Another mpg thread

jonnyfeng

Reaction score
Alright guys.

I picked up my RS3 on Friday and have been having a few drives to get her run in. I'm really driving very sensibly speed limits shall we say. Also getting used to the auto box.
Seems you have to press abit to get up the gears to see the economy increase

Anyway. How much worse are these cars on fuel whilst running in. Like I'm really not driving hard at all and I've done just over a half a tank to 110 miles using standard shell 95 (second tank as it came almost full). I dread to think if I was pushing what mileage it would do.

Is it likely to improve much as it runs in more? I've only done 285 miles so far

Hope you're enjoying the bedding in :)

TBh fella, not meaning to teach you how to suck eggs, but it was never meant to be economical & if you're worried about the fuel costs now, then that cars not for you IMHO.

However, my mates seems to return a fair mpg, which surprised the hell out of me, I will ask him, but seem to recall 28mpg was mentioned, but as soon as you start playing, you might aswell have a tanker following you lol.

Yeah I can appreciate that when booting it it will drink that's fine you pay for the fun. My question was soley in regards to running it in. There's noway that 220 miles to a tank driving like miss marple is correct. I've had evos do better than that which is why I wowondered

I obviously didn't buy the car to be economical but it is a daily commuter so I need to keep my sanity with it haha

Lol, sanity, dude, when you have finished run in, there will be nothing sane in that car, including the car lol.

Give quattro81 a shout & ask how his has settled, he's fairly knowledgable on that side.

Cheers mate il look him up. I presume il get a slight increase along with using super unleaded

It will settle to better, also pottering around mate will be lower anyway, just run the monster in & see how it goes afterwards on some nice long runs.

May I ask what did it cost, was new or used?

Yeah I think the total was about the 43k mark. It's standard with Bose in Daytona grey. Brand new but was in stock. I didn't spec it. The deal I got was very very good but I think I was helped by the fact they messed up on a an s3 that I was supposed to get but they sold to someone else

im hoping in a couple tanks I get an increase. I feel around 300 miles to the tank would be reasonable for commuting. Fingers crossed haha

300 per tank, optimistic, lol, but once you have done the 500-1k miles, that number will become a bit more realistic nearer to 200 :p

Do you have an rs? If I'm being perfectly honest as much as I like fast cars I feel like its much more of a cruiser. I really don't drive it hard. It's great for pace but not an aggressive drive. I'm quite happy to keep it shiny and pose about in it to be fair. Still fancy a map and the miltek cats though

Nah I've had VR6's, GTi's, S3, S4, but atm I'm just using a hybrid 2.0 tdi lol, but that may be changing soon for something with allot more power :) but used to the mpg figures of the S models as my S4 B6 used to go down to 16mpg when I tanked it lol.

Alright guys.

I picked up my RS3 on Friday and have been having a few drives to get her run in. I'm really driving very sensibly speed limits shall we say. Also getting used to the auto box.
Seems you have to press abit to get up the gears to see the economy increase

Anyway. How much worse are these cars on fuel whilst running in. Like I'm really not driving hard at all and I've done just over a half a tank to 110 miles using standard shell 95 (second tank as it came almost full). I dread to think if I was pushing what mileage it would do.

Is it likely to improve much as it runs in more? I've only done 285 miles so far

I can't tell you what MPG I get but with a full tank (note that you can slowly ease another circa 5 litres in after the automatic pump cut out kicks in, which equates to about 10% of the tank volume) I generally get about 300 miles and this has been consistent from 2k miles to present. Initially this was a bit of a shock after having a diesel VW Scirocco that gave me around 500 miles but you get over it! Always using the 98 super unleaded. By the way, driving on winter tyres is feeling brilliant in these cold/wet conditions...

I shudder to think what an extra cylinder does for fuel consumption over and above the S3's engine (which is already a guzzler), but your best bet would be to just pretend hose DIS menus dealing with mileage don't exist like I have :whistle2:

It definatly gets better, I have 5k on mine now and usually get around 300 miles per tank, thats a mix of commuting on all types of road and I do not drive around like I am driving mis Daisy ;-)

Ha ha ha, the dreaded mpg......... Managed to get 31.6 on long run from Glasgow to Manchester yesterday. What you lose in fuel economy you gain in power, noise, excitement, satisfaction etc......... Expect to be hanging around petrol forecourts a little more often and make sure you get a nectar card to pick these precious points

A common sight ............ Enjoy you're new car
4b942711835c50c1e3485b0ef18a339d.jpg

Cheers Pal,

Oh and I didn't take it threw the car wash in the background, could you imagine; no chance I'd rather have a dirty car

****** gritters, roads are a ****** disgrace round our way

Same journey 200ml round trip I got 2mpg less in the RS than the S3.

Mpg and performance does improve after 100hrs/3000mls.

Short comute i dont see 200mls to a tank. Long drive and I've seen 38mpg even 41mpg just under 70mph!

Attachments

• IMAG0985.jpg
    IMAG0985.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 244
Now that's impressive...... We're turning into a Volvo forum here boys....
Great figures CarrG, love the picture:thumbsup: the camera never lies......

Reactions: CarrG
Alright guys.

It should improve as the weather gets warmer and your engine gets run it.

I've found the mpg suffers very badly in short cold commutes, which I do most days !.

What sort of driving to you do (eg commuting, motorway blast, A road cruises) ?? .... as it really does affect the mpg you're gonna get.

I keep a full real world record of my mpg (fillling brim to brim) and the best I've had from a tankful is 26mpg.

The worst is 20mpg

My average is 24 and rising (now done 4,000 miles)

I can only get 30mpg on a long motorway run at around 60mph and that only happens through the M62 roadworks :racer:

My Golf R did around 26-27mpg average so I always expected less than that.

Alright guys.

BLUEY x

My RS3 @ 3750 miles has averaged 25.6mpg from NEW.

I have seen - once only mind - 35.2 on a very steady 'legal' 100-mile motorway run to a pub, but it was back to the 25's on the way back.

Bluey LIKES: A-roads, B-roads, and accelerating out of traffic islands

Bluey DISLIKES: motorways, period.

Oh, and she brakes quietly too.

Attachments

• 119x.jpg
    119x.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Reactions: robbiemac and Zak0123
Hi robbie no car wash for the rs3 ,get some gtechniq c2v2 on there or wolfs hardbody :)

Hi robbie no car wash for the rs3 ,get some gtechniq c2v2 on there or wolfs hardbody :)

Not happy mate, look at the state of her...... Dirty *****, still love her though

8148367c2d840583afd8760241ba2580.jpg

53b37aacb9082286ef2605f6ee96eec4.jpg

0117bf5078b5e55c6171ba3a375bceec.jpg

Reactions: Kelza
sorry guys ive not been getting email update to the thread for some reason..

really appreciate all comments

ive seen an average of 25 to and from work today and yesterday... i only got about 215 miles from my last tank of 95 so gone for a tank of super to compare now only about 4 quid difference to fill.

i do about 10 miles each way to work and back mostly 40-50mph.. i got to around 24-25 about a third of the way in.

tbh im not bothered by 25mpg seen as its freezing and still only 3-400 miles on her

gave her a clean with some goodies from juicy jen aswell but filthy again after having the windows tinted and the snow coming so il get some pics on asap

definitely gonna need a black optics grill aswell even though i like the silver more than i thought i would now ive had my tints done it needs it

It should get better on 99 RON and longer journies. Have just ticked over 270 miles on the odometer on this tank and still have a quarter left so should be good for 340 and 30+ mpg having just ticked over 3k miles of ownership. Pretty decent when on winter tyres with higher rolling resistance

Engines prob not upto temp after 10mins @ 50-60mph.
Will see better mpg on a run.
Enjoy.

Where can u get the black optics grill from
HI Dan, I did try to find a black optics grill a few months ago but coudn`t find any, eventually someone at Awesome gti said he would try to get one for me and after hitting brick walls everywere came up with the goods, the price though was a massive shock, I cant remember exactly but it was about £750, over £1000 if I wanted the rear diffuser trim as well.:wtf:

HI Dan, I did try to find a black optics grill a few months ago but coudn`t find any, eventually someone at Awesome gti said he would try to get one for me and after hitting brick walls everywere came up with the goods, the price though was a massive shock, I cant remember exactly but it was about £750, over £1000 if I wanted the rear diffuser trim as well.:wtf:

cheers mate,seen a few on ebay..not cheap though,around £500ish