Another coolant leak thread...

zippyijk

Reaction score
The A3 (2005 2.0 TDI PD140) has been drinking coolant of late, can't see the leak so no doubt I've the dreaded cylinder head crack.
I've contacted Audi in NI to get a price and gave them the part number 03G 103 308 C
They got back to me and said they don't have that number on their system and the correct part number for my car (with use of my VIN) was 03G 103 351 B ??

Has anyone else got this type of head before? ;)
BTW engine is BKD

there was 2 revisions to the head i believe. the B revision still cracked on a regular basis, whereas the C revision hasn't had any cracks reported as far as i'm aware. if they're telling you the part doesn't exist they don't know what they're talking about, although obviously it won't be the part that originally came with your car from the factory.

in regards to whether they are interchangable or not, i believe they are but i'm not a derv driver so someone with more knowledge on the subject will have to help. my advice is to look for cars being broken. that engine is fairly common in the 8P so there'll be loads of cars with that engine being broken and you could probably grab yourself a bargain rather than paying full whack from a dealer.

best of luck anyway. let us know how you get on.

there was 2 revisions to the head i believe. the B revision still cracked on a regular basis, whereas the C revision hasn't had any cracks reported as far as i'm aware. if they're telling you the part doesn't exist they don't know what they're talking about, although obviously it won't be the part that originally came with your car from the factory.

in regards to whether they are interchangable or not, i believe they are but i'm not a derv driver so someone with more knowledge on the subject will have to help. my advice is to look for cars being broken. that engine is fairly common in the 8P so there'll be loads of cars with that engine being broken and you could probably grab yourself a bargain rather than paying full whack from a dealer.

best of luck anyway. let us know how you get on.

Checked around the engine bay for a leak again, nothing :(
Current cylinder head is 03G 103 308 B which is one of the possible porous/cracked heads.
I've not been able to find the 03G 103 308 C on ETKA myself, only able to find the 03G 103 351 B which is for the BKD. (the rev. E is for the 6 speed manual, rev. B is for the DSG) so maybe the dealer is right?

they told me a part didn't exist that i was physically holding my hand. you'd be surprised lol

A forum member Devonmikeyboy has reconditioned heads for BKD engines and will be able to advise which fits onto what !!

Only thing is he hasn't posted for a while so perhaps you could PM him

Just checking around the EGR and noticed its leaking/spiting oil.....
I think I read a while back that cracked heads and spitting egr goes hand in hand :(

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

I have had my Audi since new (07) and it's just started to leak coolant in the last couple of months - very slight i.e. level drops 1cm after two weeks. Took it to the local Audi dealer and they diagnosed an EGR problem. That was replaced but two weeks later, the level is down again! Latest prognosis is a cylinder head leak. On this forum, is sounds highly likely that replacing this will fix it but I also see that it's only believed to be an issue with pre-2005 heads, so odd that Audi have let the fault creep back again?

I have had my Audi since new (07) and it's just started to leak coolant in the last couple of months - very slight i.e. level drops 1cm after two weeks. Took it to the local Audi dealer and they diagnosed an EGR problem. That was replaced but two weeks later, the level is down again! Latest prognosis is a cylinder head leak. On this forum, is sounds highly likely that replacing this will fix it but I also see that it's only believed to be an issue with pre-2005 heads, so odd that Audi have let the fault creep back again?

Bang a bottle of K-Seal into the expansion tank. If it's a very slow seepage it will most likely stop it.

About £7 from Halfrauds etc. !

+1 on the K-Seal, I had a service over a month ago and only 2 weeks later my coolant level was below minimum! took it back to the garage who checked it over and could not find a leak. so he topped it up and gave it back for me to test again, i just chucked in a bottle of K-seal and it has been running fine with no coolant leak for 3 weeks! in fact the coolant went up a little thanks to the K-seal :icon_thumright:

wish i'd done that on the ute im driving!!! Its head went yesterday so I now have loads of watery oil!!! great!

Mine is in for the rebuild at the mo (new head). Hoping to have it back tomorrow evening/saturday.

Got the A3 back from the garage on Saturday night. Went back in on Monday to do the BG flush/treatment.
Car is running well so far, quieter on idle, no smoke.
Still living in fear of the overboost DTC/limp mode it was having before the head was replaced.
I've got the NCT (the Irish MOT) booked for Friday morning so there'll be no lashing her about until then!

Oh in case anyone is interested here's the part numbers and here are some pictures :)

Original Head 03G 103 373 A
New Head 03G 103 351 B

IMG_0190.jpg

New Head:
IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Old Head:
IMAG0541.jpg

IMAG0542.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

IMAG0545.jpg