lines).
  • Finish downpipe and screamer pipe for wastegate.
  • Re route PAS return pipe.
  • Blank of main turbo water outlet from the back of the block.
  • Fit all vac piping.
  • Pipe up and fit intercooler.
  • Fill with oil and water.
So, not that far to go. Got on with the timing belt straight away and got it done.

57.jpg

Thought I'd have a quick check of the blower...

58.jpg

Then refitted the front end...

59.jpg

Now awaiting parts to be able to complete the rest...

An interesting little note for anyone who wants to blank off the turbo water source on the block - a 1.8T sump plug is just about perfect... :)

Reactions: slowcoach3, Jason.s and s3dave
Congrats on the promotion....I expect there will be even more disposable cash to throw at the car now? :D

You got any idea on when your looking to get her finished by - in time for ADI?

Congrats on the promotion....I expect there will be even more disposable cash to throw at the car now? :D

You got any idea on when your looking to get her finished by - in time for ADI?

It'll never be road legal mate, so getting it there would be a royal PITA. :(

It'll never be road legal mate, so getting it there would be a royal PITA. :(

Ohhh - I didn't realise this will become a full on track car with no MOT and trailer only jobby tbh.

Silly question time :jester: But why won't she be able to be made road legal? As it would obviously make life a lot easier for ya fella - other than the additional insurance/tax/mot cost obviously.

Silly question time :jester: But why won't she be able to be made road legal? As it would obviously make life a lot easier for ya fella - other than the additional insurance/tax/mot cost obviously.

It's the additional insurance, tax, MOT, and various other costs that put me off - don't want to have to road run two cars :(

Yeah that's fair enough....running 1 is enough for me! lol

So will you be looking at getting a trailer licence and a trailer to ferry her about? - both of which together would probably cost around a years insurance/mot/tax. I suppose at least you have a derv for the pulling power now :)

Yeah that's fair enough....running 1 is enough for me! lol

So will you be looking at getting a trailer licence and a trailer to ferry her about? - both of which together would probably cost around a years insurance/mot/tax. I suppose at least you have a derv for the pulling power now :)

It was quite funny actually - I used the old derv to tow her up to my olds - it was like it wasn't actually pulling anything!

Welcome back Welly. Good to see you cracking on with the Audi again. What model 330d have you got? E46?

Yes mate, I wanted to get something cheapish and I only gave 5 G for it with low mileage for the year. Seemed like a plan. Me and the missus are actually getting married next year after being engaged forever, so once that's out of the way I plan to replace her with a 335D just like my brothers.

Really happy with it I have to say, made a few tweaks to it to make it work for me :)

Anyway.... the A3 now is running. No exhaust or even downpipe when we fired her up - so was a touch loud. She really didn't want to start either if I'm being honest - old fuel and lack of fuel rail for 12 months made it lethargic at best. She did fire eventually though, ran to temp and then shut down.

Some work done over the weekend. Got the what turns out to be enormous 4" think WellyCooler V2 mounted (with great difficulty as it weighs a ton). I'm not going to lie - it's large. Very large.

Piping the cooler in was no huge problem, usual drill with it really, but then came trying to refit the bumper... No so easy. In fact there isn't much of the original bumper left...

Some photos:

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Also the downpipe is now completed from both the turbo and the external wastegate. The screamer pipe vent directly into the downpipe as there isn't much room to work with down there....

65.jpg

Hoping that the exhaust will be completed tonight so we can fire her up properly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jason.s and s3dave
Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world :laugh:

Love it!

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Just read this thread word for word, gotta say great thread. Can't wait to see how it turns out, you see all the Chinese parts and think steer clear, this could change the view of the more mechanically minded owners that could replace certain parts if they do fail eventually.

Very interested to see how good the £60 440c injectors are... Currently working towards Stage 2 and I think injectors are next on the list. Not before a decent set of brakes and callipers though :)

Nice to see you sorted out the personal problems as well mate!

purely for reference here Welly boots, my 440cc injectors at 3 bar were fuelling 370bhp with it only JUST starting to go lean at the very top end. with a 4 bar FPR they're fuelling 378bhp steady and true at 11.5:1 AFR with no trouble, so size wise, you'll be fine :)

what the a3 track car?
didnt burns buy his old yellow s3?