Another mpg thread! (S3 owners please read!)

My S4, which is a 3 litre V6 supercharger, averages more mpg than most of you S3 owners do

& I don't keep an eye on the mpg at all. Didn't buy an S4 to worry about mpg TBH

Reactions: Wondering Soul
^^ Mine works the opposite!! I rarely see anything above 18.5mpg on very short journeys (probably less than 5 miles)!

Take a look at the new Impreza WRX STI which i was considering when i looked at the S3. It is very similar power and very similar 0-60 (arguably more fun) - yet compare the MPG and tax bracket and quite frankly the german engineers have pulled off quite a miracle.

The Subaru will struggle to hit 27mpg and is £495 per year to tax - S3 at high 30's mpg and £180 - couple with the interior quality and the fact you need the rag the nuts off the Subaru to get into the torque band...quite a bargain!

Equally thats why my mind has rulled my heart - mpg does matter to me regardless off the type of car so watching this threat closely!

Reactions: SmileyS3 and Wondering Soul
Take a look at the new Impreza WRX STI which i was considering when i looked at the S3. It is very similar power and very similar 0-60 (arguably more fun) - yet compare the MPG and tax bracket and quite frankly the german engineers have pulled off quite a miracle.

The Subaru will struggle to hit 27mpg and is £495 per year to tax - S3 at high 30's mpg and £180 - couple with the interior quality and the fact you need the rag the nuts off the Subaru to get into the torque band...quite a bargain!

Equally thats why my mind has rulled my heart - mpg does matter to me regardless off the type of car so watching this threat closely!
Heard about that engine a few weeks back from a friend in the US. He's lucky to see anything above 24 on average length journeys with motorways in the mix! Can't access most of your torque either unless you drive around @ 5000+ rpm ! xD

Heard about that engine a few weeks back from a friend in the US. He's lucky to see anything above 24 on average length journeys with motorways in the mix! Can't access most of your torque either unless you drive around @ 5000+ rpm ! xD

Indeed - i used to have a standard WRX impreza a few years back which wasn't even STI spec. It was a 2.5 4 pot turbo and about 240bhp. I could get it over 30mpg but literally driving like an undertaker. Driving it like it should be driven it was under 20 - i even saw an average of 4.4 over a 10 mile journey once...whoops!

4.4 now that is saying something! I've got my S3 down to 9.8 after about 8 miles of 'proper' driving..never seen a fuel dial deplete so quickly..

Its good fun! Foolishly touched the tail pipe when i got home and burnt my hand...

Just a quick update.

Audi claim there is nothing wrong with the car (as we all expected they would) and Audi UK's only suggestion is taking it to another dealer for a second opinion. Seen as the nearest other dealer is over 50 miles away, a round trip that is nearly half a tank for me, I decided to take it straight to the tuners 3 minutes up the road. When I told him my mpg, he agreed it doesn't sound right. It's going in Saturday morning for a quick once over, and I will at least get chance to discuss it with a technician.

On a slightly better note, Audi have found the source of a knocking sound I was complaining about in another thread. It seems I have a faulty shock absorber. It's taken 3 times of asking for them to find it. What really annoys me though is there are no spares in the country, so once again I have to wait weeks for a spare part from Germany!

Reactions: Simon L
1 week on and im getting 22mpg average. That's a hell of a lot of round town driving and very minimal a roads. If I drive between sites at work I can get it down to 8mpg - shouldn't be pleased with that but it makes me smile! I must point out its half a mile between sites and can give it a boot full the whole way

Reactions: Simon L
1 week on and im getting 22mpg average. That's a hell of a lot of round town driving and very minimal a roads. If I drive between sites at work I can get it down to 8mpg - shouldn't be pleased with that but it makes me smile! I must point out its half a mile between sites and can give it a boot full the whole way

Yep, 22 sounds all too familiar.......................strangely I've noticed mine is actually dropping about 0.1 every so often!! lol

Reactions: WarwickL and Chrislake90
My car has only 160 miles on it so far, but just went from Heathrow into central London and back in the start of the evening rush and got 27.9

WELL PLEASED WITH THAT

Had mine for 5 days and also averaging 22mpg. Only doing short trips to work everyday so expected that amount to be fair.

Reactions: Chrislake90
All about smiles per gallon in a car like this

It seems that the tuners local to me don't have a clue, one told me that the car is more efficient when the turbo is spooled up because it's pumping more air into the engine lol Seemed a bit baffled when I told him that more air requires more fuel. Also didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I asked if APR had cracked the late 2015 ECU's (and they're an APR dealer!)

Can anyone recommend a tuner in the North of England, preferably North East that actually know what they're talking about?

Haha I'm still waiting for Revo @TurboBen. Isn't revolution an APR dealer ? Sure APR have cracked it so I'm lead to believe.

Where are you going ? Are they an approved APR dealer ? Sure it was on here somewhere say APR have done it. I've been informed that Revo are just round the corner so I'm holding on for now.

I've no idea if my style of driving is different to most here who state 22mpg, but I'm sitting at 30 most days and have seen 36mpg regularly. Most roads here in Wales are B, 2 dual carriages way between work and home and I see these figures daily. I don't potter about at all, that's being truthful.

My car is new only a few months old so don't know if it gets worse over time or what.

Car is standard, 2016 MY no mods whatsoever and it's staying that way.

G

I've no idea if my style of driving is different to most here who state 22mpg, but I'm sitting at 30 most days and have seen 36mpg regularly. Most roads here in Wales are B, 2 dual carriages way between work and home and I see these figures daily. I don't potter about at all, that's being truthful.

My car is new only a few months old so don't know if it gets worse over time or what.

Car is standard, 2016 MY no mods whatsoever and it's staying that way.

G

I've said this on another MPG thread, there must be 2 types of S3 out there, because there is no way I can get an average of 38, no matter how gently I drive it. Is yours a saloon or hatch and do you have DSG or manual?

Reactions: Jassyo06
I've said this on another MPG thread, there must be 2 types of S3 out there, because there is no way I can get an average of 38, no matter how gently I drive it. Is yours a saloon or hatch and do you have DSG or manual?
Although my averages are quoted around the 30's mark as above, I have seen over 40 on motorway journeys on occasion, just doesn't stay there once I leave the motorway. I drive a hatchback with DSG.

Averages are no good at all,what miles your are getting per tank thats accurate

Last tank from brimmed to red light was 213 miles. It seems to be getting steadily worse. Last 70mph run I did i got under 30mpg. I've switched to V-power now, and that also seems to have made it worse.

27 mpg 9000 miles...wish they would ban such threads on here,it is what it is.....Gash

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
27 mpg 9000 miles...wish they would ban such threads on here,it is what it is.....Gash

27mpg??? yer living the dream ol son...........last time I checked mine was 21.6 !! lol

As said before whether you measure average, tankfull or whatever it's a complete waste of time comparing. No two members will drive the same or take the same journeys. You'd have more chance finding Elvis doing his shopping in yer local Tesco

Reactions: pburv
27mpg??? yer living the dream ol son...........last time I checked mine was 21.6 !! lol

As said before whether you measure average, tankfull or whatever it's a complete waste of time comparing. No two members will drive the same or take the same journeys. You'd have more chance finding Elvis doing his shopping in yer local Tesco
inline_4f1d7be2-d8_2293133a.jpg
You were saying...lol

Reactions: davc and Simon L
Mines a hatch, was going to get a saloon but thought that a 3 door looked better.

I've no idea how mine is doing 27mpg, seems like it's a lot better than the figures I'm reading on this thread. Weird.

Glad though, I can't complain getting those figures and having 300 ponies to play.

My A3 1.4TFSI COD was also really good on fuel, 45mpg consistently around town.

G

Don't care enough for that! When the fuel light goes red I fill it up!

I find averages much more useful for working out how the car likes to behave in different driving circumstances.