Another Audi followed by a divorce OR buy something else and stay happliy married?

I have a real dilemma. I was originally going to replace my A4 with and A6 Avant Quattro, however since the engine issues with my B6 A4 1.8T (airmass unit, etc) and now an engine rebuild on my B8 A4 2.0T, my wife has told me I am not buying another Audi!!! The problem is, for my price range, I can't think of any car that I would say...'that is really nice, I want one of those!' So I am stuck.

We hired a Kia Sportage to travel to Scotland and to be honest, although I would never buy one it was actually a nice drive. There were a few things I didn't like but overall it was good. My problem now is the wife and kids want a 4x4! Worse still, what she really wants is a people carrier which is no where to be seen in my vehicle vocabulary.

So what do I go for? I always liked the 5 series until I sat in one a few weeks ago. I've considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but now I am having second thoughts, so what else fits my criteria:

Estate similar in size to an A6 or a 4X4; 3.0TDI, Automatic, £30-40k.

Help please!!

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
30-40k is quite a budget. You could have almost anything for that

X5, X6, Q7, M-Class, Range Rover, E-Class, 300C, GS, XF,

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
I'm with Jojo on this, but if you wanted a bit more fruit in your exhaust note then C63 AMG estate would be a barnstorming estate car

Merc_CClass_AMG_Est_270612_(13).jpg

Passat R36 Estate :cool:

Isn't that carrying an Audi engine?

30-40k is quite a budget. You could have almost anything for that

X5, X6, Q7, M-Class, Range Rover, E-Class, 300C, GS, XF,

Possibly X5, X6 a big no, no to the Q range, wasn't the M-Class always 100 in Top Gears 100 cars? Thought Rangies were more expensive, considering the E-Class, been in a 300C and not sure, GS a possibility, XF - not thought about that...definitely consider

I'm with Jojo on this, but if you wanted a bit more fruit in your exhaust note then C63 AMG estate would be a barnstorming estate car

Merc_CClass_AMG_Est_270612_(13).jpg

Now this would be lovely, however with my convertible running at 25mpg; if our all rounder family car was running at 19mpg, I think my wife would chop my balls off, then divorce me!

Good man, I'd rather have an Audi with a failed engine than an X6

Lol...It's fugly, in fact all the GT ranges are!

If I won the lottery, one of my top car priorities would be an RS6 Avant... Love them!

SteveMcB

SQ5's dropping into that price bracket yet?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
See I would have said no way to the old original version, but the latest Cayenne is actually quite nice. Still not for me though.

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
The old one isnt the best looking, but my have they dropped in price!!

I have seen some about 10 years old selling for less than 10k!!

The new one is very nice :)

Statler

Old enough to know better
Jaguar XF - excellent car, Mrs Statler has been running a 2.2d for 3 years and uttered the words 'you'll have to prise it from my cold, dead hands..' when I suggested changing it so she obviously likes the car.

The Sportback/Sportbreak is surprisingly spacious and the 2.2d has 200 ponies but the torque is to marvel at, it lifts and goes in an impressive manner. Auto box it very good and paddle shifting it'll happily rev to the limiter.

That said, average fuel is sitting at just under 36mpg on mixed town/country driving, so not what Jaguar promised and I've yet to see higher than 44mpg on a motorway run. It's also using a set of tyres every 12k, but a friend also has one and is getting better fuel and tyre wear so maybe she just need to take it a bit easier ;-)

But hey, she loves it...

HTH

Artimus

Shortback
This is the problem. Audis are the way forward, but not at the risk of an unexpected extra £6k later in its life!
Spend the 6k on something your wife will like, then buy your dream Audi a couple of months later ...She'll be too busy washing "her" car to even notice yours.

Marriage utopia = 2 cars :salute:

Jaguar XF - excellent car, Mrs Statler has been running a 2.2d for 3 years and uttered the words 'you'll have to prise it from my cold, dead hands..' when I suggested changing it so she obviously likes the car.

The Sportback/Sportbreak is surprisingly spacious and the 2.2d has 200 ponies but the torque is to marvel at, it lifts and goes in an impressive manner. Auto box it very good and paddle shifting it'll happily rev to the limiter.

That said, average fuel is sitting at just under 36mpg on mixed town/country driving, so not what Jaguar promised and I've yet to see higher than 44mpg on a motorway run. It's also using a set of tyres every 12k, but a friend also has one and is getting better fuel and tyre wear so maybe she just need to take it a bit easier ;-)

But hey, she loves it...

HTH

I'm happy to compromise on consumption to get better performance to a certain extent. I'd be happy with 36mpg

Spend the 6k on something your wife will like, then buy your dream Audi a couple of months later ...She'll be too busy washing "her" car to even notice yours.

Marriage utopia = 2 cars :salute:

Lol.

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
I have to confess, if I had a budget of £30,000 and instructions not to buy an Audi, I'd have a Jaguar XF on the drive before you could blink.

Audi Dynamik

I always liked the 5 series until I sat in one a few weeks ago.

What didn't you like about the 5 Series ? And what kind did you sit in ? Try different specs and they can completely change.
I love my 5 Series.

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Vauxhall VX-R8 Supercharged Estate (aka Holden from Aus)

Don't buy new, they depreciate like rocks, but if you buy nearly new you can get a bargain and they are a lot of fun if you can overlook the slightly plasticky decoration. Owners and journos love them.

I have to confess, if I had a budget of £30,000 and instructions not to buy an Audi, I'd have a Jaguar XF on the drive before you could blink.

I tell you what, they're not a bad price particularly for the level of equipment provided.

The blue one:

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't quite work out what it is!

I always liked the 5 series until I sat in one a few weeks ago.

What didn't you like about the 5 Series ? And what kind did you sit in ? Try different specs and they can completely change.
I love my 5 Series.

It was the M-Sport. I've always liked the exterior styling of the 5 series and I'm sure the drive train is as good as they say, but the interior of BMW's just look bland compared to Audi's and Mercs...sorry. I'm not for all this hype about rear wheel drive being better either; I would prefer the X-Drive system for the all round package. It's not as if I'm going to be doing a Jeremy Clarkson on every corner I approach!

Vauxhall VX-R8 Supercharged Estate (aka Holden from Aus)

Don't buy new, they depreciate like rocks, but if you buy nearly new you can get a bargain and they are a lot of fun if you can overlook the slightly plasticky decoration. Owners and journos love them.

I thought it was a VXR, but then I half convinced myself that maybe it was a new VRS!!

See back in the day I would have considered a Vauxhall, but these days I just don't like them. My wife has had various Vauxhall's as hire cars, but she always complains they are uncomfortable and the only vehicle she feels tired after completing the same 100 mile trip. In fact she always states 'no Vauxhalls' on her order form now!

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Given her tastes and needs maybe this will do, 4 seats a boot and 4wd

ferrari-ff-geneva.jpg

I would have to agree.

'm starting to lean towards the E350 AMG estate. I have two reservations though: I'm not really fussed on leather interior, particularly having child seats and it's rear wheel drive.

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
An AMG with a 350 lump?????

My god, never thought if be saying that is this decade :-(

It's a 3.0 diesel with the AMG sport body kit and interior. Obviously the official E63 AMG would have been nice, but not at 19mpg!

It’s quite good looking back on some of my old posts. It reminds me of the different things I’ve done.

Well as a report back. It was a close call in choice between the XFS Sportbreak and the E350.

The decision came down to two things in the end. The first was the total lack of interest in the Jaguar showroom to assist me. Not a whistle although I looked around the cars for a good half and hour. Maybe I looked too young!

The second was space. After asking the guy outside washing a Sportbrake if I could have a look inside I was amazed at the lack of space compared to the exterior dimensions. It was like an A6 with an A4 interior.

So here it is and I’ve got to admit we (my wife more so) are loving it.

54713c9dc70ca5c02bb1bb17472f50b2.png

f2cbaffd74059127c1e06458020e75b3.png

It’s been 3 years of ownership. It’s such a comfortable drive, yet boy has it got some poke. I’ve surprised one or two 3.0 A5 and A7 drivers. It just seems to have the edge. I’m also converted, rear wheel drive is definitely the way forward, although the snow can be a little treacherous. We survived getting up and down the Cairngorms easy enough in the snow though. More importantly Mercedes have been fantastic, particularly Basingstoke.

I haven’t lost my hand though. This is my normal run around, partly because my wife doesn’t let me have the Mercedes keys much!

4013b4dee8db15ac79de553b7823eb57.png

1a9ff6c02411ae4ea9f3539a2ceea317.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
As I tell My misses who hates my s3 they have more in common than she thinks
They’re both loud
They both cost me a fortune
They both give me head aches
They both make me smile
But the only real difference is I get to screw my Audi!

SPIKE_

Vorsprung durch Technik
As I tell My misses who hates my s3 they have more in common than she thinks
They’re both loud
They both cost me a fortune
They both give me head aches
They both make me smile
But the only real difference is I get to screw my Audi!
I assume the other half doesn’t read this forum then or your in trouble :sm4: