Another Remap Thread: Calling all Remapped TDi DSG Owners! Whats your Torque?

kaz219

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Looking to get my car remapped but wanted the most amount of torque & BHP without blowing the DSG to bits.

Cars a 2004 A3 2.0 TDI DSG (BKD Engine).

I jsut wanted to know with the remap, what level of bhp/torque dsg owners are running and how their cars have been...

And the million dollar question...who's does the best value for money remap (The remap itself/customer service/after sales support..all factors considered!)

I'm in Manchester BTW.

Cheers guys

no idea what my torque is as I haven't had it on the rollers but I think most tuners limit it too 350Nm. Mines on Superchips bluefin and so far I haven't had any issues. If I went for something different I would probably try custom code or GIAC next.

I;m going to look in to it in more detail but Awesoems service had been top notch as our LCR was running stage 2 at 285ish bhp and when it went pop, they happily looked at it and told us what the prob was and just charged for the part that broke and and the labour to fit it. They didnt charge for the 6 hours of looking they did :D

What would be the diff between the one yo've got and the GIac? Does the way the power is delievered differ from map to map?

Cheers

I wanted guarantee, good customer service and the ability to take the map on/off when I need to. Superchips gave all that so I am happy.

Now the delivery is much smoother and really utilises each gear, the differences are best noticed from overtaking and speeding up while moving. If you really foot it though the mpg can drop quite shockingly, the lowest I managed was somewhere around 19-21 mpg :)().

Not sure on my exact bhp or torque but I imagine it is at least 170bhp and I'd imagine a maximum of 350NM.

Kaz, I've been in a similar position for a long while. I'm either gonna go with Revo or APR. I always worried about the torque limiters on the DSG box, but after going out in Awesome's MK5 Golf GTI DSG which is running 370bhp/340ft-lb on standard clutches (has been for 20k) then its fine by me. They appear stronger than suggest. Interesting to know what clutches the RS6 is using, MTM's version is 704bhp

360lb/ft and about 240 hp

the dsg gearbox is officially rated very conservatively

some well renowned petrol dsg turbo kits limit the torque to roughly 405-410 lb/ft for long term reliability and the same tuners built a couple of golf 3.2 turbo dsg cars that ran about 500hp for a huge mileage without any trouble at all.

360lb/ft and about 240 hp

the dsg gearbox is officially rated very conservatively

some well renowned petrol dsg turbo kits limit the torque to roughly 405-410 lb/ft for long term reliability and the same tuners built a couple of golf 3.2 turbo dsg cars that ran about 500hp for a huge mileage without any trouble at all.

Thats Awesome!!

I think around 300ish lb should be fine for me but I'm looking into this deeply now as my cars all set up for the remap (minus 2 front tyres) :D

Dunk..What did you have done to get your car to 240Bhp if you dont mind me asking. Thats on my list :D

N8KOW - The guys from Awesome are top notch. Need to pop down and see them to ger soem proper advise!

But Revo and Superchips seem to be the common ones.. I think all the ones i have read have top reviews. But there's also the custome codee :S

Hmmm...this is going to be a very hard decision :think:

would the clutches in the DSG cope ? I know my manual Golf TDi only had 405Nm and that began to slip after 25k, I had to take the map off in the end.

dsg clutches are a lot stronger than the manual ones

my car has a turbodynamics big turbo, decat, custom turbo back exhaust, custom remap.

Been looking into this a lot and seems most companys have similar figures

Superchips: 177bhp/397nm
Revo: 185bhp/290ft lb
Custom Code Phase 1: 180bhp/285ft lb

But, custom code do a stage 2 which has 180-190bhp with 290-310ft lbs of torque..

If i could get the top end figure, would this be the best remap and has anyoen used custom code remaps before?

Cheers

My A3 is over 3 years old and has been running 190bhp & 300lb ft through the DSG box without any problems from 4k on the clock, it now has 48k. On extended service interval too.

Hi mate

On your sig, it says you had the stage 1 & 2.

Did you notice a significant diff between the 2.

cheers :D

Hi Kaz,

It depends what kinda map you want, progressive or aggressive? Superchips seems to be progressive where as Revo is aggressive - I think?

N8

Hi Kaz,

It depends what kinda map you want, progressive or aggressive? Superchips seems to be progressive where as Revo is aggressive - I think?

N8

Forgot about the progressive/aggresive bits....someone mentioned them to me a while back.

Could someone tell me what the differences are please?

Cheers

simple terms all in one go shove you back in the seat and not very smooth would be aggressive,

smoother and a graduall build up with less stress on the mechanical bits would be progressive. I'm happy with superchips and if your anywhere near peterborough your welcome to have a demo, even with proggressive wheelspin/grip is lacking at the moment being aggressive last night made the wheels spin in 3rd

Thanks matey... Im probably going to go progressive. I think there will be too much wheelspin, tyre wear and strain if the map is aggresive :D

I'm in Manchester so miles away :( but thanks for the offer...

Right...Got to decide now but superchips have a discount on the bluefin :p

Im in the same boat here aswell, think i will go with bluefin as my tdi spins wheels at low speed easy as it is

I think you still get the 7 day trial with superchips too.

More of a return policy thouth, I'd love if they did a trial like REVO but you'll have (im sure lie) tell them you don't enjoy it, don't think I could to those guys :no:

its a 7 day trial, you load it run it and providing you remove it before you return it you get your money back. I don't think many people return them which is why they offer the service.

Foook Sake....

Had my mind made up on the Bluefin and jsut came accross the ST3 from chipped uk !!

"The ST3 (Intelligent Self Tuning System) is a revolutionary device, with this system you have the ability to not only programme your own car but also swap between 3 different maps, these can range from original, economy, power and race, for the first time giving the end user total control over the software within their cars ECU.
You simply install the software that comes with the ST3 and select your vehicle, you then read the ECU data and email this direct to us and within 1 hour (during normal opening hours) you will have your modified files returned and ready for you to load too the ST3 and then onto your car.
There are many reasons why you should chose the ST3, the price is around the same cost many other tuning companies charge for just a single remap, the flexibility to be able to chose the software on your car and alter between maps at the touch of a button, the knowledge that the ST3 is covered by our warranty and insurance and the fact that for the first time, you, the customer total control!"

People on the golf forum are recommeneding it over the bluefin and you get to chose between 3 maps (original, economy, power and race) ?
And when you buy, you email them your ecu settings and they send the correct ones back.
And...its for £300 (offer) :p
Anyone running a ST3 on their A3 ?

it will probably come down to personall preference, you could go the ST3 route just to be different, with bluefin you email them your original map and they send one back that suits your ecu. With the choice of 3 settings how often are you going to alter them ? your likely to stick it on the peformance setting and leave it, i've had bluefin for 8 months and never took it off, it was on my golf 2 years and I never removed it and also on my focus for 2 years and again i never removed it.

thats true but:

For track days (if i ever go to one) Race would be handy!

For normal driving - Power.

And have normal or economy as the 3rd map :p

It's £300 too. £90 cheaper than the bluefin. Theres a guy with a golf GT TDI DSG 140 and he's had both the bluefin and St3 and he said the St3s better: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/233279.aspx

It is down to personaly preference and yes, I do like to be different :p

:S

EDITED: was a bit ****** when writing it 1st time round:drag:

There's all these guys in Oz too

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=16327&page=8

I'm going with an ST3 :p (unless something else flings up)

The economy map is basically standard so going to go fast map and power (you can only chose 2 maps) but store 3 on the unit (one of which will be standard) :p

Just need to clear up a few things so hopefully by next weekend :p

RS6 isnt DSG from what im aware. However Bugatti is, so there shouldnt be a problem if the right gearbox is used. ;)

I'm sure the RS6 is the tiptronic box not DSG, I didn't think the DSG could cope with the power and the torque ?

I'm sure the RS6 is the tiptronic box not DSG, I didn't think the DSG could cope with the power and the torque ?
Im with Steve on this!!! The RS6 is Tiptronic and not DSG. Look at the spec on your thread. I remem Top Gear or 5th Gear saying how good the gearbox was and you could have mistaken it for DSG.
BTW peeps, got my DSG TDI 140 mapped by bluefin today (xmas present). WOW! :yahoo:
It has transformed my car. Didnt get much of a run as I wanted to start on the champers asap. Get it done!!!
Do Bluefin do a stage 2 like revo?

Your lucky - i got the ST3 but its stuck in the xmas post. I hope i get it before new years :(

Also, it was £300 with 2 maps :D :D :D

I dont think they do a stage 2 but if you have a few mods, next step would be a custom map.

With the RS6, whats the diff between a DSG and Tiptronic :S

Your lucky - i got the ST3 but its stuck in the xmas post. I hope i get it before new years :(

I dont think they do a stage 2 but if you have a few mods, next step would be a custom map.

DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) / S-Tronic?? is where the gears are selected almost instantly by two clutches. It switches power from 1-3-5-P to 2-4-6 alternately. Thus meaning almost instant gear changes. Tiptronic is normal auto gearbox that you can change gear with on the steering wheel and gearstick. The RS6 has a good version but not DSG. Bugatti is only high powered car with it i think. That development cost them an arm and a leg.

How are you getting on with the ST3 mate? Im interested in what figures it will produce on the race or power setting, do you have a couple of buttons mounted on the dash somewhere to change between the maps?

It's still stuck in the ****** post!! lol

Should have it after new years!!

To switch maps, you have the ST3 unit which means you cna change the car to standard/fastroad/race or there's an economy map which gives more mpg.

The st3 can hold 3 maps! and if i buy a new car, i pay £100 to have the map emailed to me and then put that onto a new car but then i cant use it on my old car! Its only 1 car per st3 unit!

On race, theres more low end tourqe! TBH, i'll be keeping that one for the tracks days (if i ever go on one) but it will be on fast road 24/7 !

economys best fuel with comprimise of power
fast road - max power poss with good fuel consumption
race - just fast with little consideration for mpg! :D

I'll put a post up when i eventually get it!