Another mpg thread! (S3 owners please read!)

TurboBen

Reaction score
I'm aware this topic has been done to death, so bear with me!

I've spoken to Audi UK about concerns I have over my cars mpg. I've been advised to get it booked in to have it looked at, but the last time i spoke to the dealer they blamed my right foot and the fact it's a bit colder this time of year. I'm hoping a few people can post some figures up so I've got something I can fall back on when the dealer gives me the same excuses again, or maybe just to see if I'm being paranoid!

I've just been out and done about 40 miles with the CC set at 70. I got 32.3mpg average (reset mpg 1).

If S3 owners could reset mpg 1 on their trip comp next time you are on the motorway (or other suitable road) and get an average over a couple of miles or so at a constant 70mph and post here, it would be very much appreciated. 50mph average would also be helpful.

If 32 is the best I can expect under these conditions, then that's fine, I didn't buy the car for it's mpg. I'm more concerned that something is amiss (air leak maybe) that is throwing the fuelling off. If everyone else gets similar then it's just me, but I have a feeling most will get in the late 30's to early 40's. I'm considering getting a remap at some point and want to be confident I don't have any underlying issues when I do.

Thanks in advance!

One thing I've learnt after having three VAG turbo 4 cylinder cars, never rely on the onboard fuel data.

Always use the tank full to empty process and km's driven.

Edit - oh and then ofcourse all the usual caveats such as tyre type, tyre pressure, altitude, fuel type, ambient temps, windows down or up, sedan vs SB etc etc etc

My long term over 12k miles is 32.4, mostly fast A roads and mway, hardly any town driving at all.
I can get 42 going towards work (75miles) by driving sensibly but also can get late teens if really giving it stick on the way home.

In my experience 32 at 70 is a little low but not particularly bad, depends on conditions and hills obviously.

I'm aware this topic has been done to death, so bear with me!

I've spoken to Audi UK about concerns I have over my cars mpg. I've been advised to get it booked in to have it looked at, but the last time i spoke to the dealer they blamed my right foot and the fact it's a bit colder this time of year. I'm hoping a few people can post some figures up so I've got something I can fall back on when the dealer gives me the same excuses again, or maybe just to see if I'm being paranoid!

I've just been out and done about 40 miles with the CC set at 70. I got 32.3mpg average (reset mpg 1).

If S3 owners could reset mpg 1 on their trip comp next time you are on the motorway (or other suitable road) and get an average over a couple of miles or so at a constant 70mph and post here, it would be very much appreciated. 50mph average would also be helpful.

If 32 is the best I can expect under these conditions, then that's fine, I didn't buy the car for it's mpg. I'm more concerned that something is amiss (air leak maybe) that is throwing the fuelling off. If everyone else gets similar then it's just me, but I have a feeling most will get in the late 30's to early 40's. I'm considering getting a remap at some point and want to be confident I don't have any underlying issues when I do.

Thanks in advance!

10,019 miles and trip 2 average of 31.7mpg

My daily commute is 15 miles motorway and 10 miles on B roads... (Each way)
I've never got more than 40 on the motorway, even when tickling the throttle.
You'd be surprised at what taking your CC down to 65 will do...

I think your car is getting typical mpg figures....My long term average here is 32mpg, 1-2mpg more on long motorway journeys and 3-4mpg less on my typical 10 mile commute.

I'd be happy with 32mpg...

I average mid 20mpg. I'm also happy with that.

Reactions: David83S3, Simon L and batch
I'm being a smart **** but here goes

I DONT CARE HOW MUCH FUEL MY S3 USES :D

I'm a dying breed but my saving grace is I don't and never will own a diesel so the greenies will be happy.

Reactions: S32B
I'd say your figures are about right, also CC normally uses a little more fuel than a good driver sticking to a similar speed

Only old grannies get 30+ mpg in an S3 ---------- FACT!! :yes:

Reactions: Craig F, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 2 others
I still can't figure out the various live/average MPG readings in the DIS (yes I need to read the manual!) but I tend to hit just under 300 miles to a tank, however with the MTM if I push on I can almost watch the bars go out on the fuel gauge!

Reactions: Simon L
I still can't figure out the various live/average MPG readings in the DIS (yes I need to read the manual!) but I tend to hit just under 300 miles to a tank, however with the MTM if I push on I can almost watch the bars go out on the fuel gauge!

If it has a 1 it is the short term and a 2 the long term. 1 resets after 2 hours of not being driven (off the top of my head)

Reactions: batch
Yup as above that's about right.. I have average 32.8 over last 6k miles. When I bought the car in Nottingham then drove up to Scotland i averaged 38 odd but that was sitting at 71/72 and with cruise on.

I am more than happy with it tbh, but I think on a different method on how much I use though.....it costs me £40 a week regardless what I do.. :) Every Week just stick £40 in and i'm sorted. :)

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
I am showing and average of 34 since I have owned it. On a decent motorway run I expect 38 at very best (doing 70-80). The 50mph limit on the m60 near me is doing my mpg's the world of good however and sometimes see 40!

The best I have had is 42mpg when I first collected the car and did 150 miles and stuck at 65-70.

The cold weather does make a difference. I have noticed a drop from around 350miles to a tank to 330.

If you buy an S3 and worry about mpg , then you are in the wrong car I would suggest .

Reactions: ABYSS, Craig F, WarwickL and 2 others
My trip computer is +1 mpg compared to actual pump fill litres and ODO mileage.

Real figure is 28.5 over 10k miles.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
My trip computer can be anywhere between -ve 5 or +ve5 compared to calculated fuel use. In other words - pointless. Was the same with our GTI and our R. Measured for tax purposes only.

I like to think that Simon would be disappointed if the granny didn't chip in....

If you buy an S3 and worry about mpg , then you are in the wrong car I would suggest .
surely you can like power and money? Why must you accept that having a fast car means miserable fuel economy when modern cars can do both? On my annual 20,000 miles the difference between 32mpg and 20 mpg is around £2k. I've got lots more interesting things I can do with £2k instead of standing on a forecourt p*ssing it up a wall. I like driving fast cars fast (and hate diesels, and autos ;) ), and I can do this and still get a combined 32mpg in my S3. This makes the S3 the right car for someone who "worries about mpg" but likes driving fast.

OP: I'll do your test on the way home up the M1 tonight. (then I will resume my normal cruising speed :))

OP is not happy with 32 though ? I get 27 , which I fully expected , if I it concerned me I would by a diesel (which like you I do not want) . I have had cars which have done 20 , but again was not surprised ... S3 is not a car I would suggest to anyone who wants good mpg .. 32 is far from good, but not far from expected , it's swings and roundabouts, depends what your expectations are , and whet you compare it to ...

Whatever car you buy there is an expectation on fuel consumption. Sadly that expectation is quite often higher than reality because of the outright deception practised by the manufacturers and their response to the legal requirement to publish fuel consumption figures.

Whilst I'm sure there are only a few people on a site for enthusiasts such as this one who feel they should be able to equal what is published. I don't think that is the issue here. TurboBen has seen the claims of better consumption figures than the average 32 he's getting. I know if I drive like a granny I can easily beat 32mpg average.

However it would be good if some one who has achieved low fuel consumption could explain under what circumstances it's been done so Ben can try and match them. Lets be aware that low fuel figures as well as an indicator of a heavy right foot and a big grin can also be due to vehicle problems.

Reactions: S3Alex and Ben Daniel Grant
The OP is rightly not happy with 32mpg, because at a constant 70mph cruise I'd expect high 30s. That's what I think my car will do tonight (albeit according to the lying DIS). It's not about whether 32 is good or bad, it's about whether the car is running right or not, and worse than expected economy is a sign that something's not right.

Reactions: veeeight
I've kept a log of my fill ups and my average is 35.39 mpg over 31,428 miles!

Also, for various reasons, I've been taking it easy lately and for November : 41.07 mpg over 1,409 miles!

Gonna take a deep breath and wait for the "granny" responses!

the way i see it, if you are concerned about the amount of fuel you use, then you can't afford to run it...

just put money/fuel in and drive it. i have never understood why people cry over their mpg, or lack of.

Reactions: Simon L and Daveotto
The OP is rightly not happy with 32mpg, because at a constant 70mph cruise I'd expect high 30s. That's what I think my car will do tonight (albeit according to the lying DIS). It's not about whether 32 is good or bad, it's about whether the car is running right or not, and worse than expected economy is a sign that something's not right.

Sorry have got to disagree here on two points. Firstly the weight of facts and data in this thread and various others on the same subject on this forum and from other sources say low 30's is typical for an S3. Secondly, "lying DIS" facts and data please? Several threads here show that it is inaccurate but that's the nature of the beast as it estimates over a period of time and numerous journeys and compared to an accurate measure of miles driven and metered fuel added it may be inaccurate but is unfair to say it lies.

On the other hand I do agree that whether the car is running "good" or "bad" is another matter and using fuel consumption is only one rough and ready indicator of poor performance as there are so many other contributory factors to fuel consumption

Last edited:
Sorry have got to disagree here on two points. Firstly the weight of facts and data in this thread and various others on the same subject on this forum and from other sources say low 30's is typical for an S3. Secondly, "lying DIS" facts and data please? Several threads here show that it is inaccurate but that's the nature of the beast as it estimates over a period of time and numerous journeys and compared to an accurate measure of miles driven and metered fuel added it may be inaccurate but is unfair to say it lies.

On the other hand I do agree that whether the car is running "good" or "bad" is another matter and using fuel consumption is only one rough and ready indicator of poor performance as there are so many other contributory factors to fuel consumption

I have no "facts and data" for you, I just know from my experience that the DIS is not spot on, and always seems to read high. If I use the brim to brim method I get about 2mpg less than the DIS stated, and from other comments I've seen on this forum this seems to be typical. Maybe I shouldn't have branded the poor DIS a liar, let's go with optimistic. As for your "weight of facts and data", where are your facts and data? I think high 30s mpg is typical for an S3 driven smoothly at 70 mph on a motorway (the OP's scenario). I agree that low 30's is typical in combined driving (my lying DIS ;) tells me I have got 31.5mpg over 20k miles). This data is from a sample size of one, mine.

Reactions: Daveotto
Steeve and NickyF have hit the nail on the head. I don't care what my mpg is, as long as the car is running as it should. I seem to be 20% down on what I should be getting, which is telling me something is not right.

Those quoting average 2 are not helping. There are too many factors that affect it, such as the amount of lead in your right boot and where you are driving the car. I've had avg2 as low as 21mpg if driving normally, 27 if I drive like a granny. I cannot achieve over 30 under everyday driving conditions, no matter how gently I drive the car, so those saying 32 is ok are kind of proving my point.

The 32 average I get is over a few miles at a constant 70mph. Clear, flat roads with no traffic. The only exception was after about 40 miles, I very gently span the car around to head back the way I came, so even a headwind can be ruled out!

Yup as above that's about right.. I have average 32.8 over last 6k miles. When I bought the car in Nottingham then drove up to Scotland i averaged 38 odd but that was sitting at 71/72 and with cruise on.

So at 71-72, you get about 38mpg, compared to my 32?

So if, under the same conditions, your car's mpg was 20% less than everyone elses, you wouldn't be concerned that something might be wrong? If that poor mpg was translated into 20% less power on the rollers, would you be bothered then? I would!

I am showing and average of 34 since I have owned it. On a decent motorway run I expect 38 at very best (doing 70-80). The 50mph limit on the m60 near me is doing my mpg's the world of good however and sometimes see 40!

The best I have had is 42mpg when I first collected the car and did 150 miles and stuck at 65-70.

The cold weather does make a difference. I have noticed a drop from around 350miles to a tank to 330.

Another getting 38+mpg at 70mph. I'm getting about 275 miles to a tank, both suggest mine is 20% down on what it should be.

NickyF, I look forward to seeing what you get from my test :)

Steeve and NickyF have hit the nail on the head. I don't care what my mpg is, as long as the car is running as it should. I seem to be 20% down on what I should be getting, which is telling me something is not right.

Those quoting average 2 are not helping. There are too many factors that affect it, such as the amount of lead in your right boot and where you are driving the car. I've had avg2 as low as 21mpg if driving normally, 27 if I drive like a granny. I cannot achieve over 30 under everyday driving conditions, no matter how gently I drive the car, so those saying 32 is ok are kind of proving my point.

The 32 average I get is over a few miles at a constant 70mph. Clear, flat roads with no traffic. The only exception was after about 40 miles, I very gently span the car around to head back the way I came, so even a headwind can be ruled out!

So at 71-72, you get about 38mpg, compared to my 32?

So if, under the same conditions, your car's mpg was 20% less than everyone elses, you wouldn't be concerned that something might be wrong? If that poor mpg was translated into 20% less power on the rollers, would you be bothered then? I would!

Another getting 38+mpg at 70mph. I'm getting about 275 miles to a tank, both suggest mine is 20% down on what it should be.

NickyF, I look forward to seeing what you get from my test :)

Ben, all I can say is if by your assumptions you reckon your car is in some way knackered due to the mpg your getting then mine is also knackered, so is Jassy's and quite a few others I've seen quoted on this forum with very similar fuel consumption!

I have no "facts and data" for you, I just know from my experience that the DIS is not spot on, and always seems to read high. If I use the brim to brim method I get about 2mpg less than the DIS stated, and from other comments I've seen on this forum this seems to be typical. Maybe I shouldn't have branded the poor DIS a liar, let's go with optimistic. As for your "weight of facts and data", where are your facts and data? I think high 30s mpg is typical for an S3 driven smoothly at 70 mph on a motorway (the OP's scenario). I agree that low 30's is typical in combined driving (my lying DIS ;) tells me I have got 31.5mpg over 20k miles). This data is from a sample size of one, mine.

Agreed +/-2mpg DIS v brimful method is pretty good and typical and missed the OP comment on "steady 70"..in those type of conditions I drove a lot of miles (ca 1500) on French roads at 110km/hour in the summer and averaged around 36 mpg

I drove 3 miles on the M1 at a steady 70 and got 38mpg. The test is too short though, as I stated of getting about 44 after a mile, then there was a hill and I was down to 32, then it flattened out and it went back to 38 average.

When I've been in a strange mood I've driven long journeys on motorways at 70 in efficiency mode and I get between 38 and 40 on the DIS. I've done this on journeys over 100 miles five or six times with the same result.

If I drove at 90 (on private road of course) I get 34ish.

I drove 3 miles on the M1 at a steady 70 and got 38mpg. The test is too short though, as I stated of getting about 44 after a mile, then there was a hill and I was down to 32, then it flattened out and it went back to 38 average.

When I've been in a strange mood I've driven long journeys on motorways at 70 in efficiency mode and I get between 38 and 40 on the DIS. I've done this on journeys over 100 miles five or six times with the same result.

If I drove at 90 (on private road of course) I get 34ish.

Thanks for that. It seems 38+ is what I should be expecting, so I'm going to continue with the train of thought that i may have an issue. You get better mpg at 90 than I do at 70!

Av tried so hard to get even 34 is mpg but no....it's pointless even when l was short on dosh starting a new job...it's still a very inefficient engine for 2 litre turbo

Complaining that a 300bhp, turbo charged, 4WD car doesn't do 40mpg is like me complaining that my old BMW S1000r wanted to wheely to much.

My S3 arrives on Saturday, I swapped the TDi184 for more power and I'm not expecting fantastic fuel economy.

Reactions: ABYSS
Complaining that a 300bhp, turbo charged, 4WD car doesn't do 40mpg is like me complaining that my old BMW S1000r wanted to wheely to much.

My S3 arrives on Saturday, I swapped the TDi184 for more power and I'm not expecting fantastic fuel economy.

I'm not complaining it won't do 40, I'm concerned that it won't do 30. I'm not expecting fantastic fuel economy, I'm expecting the right fuel economy.

Reactions: NickyF and veeeight
I will be honest though, I'm expecting high 20s at best. I have a few friends who had had VXR's, Subaru's and fast Volvo's non of them ever archived economy greater than the high 20s. In fact getting 32mpg which most people on the forum suggest they can get seems to suggest

Unless you have a hole in your fuel tank I can't see how your car would be different to anyone else's, I can't imagine that your car is running the AFR 50% more rich than normal without it belching out smoke or being down on power.

In reality how much money is 5mpg going to cost you on a weekly basis, not very much I suspect but if your concerned about saving £20 a month I would suggest getting a TDI.

Out of interest what fuel are you using, premium, regular?

Last edited:
My average is 21.2mpg over 1200 miles. Yesterday on my 3 mile journey I got a measly 14.5mpg. I'm not too fussed really as its all town driving. Also what's with all these new profile pics?!

I sometimes get mid teens mpg in town as well, and overall there's no doubt that a) the s3 overall gets good mpg and b) you'd get better mpg from a diesel. But the point of the thread is that at a steady 70 the OP is getting a lot less than some others, including me. I wonder why that is? If the car was older I'd suspect something like a lambda sensor, but I doubt there is a problem with the engine. I assume you're running 98 Ron fuel, so what else can it be? Hatch vs sportback vs saloon? Manual vs Stronic? Drive select mode? Can't think of much else. Mine's a manual sportback and my 70 cruises are in effeciency.

Av tried so hard to get even 34 is mpg but no....it's pointless even when l was short on dosh starting a new job...it's still a very inefficient engine for 2 litre turbo
That's because you drive everywhere flat oot so nobody sees you wearing your pink shirt...!! :)

23.5mpg on my 8 mile journey to work this morning, 3.5 miles on the motorway @ 50-55mph and the rest urban @ 40-45mph. The most i have got is 27.5mpg. I'd be extremely surprised to see anything over 30mpg!

I would make sure your mpg setting is in the UK units. When my mpg was terrible it's because it was set to US units for some reason.

Yup, 13 mile trip to work today 2 miles urban, 4 miles 50mph, 4 miles 80mph (sorry officer), 3 miles urban and 26.5 mpg. I'm sorry to say I don't think there's anything wrong with yours as I've never been able to get what everyone else does with mine either. 275 miles is about what I get from my tank as well. Luckily I don't do many miles so it's doesn't bother me that much, if it did I wouldn't have bought the S3.