Another brake problem!!

kilojade

Reaction score
Guys car was in for service today at 9000miles. Just the oil, I asked them to look at the breaks as they make nasty noise every now and then like abs noise or summit that can happen when breaking hard or even normal! Steering also shakes! So they inspected the breaks and said I need new disk and pads adding to over 1k! Said disc have a lip on them and pads 80% worn....However I did a google search and looks like there is a problem with the breaks and everyone is getting new pads discs ect under warranty! Wtf they just tried to make me pay for them!!! They said they replaced a recall part while doing service summit like break liner. Had the car since new and for 1.5 years now gone through 2 sets of tyres already! Any advice on the breaks ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean brakes right ?

Reactions: s3_trev and DAYTONA 500
Audi upgrade ref: 47i6 kilojade, so many threads already posted here, go read...

Reactions: Sandra
Break ? I dream of the day when we don't have to worry about Audi/Brembo Brakes causing issues for people.

1K crikey ! If they're already updated and worn out I'd be buying the parts myself and doing them.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Just rang TPS near me in Oldham

Discs and pads £ 682.26 including VAT

These are OEM parts

Reactions: MBK and 45bvtc
Yes I got a set from TPS with a bit of discount off that price too.

Reactions: T-800
update! audi refused to change my disc and pads after speaking to manger and audi uk. ended up telling them about people on this forum getting there's changed for free due to the problems and that there a new setup now. they said people on the forum don't no what there talking about and must ignore whats said! wtf!! even said the noise i been getting from the brakes can't be diagnosed until i get new brakes so its up to standard....yeah coz once i replace them there will be no f ing noise! :mad:

audi really ******* me off now. so looks like will have to go online and find somewhere i can buy the disc/pads from, anyone?

just can't get over it why they need changing already at 9k miles!

You can buy anti squeal shims ! Try that first .. Item number :330807450506 on ebay !

Last edited:
when i run my finger across the brake disc it feels wavy! like i have had stones stuck in the pads making groves in the disc....i no its not due to that but what would cause the disc to feel wavy like that? the rears are smooth!

update! audi refused to change my disc and pads after speaking to manger and audi uk. ended up telling them about people on this forum getting there's changed for free due to the problems and that there a new setup now. they said people on the forum don't no what there talking about and must ignore whats said! wtf!! even said the noise i been getting from the brakes can't be diagnosed until i get new brakes so its up to standard....yeah coz once i replace them there will be no f ing noise! :mad:

audi really ******* me off now. so looks like will have to go online and find somewhere i can buy the disc/pads from, anyone?

just can't get over it why they need changing already at 9k miles!

Where are you??? Come talk to me... PM me... Whatever!

Both the original and upgrade brakes are superb, the upgrade better: and yes both'll squeal, but it ain't hard to resolve, and it's been said so many times before... Your choice...

Reactions: T-800 and Mr_Freeze
but its not the squeal i am bothered about now...infact it doesn't squeal anymore! i just need new brakes as there 80% worn. just wanted audi to sort it like they sorted most people's out but now i have to have the done myself so i am only now looking for best place to buy new disc and pads from

Just had my own one in for its second service with just under 9000 miles, still on the original brakes, no squeals. The only mod carried out this time was the second change to the inner wing deflector. Local dealer has not mentioned brake change, so I am guessing that if you don't ask, its not a mandatory upgrade. Personally not too bothered as the original brakes are great and have no issue with them whatsoever

No Squeals here either !!! (only after a slight change to the OEM updated pads mind you)

Brakes are great

RIP Brake Squeal

In January 2013 Audi said:

"Audi has responded to technical problems with the brakes at the top models Audi RS3 and TT RS and offers a free brake replacement on a modified brake system.

Once customers have been complaining about a half years delayed braking in the wet, stuttering, loud squeak and high wear, the manufacturer has redesigned the brake system on both models. Stephan Reil, Head of Development at quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm, where RS3 and TT RS will be built, and Florian Heuberger, Head of Technology at Audi Service, announced in Auto Motor und Sport that the operator of the affected vehicles can free replacement of the brakes. Affected up to 5700 models of the RS3 from model year 2011 and 6100 TT RS from model year 2010.

Exchange for parts availability from March

"All customers will be helped - free", Quattro Manager Reil insured against auto motor und sport. Audi has modified the brake caliper and the brake pads to eliminate the most common and occur mainly at low speed squealing when braking. The delay in braking effect when wet Audi plans get through a software update in the handle. "An increased since June 2012 and employed in the service aufspielbares ESP update the frequency with which after turning on the windshield, the brake pads are always easily placed on the discs to displace splash," said Quattro development chief Reil. To reduce the thermal load on the RS3-brake, since June 2012 protects the right of the front apron a breathable pinhole built in, which is also upgradeable."

While last year the then MD of Audi UK wrote to inform me:

"Eliminating the root cause was what we were aiming for and as such we changed the design of the brake callipers. Two precisely specified mass dampers were added along with a modified pad back plate – by cutting in half-moon shaped recesses. The mass dampers modify the frequency (formerly felt as an annoying squeal) so it will no longer be audible. The recess in the back plate slightly angles one pair of the calliper pistons to eliminate the play inside the calliper bore holes which before has led to vibrations and consequently to undesired noise."

And that's why I had the 47i6 upgrade done.!

So any of you guys that have NOT had the 47i6 upgrade done on your car then I'd strongly recommend you read the January 2013 statement (as published in Von Auto Motor und Sport) and get yours done.

PS: I and another RS3 owner have experienced low speed/light pedal load brake squeal with the 47i6 upgrade but both of us have since resolved the issue.

Reactions: warren_S5

So any of you guys that have NOT had the 47i6 upgrade done on your car then I'd strongly recommend you read the January 2013 statement (as published in Von Auto Motor und Sport) and get yours done.

PS: I and another RS3 owner have experienced low speed/light pedal load brake squeal with the 47i6 upgrade but both of us have since resolved the issue.

PS #2: On my car, and at least one other, the 47i6 brake pads were incorrectly fitted: these 47i6 brake pads are 'directional' and while one pad/caliper was fitted correctly 'with' brake disc rotation' the other was fitted 'against' brake disc rotation resulting in the 'half-moon shaped recess' aligned against the wrong caliper piston.

Note: I only discovered this recently when addressing the slight low speed brake squeal that had just then happened, and with 100% assistance from another knowledgeable hands-on RS3 owner having exactly the same post 47i6 low-speed brake-squeal issue, was able to resolve the problem...

I mean, when you look at the 47i6 brake pads, it does seem clear as to how they should be fitted... :ermm:

BrakesTT RS2

Reactions: KKM
guys i been thinking about having my disc skimmed. cost £60 so will save me like £300+ for new disc bad idea?

guys i been thinking about having my disc skimmed. cost £60 so will save me like £300+ for new disc bad idea?

i have had disc's skimmed before (They do it on the car) they work fine but you tend to get a little bit longer brake pedal travel

on the RS3 i think i would just stomach the bill

Audi put the brake fix on my card with 1mm left of pads and the disc's totally shot :) tbh it needs to be done purly because the pads do not last

<3 Audi

cheers mate, i may have to arrr just ******* me off with them refusing to sort it when they no there is a problem! :(

sod it audi are doing it for the £780 all in :(

i did mention about the 47i6 upgrade and they said no it will be the same thats on it now! and if there is a problem still then they will do the upgrade. wtf!!!
even though they have on record me complaining about brake squeal since the day i bought the dam car! think they just want me to waste my money when they will end up just doing the upgrade anyway

i did mention about the 47i6 upgrade and they said no it will be the same thats on it now! and if there is a problem still then they will do the upgrade. wtf!!!
even though they have on record me complaining about brake squeal since the day i bought the dam car! think they just want me to waste my money when they will end up just doing the upgrade anyway

Unfortunately you didn't telephone me as invited as it's now costing you £'s... :shrug:

Read again Post #14 where it says specifically ""Audi has responded to technical problems with the brakes at the top models Audi RS3 and TT RS and offers a free brake replacement on a modified brake system."

I am not making this up...

And my brakes were 100% PERFECT (having sorted the brake squeal with the self-adhesive anti-squeal shims) pre-upgrade; I only had the upgrade for the reasons given in Post #14, as shown here:

RS3_096_zps43a2c4d6.jpg

ALL NEW brakes (discs, pads, caliper, etc) and FREE...:thumbsup:

Reactions: ex911driver
Mate audi refused to do it being tight ***! I told them about everyone getting there's done due to the problems ect trust I battled it out with audi uk just didn't get anywhere so there is no info I can now say to them to make them think oh ok will change them if no what I mean? Because there 80% worn, hence why I have to have same brakes re done then if problem is still there then they will do the upgrade for free. You you think I still have a chance let me know and I will dam sure call you mate ;)

In January 2013 Audi said:

"Audi has responded to technical problems with the brakes at the top models Audi RS3 and TT RS and offers a free brake replacement on a modified brake system.

Once customers have been complaining about a half years delayed braking in the wet, stuttering, loud squeak and high wear, the manufacturer has redesigned the brake system on both models. Stephan Reil, Head of Development at quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm, where RS3 and TT RS will be built, and Florian Heuberger, Head of Technology at Audi Service, announced in Auto Motor und Sport that the operator of the affected vehicles can free replacement of the brakes. Affected up to 5700 models of the RS3 from model year 2011 and 6100 TT RS from model year 2010.

Exchange for parts availability from March

"All customers will be helped - free", Quattro Manager Reil insured against auto motor und sport. Audi has modified the brake caliper and the brake pads to eliminate the most common and occur mainly at low speed squealing when braking. The delay in braking effect when wet Audi plans get through a software update in the handle. "An increased since June 2012 and employed in the service aufspielbares ESP update the frequency with which after turning on the windshield, the brake pads are always easily placed on the discs to displace splash," said Quattro development chief Reil. To reduce the thermal load on the RS3-brake, since June 2012 protects the right of the front apron a breathable pinhole built in, which is also upgradeable."

While last year the then MD of Audi UK wrote to inform me:

"Eliminating the root cause was what we were aiming for and as such we changed the design of the brake callipers. Two precisely specified mass dampers were added along with a modified pad back plate – by cutting in half-moon shaped recesses. The mass dampers modify the frequency (formerly felt as an annoying squeal) so it will no longer be audible. The recess in the back plate slightly angles one pair of the calliper pistons to eliminate the play inside the calliper bore holes which before has led to vibrations and consequently to undesired noise."

Mate where did you get the above statement from? I going to reopen my case but they want to have the direct link to that statement ??

I do not believe that if you rang Audi UK up that you wouldn't get no joy ??

I had the same issue and my pads were worn down (so much so in the end the light came on to tell me to have them changed) Audi even said it was ok to drive while they waited for the updated parts from Germany, it shouldn't make any difference that your pads are worn.

Are you 100% sure that the update has not been done (if you didn't own the car from new) ?

If it hasn't (check 45bvtc post above you can see the disc part number and check against yours)

If it hasn't ring Audi UK (they are open saturdays as i spoke to them on a saturday when having mine changed) TELL them you have brake squeal and you INSIST they book your car in to a centre (IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THE CENTRE YOU ARE DEALING WITH NOW) there must be another dealership near you they can book it into as the one your dealing with don't sound very helpful !!!!!!!!!!!

Ring JOHN (45bvtc) it'll save you £££ and you'll have a friend for life !!!!!!!!!!!!:friends:

Reactions: wickedstef and Moschops
Mate where did you get the above statement from? I going to reopen my case but they want to have the direct link to that statement ??

If they still mess you around...e-mail this guy...Craig.westwood@audi.co.uk

He will get things moving...

As said at the bottom of the post "So any of you guys that have NOT had the 47i6 upgrade done on your car then I'd strongly recommend you read the January 2013 statement (as published in Von Auto Motor und Sport) and get yours done."

I respectfully suggest you telephone Audi Customer Services on Monday morning and complain of: 1) intermittent low speed brake squeal, 2) occasional vibration under braking, and 3) occasional brake fade in wet conditions: and or ALL of which will get you the 47i6 upgrade

And remember the 'intermittent' and/or 'occasional' as several guys have taken cars in to the Audi dealer unable to replicate the issue, but you MUST report the issues to Audi Customer Services FIRST

Hope this helps, and THANK YOU Sean and Wayne for the kind words :hi:

Reactions: KKM
thanks for all the help guys... i need to go though a diff audi dealer this time! chris from audi uk manager is the 1 who delt with my problems and i did mention everything! about brake squeal, steering shaking and another strange noise. but it was the audi dealer (stockport audi) that just refused and refused! so i will now try manchester audi where i bought the car from in the 1st place from new! and hopefully they should have on record about my complaints about the brake's from the start!!

will update everyone. thanks again

thanks for all the help guys... i need to go though a diff audi dealer this time! chris from audi uk manager is the 1 who delt with my problems and i did mention everything! about brake squeal, steering shaking and another strange noise. but it was the audi dealer (stockport audi) that just refused and refused! so i will now try manchester audi where i bought the car from in the 1st place from new! and hopefully they should have on record about my complaints about the brake's from the start!!

will update everyone. thanks again

'P'LEASE... Some dealers, as you've already found, will NOT undertake the upgrade UNLESS authorised by UK Audi Customer Services. PLEASE just call them on Monday morning and complain nicely! REMEMBER "£780 in all". For me that's a lot of £££s, don't know about you, but I'd be on the phone to Audi Customer Services and complainnnnning on Monday morning: try 0800 699 88.

PM sent...

Oh, and take a couple of hours and read back through the wonderful RS3 Forum and read previous brake-squeal issues and resolutions - it applies to you too!

Strange How Stockport Audi refused it as they did mine (however i wouldn't go back as they were hopeless at customer service)

However Kilojade, i did ring Audi CS up first as they will then get things moving and they WILL ask you which Centre you prefer to go to, if i had to choose between the 2, Manchester would be the better option (I'll never ever go back to Stockport) its just a shame i don't live closer to Stafford Audi as they have really good feedback.

Whatever you do, STAND YOUR GROUND DO NOT TAKE ANY FLANEL !!!!!!!!

'P'LEASE... Some dealers, as you've already found, will NOT undertake the upgrade UNLESS authorised by UK Audi Customer Services. PLEASE just call them on Monday morning and complain nicely! REMEMBER "£780 in all". For me that's a lot of £££s, don't know about you, but I'd be on the phone to Audi Customer Services and complainnnnning on Monday morning: try 0800 699 88.

PM sent...

Oh, and take a couple of hours and read back through the wonderful RS3 Forum and read previous brake-squeal issues and resolutions - it applies to you too!

SOOO TRUE !!!

Maybe by now they are even putting the Brembo Pads in with the arrows pointing down HA HA !!!!

If as you say Audi Said"it will be the same thats on it now" then your car has already got the latest parts same as {47i6}.

Reactions: T-800
Guys going to call audi customer service on Monday,

Audi uk is who I have been speaking to for over 1 week now. As I sent them big email complaining and 1 of the mangers at audi uk called me and we went though the hole thing again I left it with him to sort out with stockpot audi as was closest to me, and after about 3 calls back and forth they refused to do it due to the brakes being 80% worn. I have had the car from new and doesn't not have the upgraded parts already on it as I have checked the code on the disc as stated in another thread. So I will call audi customer service and re-open my case and kick off once again! This time I will go though Manchester audi.

Will update let you no what happens thanks guys

If as you say Audi Said"it will be the same thats on it now" then your car has already got the latest parts same as {47i6}.

I have checked and it doesn't have them parts on it mate, they said they don't even no what I mean about upgraded parts so they are full of ****!!

for god sake!! after 1 hour on phone to audi uk and manchester audi this is what there saying

1st of all needing new brakes at 9000miles is normal due to being a high performance car.
2nd they make the squeal noise and brake judder because there 80% worn
3rd of all they won't do anything until i have new brakes done that i have to pay for. then if still have the same problem then they will replace them...all because there 80% worn.
and that statement is false so there saying!! and won't go off a copy/paste anyway.

so looks like i have been had over by ****ing audi!!

Last edited:
update, audi uk have confirmed that the above statement was not posted by audi!

:confused:

update, audi uk have confirmed that the above statement was not posted by audi!

:confused:

Correct, as stated in posts #14, #22 and #27 above.

That said you're the only UK RS3 owner I've come across who's been refused the 47i6 upgrade.

Interesting :think:

so that isn't a statement from audi then?
In January 2013 Audi said ???

i no pisssing me off now! they saying if they had more life in the brakes and the problem is there then they would replace them. but coz there 80% worn that could be why i have the problems. so until i pay for new brakes they can't do anything….when new brakes are done and i still have problem then they will replace them