Another build/progress thread (sort of) - my S3

Audiabc7

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a little "build" thread for my S3, since it's been a while since I got the car and have done a few mods so far and planning on doing some more stuff... I'm still pretty new to this forum, seems like a nice place with a lot of great info and stuff :)

The car is a 2008 model year phantom black with pretty much all the options I wanted (buckets, RNS-E, flat bottom steering wheel etc.)

My build will probably be something like 60% looks and detailing and 40% performance (mostly handling and smaller upgrades, no big turbos for me), my goal is to make the car as fun to drive as possible without sacrificing all of the comfort and going completely nuts:p Already have a stage 1 remap from the previous owner so I'm more than satisfied with the power, at least for now... This will most likely be somewhat of a long-term project since time and money always limits things a bit :p

onto some pictures and the stuff I've done so far..

the car when I bought it, looked ok but the paintwork was pretty bad, a lot of swirls and nasty stuff..
IMG 1629 m

First thing I did was a full detail and polish, also installed new license plates and plate holders for a cleaner look
DSC 3934 HDR m

quite happy with the paintwork
IMG 1637

Been looking at the shift knob from the A1 quattro for like 2 years, decided to get one since it blends in nicely with the rest of the S3 interior, also did the ashtray delete at the same time

out with the ashtray and old knob...
IMG 1678

...and done:)
IMG 1695

DSC 4064 1

Another small but essential mod.. interior LEDs from t8ups
another mod related to the shifter.. 42 draft designs shifter bushings, the whole shifter mechanism was feeling a bit sloppy so I decided to replace all the shifter parts while at it. Sorted out the "problem" nicely
IMG 1776

that's it for now, more stuff to come in the future, waiting for the snow to arrive up here in sweden so I can get out and have some quattro fun :)

Attachments

• DSC_4057_2.JPG
    DSC_4057_2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 4,965
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DeeGee68, S3 OKR and s3_trev
Could you tell me more about the 42 DD bushes please? Do they fit to any short shifter kit? Advantages over standard?

Could you tell me more about the 42 DD bushes please? Do they fit to any short shifter kit? Advantages over standard?
I can't really say how much of a difference the bushings alone will make as I replaced the entire shifter, side-to-side bracket and endlinks at the same time, but the shifter feels much more solid and firm, and the shifting feels more smooth and "connected" to the gearbox since the bushings don't allow any movement in the endlinks. You should also be able to shift faster and more precisely.

As for compatibility, they should fit the most short shifters, like the Forge and Neuspeed, if you leave the side-to-side bracket stock. I think an aftermarket side-to-side shifter would require a different set of bushings but can't say which ones..

Reactions: s3_trev
Thanks for that reply. Can I ask which shifter kit you went for? And the bracket and end links? This is something I would really like to do to my own car.

replaced everything with oem S3 parts, except for the bushings ofc. the shifter parts were all pretty worn out making the shifter feel loose and sloppy so I replaced everything while at it.The S3 shifter is already somewhat shorter than a regular A3 one so didn't really need an even shorter one, plus I've read a lot about guys having trouble engaging gears properly etc. with the short shift kits so didn't wanna risk that either :p

Reactions: s3_trev
i like the a1 gear knob mate and i'm thinking about getting one for my s3, does it have anymore weight to it than the standard s3 knob?

i like the a1 gear knob mate and i'm thinking about getting one for my s3, does it have anymore weight to it than the standard s3 knob?
Not that I have noticed anyway, to me it feels exactly the same as the standard knob. Don't think the knob alone will make any difference to the overall shifting feel and weight, although the aluminum feels damn nice to touch!:)

^ thanks mate. i'm trying to source a weighted gear knob as i feel the oem s3 one is a bit too light and doesnt provide that positive engagement feel...

I see.. The gear knob basically just operates the two wires connected to the shifter assembly on top of the gearbox, so I don't think the knob alone will make any noticeable difference. You might wanna look into some kind of adjustable short shifter, the ECS tuning one has some kind of weight plates included so you can adjust the feel and weight of the shifter that way. The 42DD shifter bushings I've installed also make a quite big difference to the shifting and gear engagement feel, so you might wanna look into those as well :)

^ thanks mate, i've got the forge short shift front to back and side to side, the 42dd shifter bushes and the verdict motorsport mounting bushes, i'm really just after a weighted gear knob. from previous experiance you'll be surprised at the difference it makes...

Sounds like you're going for the ultimate shifting feel :) Had no idea that a knob alone would make much difference.. Maybe some kind of aftermarket steel knob would do the trick?

does those verdict motorsport bushings make any noticeable difference? I assume they are for the linkage bracket the wires go through?

Nice gear knob! I switched out my shifter in the old 8L S3 for the metal one and while it looked nice and had a cool glowing LED orb thing going, it was so cold to touch in the winter, I had to use gloves at one point. The reverse was true in the hot summer. Switched it for the 8P one in the end, which was very nice :)

they just remove another rubber mount in the shifter set up so therefore reducing flex and provide a more direct shifter feel...

more info here mate...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5997230-Verdict-Motorsports-Shift-Bushings
Thanks, will definitely get these!:)

Nice gear knob! I switched out my shifter in the old 8L S3 for the metal one and while it looked nice and had a cool glowing LED orb thing going, it was so cold to touch in the winter, I had to use gloves at one point. The reverse was true in the hot summer. Switched it for the 8P one in the end, which was very nice :)
Yeah have that same issue with this knob.. The bucket seats in the swedish winter are another pain in the *** xD but still worth it!

Thanks, will definitely get these!:)

Yeah have that same issue with this knob.. The bucket seats in the swedish winter are another pain in the *** xD but still worth it!
You are a braver man than I am

Reactions: Audiabc7
Time for a small update.. Winter is (hopefully) coming so winter tires are on.. Painted my brake calipers red which I think looks really great along with the S3 spring clips:)

Photo 2014 11 16 13 20 52

Photo 2014 11 16 13 28 00

Also cleaned and polished my summer rims so they're ready when spring arrives...
DSC 4054 1

DSC 4046 1

Looking good mine will be painted soon

Reactions: Audiabc7
Thought I'd post a little "build" thread for my S3, since it's been a while since I got the car and have done a few mods so far and planning on doing some more stuff... I'm still pretty new to this forum, seems like a nice place with a lot of great info and stuff :)

The car is a 2008 model year phantom black with pretty much all the options I wanted (buckets, RNS-E, flat bottom steering wheel etc.)

My build will probably be something like 60% looks and detailing and 40% performance (mostly handling and smaller upgrades, no big turbos for me), my goal is to make the car as fun to drive as possible without sacrificing all of the comfort and going completely nuts:p Already have a stage 1 remap from the previous owner so I'm more than satisfied with the power, at least for now... This will most likely be somewhat of a long-term project since time and money always limits things a bit :p

onto some pictures and the stuff I've done so far..

the car when I bought it, looked ok but the paintwork was pretty bad, a lot of swirls and nasty stuff..
View attachment 45087

First thing I did was a full detail and polish, also installed new license plates and plate holders for a cleaner look
View attachment 45088
View attachment 45089
quite happy with the paintwork
View attachment 45090
Been looking at the shift knob from the A1 quattro for like 2 years, decided to get one since it blends in nicely with the rest of the S3 interior, also did the ashtray delete at the same time

out with the ashtray and old knob...
View attachment 45092

...and done:)
View attachment 45093
View attachment 45094

Another small but essential mod.. interior LEDs from t8ups
View attachment 45096

another mod related to the shifter.. 42 draft designs shifter bushings, the whole shifter mechanism was feeling a bit sloppy so I decided to replace all the shifter parts while at it. Sorted out the "problem" nicely
View attachment 45095

that's it for now, more stuff to come in the future, waiting for the snow to arrive up here in sweden so I can get out and have some quattro fun :)

Where did you get the gear knob from. I've been searching online and can't find anything. Also is it easy to fit ? Thanks

Where did you get the gear knob from. I've been searching online and can't find anything. Also is it easy to fit ? Thanks
I ordered it directly from my audi dealer, but it is also available at a site called BKS-tuning. It is available with a few different stitchings to match with the interior, here are the part numbers for the 6-speed version:

8X0 863 278 J QQX - black stitching
8X0 863 278 J XBA - silver stitching (the one I have)
8X0 863 278 J ZDP - alabaster white stitching
8X0 863 278 J HVI - misano red stitching

There is also a 5-speed version available, I think it has an R instead of the J in the part number:p

My original thread about the knob..
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a1-quattro-aluminum-shift-knob-on-an-s3-8p.225432/

Installation was super easy, just replace your existing knob with the new one:) here's a DIY I found:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?2181944#post23322145

Reactions: S3 OKR
I ordered it directly from my audi dealer, but it is also available at a site called BKS-tuning. It is available with a few different stitchings to match with the interior, here are the part numbers for the 6-speed version:

8X0 863 278 J QQX - black stitching
8X0 863 278 J XBA - silver stitching (the one I have)
8X0 863 278 J ZDP - alabaster white stitching
8X0 863 278 J HVI - misano red stitching

There is also a 5-speed version available, I think it has an R instead of the J in the part number:p

My original thread about the knob..
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a1-quattro-aluminum-shift-knob-on-an-s3-8p.225432/

Installation was super easy, just replace your existing knob with the new one:) here's a DIY I found:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?2181944#post23322145

Thanks really helpful. I want to order from my audi dealer too. How much did you pay for yours...
Thanks again.

Thanks really helpful. I want to order from my audi dealer too. How much did you pay for yours...
Thanks again.
About 1300 swedish kronor, so maybe 110-120 GBP.. that was actually cheaper than BKS-tuning:) was a bit surprised since I thought it would be at least the double being an A1 quattro part...

About 1300 swedish kronor, so maybe 110-120 GBP.. that was actually cheaper than BKS-tuning:) was a bit surprised since I thought it would be at least the double being an A1 quattro part...

Awesome mate looking forward to getting one. Thanks for all the help

Time for an update again, got some small but nice upgrades done to the car just before christmas..

A nice christmas gift to myself, the OEM black optics grill...
Photo 2014 12 23 16 10 22

Also got the front bumper repainted, decided to get the front lip painted in aluminum optics to match the mirrors, turned out really good IMO, especially with the black grill:)
photo-2014-12-23-22-38-38-m-jpg.265013

DSC 4103 1

Upgraded my xenons while the bumper was off for repainting, the old ones were like 5 years old and really started to get a purple tint to them so guess it was time:p decided to go with the Osram xenarc nightbreakers. Have to run them some more to get the light output to the maximum, but they're already a big improvement over the old ones..
DSC 4092 1

Installed the Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings too, didn't make a massive difference since I already got the 42DD bushings but still some improvement in the feel and tightness of the shifter:)
Photo 2014 12 23 14 35 22

The engine definitely needs a wash btw...
Photo 2014 12 23 15 09 21

Winter has finally arrived up here so time for some skiddy stuff in the snow, pretty damn fun I must say, really enjoying how the quattro works when pushed :)
DSC 4094 1

That's it for now, probably some more stuff to come when spring arrives...

Attachments

• Photo 2014-12-23 22 38 38 m.jpg
    Photo 2014-12-23 22 38 38 m.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
Reactions: HHS3
Looks great, what products did you use to detail it fella?
Thanks man! For polishing, I use three menzerna compounds. Fast gloss 400 for the nastiest swirls, wet sanding marks etc, 2400 Power finish for the all-round polishing and swirl removal, and finally 4000 Super finish for that ultimate deep gloss. I also apply a sealant called Ultima paint guard which further improves the gloss and gives a nice wet look to the paint:)

Lovely car, just getting an A3 for myself, do you have a pic of the whole car with the new red calipers?
Have you also put an exhaust system on the car?

Lovely car, just getting an A3 for myself, do you have a pic of the whole car with the new red calipers?
Have you also put an exhaust system on the car?
Thanks, really been enjoying it so far:)

Here's some more pics of the red calipers, will do some proper photoshoots when spring arrives:p
DSC 4106 1

DSC 4108 1

As for the exhaust system, the previous owner had already fitted a cat-back system from ABT sportsline, along with a stage 1 map. Not really a performance system but it sounds pretty nice:) Might get a full Milltek turbo-back sometime if I decide to go stage 2, but the ABT will have to do for now:p

Spring is slowly starting to arrive so time to start working on the car again:)

fitted my summer tyres today, feels really nice..
The wheel wells had not been cleaned properly in ages, so did that too.

gross...
Photo 2015 03 31 16 34 351

let the degreaser work its magic...
Photo 2015 03 31 16 38 311

made a bit of a difference! also dressed the arch liners with some vinyl gloss to restore the finish..
Photo 2015 03 31 17 29 551

Photo 2015 03 31 17 30 061

Bought a TTS engine cover which will be installed along with a Revo intake
Photo 2015 03 22 13 12 471

but first, a custom paint job for the cover :) was thinking about a high gloss red finish on the silver part at first, but the finish was quite rough and I was too lazy to start sanding and filling so ditched that idea and just painted it. Still turned out pretty good. Put on a few layers of clear coat anyway so it still has some gloss to it
Photo 2015 03 24 16 03 551

Photo 2015 03 24 16 03 181

I usually pay attention to details, and the cigarette lighter has bothered me ever since i fitted the ashtray delete, so it was about time to get rid of it! This was much easier than I first thought, a simple 5 minute diy..
Photo 2015 03 31 19 11 411

remove the cross to get access to the clip underneath
Photo 2015 03 31 19 12 281

Photo 2015 03 31 19 14 081

the new oem replacement
Photo 2015 03 31 19 15 001

...and done!
Photo 2015 03 31 19 25 011

How much was the cigarette lighter? And do you have the actual part number for it?

I've tried the one you can see in the picture but doesn't seem to work.

How much was the cigarette lighter? And do you have the actual part number for it?

I've tried the one you can see in the picture but doesn't seem to work.
about 350 swedish kronor, so like £35-40 I guess.. (I got a discount from my dealer)

Part number for the 12v socket I installed is 8P0 863 387 A 6PS (the last 3 letters changes depending on the color/finish of the part)

I have no idea what that other number is or why there even are two of them :p I've seen that on other parts as well..

More stuff happening... Some nice bits and pieces ready for install :)
IMG 1903

Painted some rock chips that were on the car..
IMG 1909

(this is after the full detail)
IMG 1918

Also did a full detail on the car (again, haha) some very minor swirls have appeared, probably from the winter washes... Gotta love black paint:p Really difficult to get a decent picture of these
IMG 1923

...and after the polish with Menzerna 4000 super finish
IMG 1928

IMG 1931

IMG 1936

some "reflection" shots after the polish..
IMG 1944

IMG 1945

Did a quick photo shoot to test my new wide angle DSLR lens :) ofc the car is dirty again after a 100 km drive :(

DSC 4341 12 m

Next project is to install the anti roll bars, a bit scared of doing the front.. :O

Well done ;)
Can you post details of the replacement headlight bulbs What type they are, 4300, 5000k ?

Cheers

Well done ;)
Can you post details of the replacement headlight bulbs What type they are, 4300, 5000k ?

Cheers

The bulbs are called Osram xenarc nightbraker, I think they are 4350K, but initially somewhere around 4100, that is what the picture shows..
Osram only makes them in D1S (which I have) and D2S, facelift cars would require D3S bulbs.
The light output is really impressive, osram claims up to 70 percent brighter than other xenon bulbs, but I'd say more like 10-20, still worth the few extra bucks these cost IMO :)

btw, they were a f*cking nightmare to replace, bumper has to come off and the wiring inside the bulb housing was so tight I had to work it for like half an hour each...

******..great light output, mine is the update 2010 S3 so has D3S.
Could you of got to them from behind the wheel arch?