Another brake problem!!

I agree 100% with Audis decision,in your own words you've had the car for 1.5 years from new done 9000 miles gone through 2 sets of tyres and your brakes need replacing because their 80% worn , its only now you're asking for the free 47i6 brake update when you've clearly been driving the car "like you've stole it" ,the brakes are worn out {same as the 2 sets of tyres that you replaced} its called wear and tear {due to the way you've been driving}.When you replaced the 2 sets of tyres did you contact the tyre manufacture to complain that you're tyres have worn out?.I had the 47i6 update applied to my RS3 and you are the only one i know of thats been refused, the information about the brake update has been freely available on several forums for nearly as long as the 1.5years you've had the car .

Reactions: 8PARSY
guys just check out the state! of my discs! and they say thats normal wear! bull sh*t!!! see the lines on the discs well there indents! like the pads have some kind of hard bits in them. wtf

PhotoPhoto copy

Very strange turn of events how come it was so long before you reported the squeal if I may ask ?

I agree 100% with Audis decision,in your own words you've had the car for 1.5 years from new done 9000 miles gone through 2 sets of tyres and your brakes need replacing because their 80% worn , its only now you're asking for the free 47i6 brake update when you've clearly been driving the car "like you've stole it" ,the brakes are worn out {same as the 2 sets of tyres that you replaced} its called wear and tear {due to the way you've been driving}.When you replaced the 2 sets of tyres did you contact the tyre manufacture to complain that you're tyres have worn out?.I had the 47i6 update applied to my RS3 and you are the only one i know of thats been refused, the information about the brake update has been freely available on several forums for nearly as long as the 1.5years you've had the car .

this is my girlfriends car and does not! get blown about! look back at previous post's when i 1st bough the car the steering wheel was out of line on tracking was out. we driven the car like this for months! hence worn tyres out! quick fit did the tracking as was shocked how bad it was even though audi said there is nothing wrong and they re-alined the steering wheel 3x back and forth until steering wheel was straight. not sure if was anything to do with the tracking though

ps: the conts that on the car are **** and known for extreme wear says quick fit

hence now have 4 new mits super sports.

Last edited:
Very strange turn of events how come it was so long before you reported the squeal if I may ask ?

2 days after i bought the car i reported the squeal (no fix) about 3months later car back into audi to have the steering wheel sorted. i asked again about brakes and again no fix! i then popped back on here 3 weeks ago ish and noticed there must be a fix so straight back to audi i went.

going off them pics anyone think thats normal wear? why are they so ****ed!

does 1 set of pads really totally destroy the disc's? and thats acceptable ?

Last edited:
Couldn't this be the result of the metallic pins in the pad, indicative of very worn out/to be changed pads? I thought that was the point. Did you get the brakes light on during driving?

Couldn't this be the result of the metallic pins in the pad, indicative of very worn out/to be changed pads? I thought that was the point. Did you get the brakes light on during driving?

For me wickedstef those are pads are 2/3 worn maximum, and with some way to go before the wear contacts would be activated.

There are indeed 4-brass pins in each pad, however, the grooves in those discs are across the full face of the disc and not just located to the position of the pins.

I would have expected a lot of noise from those front brakes during application, and kilojade hasn't mentioned that...

Do both front discs have the same wear characteristics, I wonder, and are they similarly worn/grooved on both the inside and outside face of each disc, and is the pad wear the same on all 4-pads?

so that isn't a statement from audi then?
In January 2013 Audi said ???

It was actually a quote from Stephen Reil in a German magazine :-

Google Translate

The problem you face is that you may have "missed the boat" on getting this fix now, especially with the other brake problems you have. Have you anything written down / emailed from last year about the squealing that you could show Audi and convince them you complained at the time, but was told there was no fix yet ?

Most of us on here registered our complaint with Audi UK back in November 2012 - February 2013. The fix came out around April 2013 I think, but only to those who had registered a complaint.

Reactions: 45bvtc
guys very good new's!

well i closed the case with audi uk as they couldn't do anything about it with getting refused by the dealer's to do the upgrade.

was ready to give up! until i tried 1 last time. i asked if i can bring the car down to manchester audi and speak with the technician there face to face. (the guy who does the demos when reporting problems) wanted them to look at the disc's and tell me face to face that the way they have worn is normal…then was going to leave it at that.

so 2 days later booked the appointment went down monday morning…we walked out to the car had a look at the disc and said ****** hell stockport audi said thats normal? lol he said there knackerd! we jumped in the car (test drive) we didn't even get out the carpark before he said thats enough…he said don't worry i don't no why they refused the upgrade after seeing and feeling how bad they are…leave it with us until tuesday afternoon and will have all new disc's/pads/calipers fitted for free!

so buzzing someone actually seen sense and agreed they was ****ed! :rock:

then later found my brake complaints was logged on the system 3x all within 6 months of when i bought the car… but i didn't log it with audi uk so my bad….(stockport audi said there was no log) but must be a different system to manchester audi then.

thanks for all help and advice.

Reactions: fletch, wickedstef, monkeyboy_marcus and 1 other person
I had mine replaced about 12 months ago, I had complained to Audi about this and after reading on here I rang up about the issue again quoted the 47i6 and they rang me back 2 hours later and told me the parts were now on order and to bring it down in 10 days when the parts arrived.

47i6 should not be refused to any RS3 owner I logged my brake squeal issue before the official fix had been released and had my pads replaced as a first step as there were horrific heat spots on the pads. The squeal came straight back so I had the 47i6 update and a couple of brake duct updates but the squeal came back again albeit not a bad as before and at a lower pitch. As I have so many issues with my RS3 Audi UK authorised a second 47i6 kit to be fitted to my car as the squeal could be easily be replicated even with the 47i6 kit fitted so I guess fitting could have attributed to this. The second 47i6 kit has now been on for 1000 miles or so and greatly improved over the last kit but I would not call my brakes totally silent.

I feel your pain, i had the same issue with the 47i6 update, all was quiet then it started to squeal suddenly, didn't take it back to Audi as I'd be wasting my time !

Applied my own 'Fix' and have had no noise since :)

I feel your pain, i had the same issue with the 47i6 update, all was quiet then it started to squeal suddenly, didn't take it back to Audi as I'd be wasting my time !

Applied my own 'Fix' and have had no noise since :)

So far its only really squealed on a couple of occasions so not a big issue yet. I am not convinced 47i6 is a complete 'fix' however whilst Audi keep replacing my brakes for free they will keep getting my car back until they resolve it.

If it does get unbearable I will look at fitting shims as I know 45bvtc has had success with these or trying the Brembo Sport front anti squeal pads.

What was your fix out of interest? I did start looking at ceramics but then the prices came back!

We, Sean and I, had the same slow speed/light pedal brake squeal at the same time, post 47i6.

I cured mine very quickly (the next day) with an alternative to the Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims, as shown (my 47i6 upgraded pads @ 1200 miles).

And PLEASE note that these shims ARE directional as ARE the brake pads - and therein lies another story...

Sean has since applied the same shims but needed an additional tweak - I'll let Sean explain, as it IS a very interesting find...

And if proof were needed, those Reqill 'tuned absorbers' (2/caliper) are indeed ineffective...

Attachments

• P1000475xx.jpg
    P1000475xx.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Reactions: 8PARSY and monkeyboy_marcus
So far its only really squealed on a couple of occasions so not a big issue yet. I am not convinced 47i6 is a complete 'fix' however whilst Audi keep replacing my brakes for free they will keep getting my car back until they resolve it.

If it does get unbearable I will look at fitting shims as I know 45bvtc has had success with these or trying the Brembo Sport front anti squeal pads.

What was your fix out of interest? I did start looking at ceramics but then the prices came back!

John had known about my ongoing squeal as I have been in regular contact with him about it (decided against posting as didn't want more Audi RS3 bashing from others) so I decided to take matters into my own hands literally and with Johns help found the shims pictured above, stripped the brake setup down and applied them, however my squeal remained and John's vanished !
So I started exploring 'other' options with the ONLY one that worked 100% was chamfering the front and rear (not top & bottom) edges of the friction material.
The only thing I can think of as to why this worked is 'my' pads must have been rubbing on the outer lip of the disc and this was causing the noise !!
I did this 5-6 weeks ago and had NO squeal at all since.

Reactions: 8PARSY and 45bvtc
John had known about my ongoing squeal as I have been in regular contact with him about it (decided against posting as didn't want more Audi RS3 bashing from others) so I decided to take matters into my own hands literally and with Johns help found the shims pictured above, stripped the brake setup down and applied them, however my squeal remained and John's vanished !
So I started exploring 'other' options with the ONLY one that worked 100% was chamfering the front and rear (not top & bottom) edges of the friction material.
The only thing I can think of as to why this worked is 'my' pads must have been rubbing on the outer lip of the disc and this was causing the noise !!
I did this 5-6 weeks ago and had NO squeal at all since.

Welcome home...

And get back to work, if only to support us pensioners...

Reactions: 8PARSY
Welcome home...

And get back to work, if only to support us pensioners...

HA HA !!!! Thanks.

Been to Somerset and back today delivering a job we made before I went away so I'm knackered .......

Reactions: 8PARSY, Kelza and 45bvtc
... trying the Brembo Sport front anti squeal pads...

Mate, I've had these for over a year now and they've been excellent. However, just recently there has been a high pitched "hiss" during the same optimal squealing climatic conditions/slow stop, which leads me to wonder whether the anti-squeal shim on the back of the pads is wearing thin...

Hi John, where did you source these from mate?

EBay Marcus; researched elsewhere and found on eBay listed as:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 5 6 7 8 9 Brembo Front Pad Anti Squeal Shim Kit FQ RS

Note the word Brembo in the description :yes: oh yes!

The Brembo part number is: Brembo 98.5032.40

The Mitsubishi part number is: Mitsubishi MR475618

Application: simply add a smear of CeraTEC or Copperslip between the shim and the existing 'soft' anti-squeal shim on the back of the brake pad and again between the shim and the brake pistons.

Note: these shims are directional, as is the 47i6 brake pad; however, Audi fitted my pads incorrectly with 2-pads in the correct rotation and 2-pads in the wrong rotation (Sean's too) :sadlike: and so if fitting yourself you need to check brake pad fitment as it IS important that the 'cut-outs' are in the correct position (and is why the pads have a different part number...).

Mate, I've had these for over a year now and they've been excellent. However, just recently there has been a high pitched "hiss" during the same optimal squealing climatic conditions/slow stop, which leads me to wonder whether the anti-squeal shim on the back of the pads is wearing thin...

I'd put money on it Marcus. The brake caliper pistons wore through the anti-squeal shims on my original brake pads in 1250 miles (September to February) and the same occurred with the new brake pads supplied with the 47i6 upgrade i.e., 1250 or so miles and again September to February.

The anti-squeal shims on these Audi brake pads NEED protecting with maybe :unsure: a Brembo shim :idea:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
I'd put money on it Marcus. The brake caliper pistons wore through the anti-squeal shims on my original brake pads in 1250 miles (September to February) and the same occurred with the new brake pads supplied with the 47i6 upgrade i.e., 1250 or so miles and again September to February.

The anti-squeal shims on these Audi brake pads NEED protecting with maybe :unsure: a Brembo shim :idea:

I second that John :iagree:

Reactions: 8PARSY, monkeyboy_marcus and 45bvtc
EBay Marcus; researched elsewhere and found on eBay listed as:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 5 6 7 8 9 Brembo Front Pad Anti Squeal Shim Kit FQ RS

Note the word Brembo in the description :yes: oh yes!

The Brembo part number is: Brembo 98.5032.40

The Mitsubishi part number is: Mitsubishi MR475618

Application: simply add a smear of CeraTEC or Copperslip between the shim and the existing 'soft' anti-squeal shim on the back of the brake pad and again between the shim and the brake pistons.

Note: these shims are directional, as is the 47i6 brake pad; however, Audi fitted my pads incorrectly with 2-pads in the correct rotation and 2-pads in the wrong rotation (Sean's too) :sadlike: and so if fitting yourself you need to check brake pad fitment as it IS important that the 'cut-outs' are in the correct position (and is why the pads have a different part number...).

Aha, I'd gone searching on "Reqill tuned absorbers" and got nowhere.

Ta for the additional comments and advice.

Do you know off-hand if they will fit the Brembo sport pads? I believe that you also bought a pair but have stuck with the Audi direct replacements...

Aha, I'd gone searching on "Reqill tuned absorbers" and got nowhere.

Ta for the additional comments and advice.

Do you know off-hand if they will fit the Brembo sport pads? I believe that you also bought a pair but have stuck with the Audi direct replacements...

Yes Marcus, these anti-squeal shims will fit the Brembo Sports pads, tried 'em against the un-used set I have: again, the fit for you is straightforward as all you'll need to apply is Copperslip or CeraTEC.

Interesting, does this mean the 'Brembo Sport Pad' eventually turns out to be a squeaker ?

Interesting, does this mean the 'Brembo Sport Pad' eventually turns out to be a squeaker ?

More of an occasional "hisser" but not audible with closed windows and not a head turned either, plus only after circa 10k miles. Hopefully John's latest fix will do the job, again.

Yes Marcus, these anti-squeal shims will fit the Brembo Sports pads, tried 'em against the un-used set I have: again, the fit for you is straightforward as all you'll need to apply is Copperslip or CeraTEC.

Got this response from the seller on eBay: "We are currently out of the Brembo 4 pot front shims, they are due back in, in the next 2 months. Regards, Luke ICP, Tel: 01388 834204, www.importcarparts.co.uk". Have asked for an email heads up when they're back in stock. Bit surprised to be back here a year on, looking to reduce brake noise again without Audi's help - thanks John, again!

Got this response from the seller on eBay: "We are currently out of the Brembo 4 pot front shims, they are due back in, in the next 2 months. Regards, Luke ICP, Tel: 01388 834204, www.importcarparts.co.uk". Have asked for an email heads up when they're back in stock. Bit surprised to be back here a year on, looking to reduce brake noise again without Audi's help - thanks John, again!

CAMSKILL are listing Marcus, but at £££'s: and they don't say if they're in stock.

Maybe ICP have sold out to other RS3/TTRS owners? I have 'typically' assisted others on alternative forums (note the little 'f') with this self-same issue... :o.k:

Me? I'd wait for the ICP ones as they come in BREMBO wrappers!

By the way, I sent my wrappers to Milton Keynes and yes, you're right, no response..
:keule:

Well well,

I have brake squeal again :scared2:

Noticed it last night and confirmed again this morning.

Stafford Audi have already had an email as last week the Discs have shown signs of 'Scoring' on both sides.

Well well,

I have brake squeal again :scared2:

Noticed it last night and confirmed again this morning.

Stafford Audi have already had an email as last week the Discs have shown signs of 'Scoring' on both sides.

I have done approx 3500 miles since the last 47i6 replacement (my second) but these have mostly been motorway and autobahn miles so haven't heard much squeal, and its not yet demonstrable as my original setup and first 47i6 replacement were. I am sure after a couple of months of driving around central London some squeal will come back it just depends how unbearable it gets.