Another annoying noise

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
Had the windows down the yesterday and the radio off and i noticed another annoying little noise for a split second when accelerating. Its a very faint tinny rattle coming from the front somewhere. It does it under light/normal acceleration and driving but not when cruising or on overrun just when accelerating.

Wondered whether the front drive shafts were on there way out too, but theres no other obvious signs of wear on them. I was also returning from the lake so was pulling the extra weight behind me adding extra stress on the shafts but still does it without the trailer too...

Cars a 2.0tfsi BUL FWD variety and very annoying one!!

Evening Alex, its never ideal when rattles and noises appear and they can be so hard to source aswell, I've had a few myself with the old bus so I can fully understand your situation.
I found with most of these things it becomes a somewhat slow process of elimination to be honest, just work through the obvious and less obvious parts and discount whats already been done.

From my first hand experience, the front engine mounts and drive shafts created the most issues noise and vibration wise as most of the suspension was in good condition.
But that's my experience and you may find otherwise but just persevere with it, your is like mine and many others out there, an older car with wear and tear always rearing its head, but its not beyond sorting out. :thumbs up:

If you cant hear it at any other time other than accelerating then it's a component under load which when driving can be a lot of things.
If you rev it when stationary can it be herd.?

Driveshafts can look ok but that's not to say they aren't worn, have you checked the inner joints Alex.
I replaced both my fronts last week , outer cv's were worn but not excessively, inners were really tired and flapping around and quite noisy too.

If you cant hear it at any other time other than accelerating then it's a component under load which when driving can be a lot of things.
If you rev it when stationary can it be herd.?

Driveshafts can look ok but that's not to say they aren't worn, have you checked the inner joints Alex.
I replaced both my fronts last week , outer cv's were worn but not excessively, inners were really tired and flapping around and quite noisy too.
Nope nothing when stationery Rob so has to be a moving part obviously, hense the thought of shafts. Mine are the originals i believe judging by the oem stickers on them and if so they are old now and on 120k miles.

Im planning on fitting new mounts when i service it at somepoint this month so we'll see what happens after that and as you say follow the process...