Anti-theft system retrofit

George Kost

Reaction score
Hello to all!
I have a 2010 A3 sportback, 09/2009 built.
With the 3 plug BCM unit.

I am considering installing the original anti-theft system. (yes there is not standard from the factory)
I am just doing an initial research right now.
If someone has done it, I would appreciate any info.

From my search, I found that is needed:
  • siren (under the hood)
  • control unit for anti-towing device and anti-theft device (behind glove box)
  • movement detector (in the lights cluster)
  • warning lamp
  • micro switch (in hood lock)
  • button for deactivation of anti-theft system and tow-away protection (on door)
  • all cabling needed for the above
Is it all that is needed? There is no anti-theft control module to control all the above?
Is it better to retrofit the oem solution or install an after matket alarm?

Best regards,
George

Thank you!
Mine is a 2010 model and has the newer BCM module but for sure this guide is a great start for me to see all the basic parts and steps.
Best regards!

Just an idea, are you not better off investing in something like autowatch ghost rather than go to the expense and trouble to install an outdated alarm systems? Most people ignore the alarm sound anyway, and the scumbags know how to mute the alarm within seconds..

Reactions: George Kost and Daveyonthemove
Just an idea, are you not better off investing in something like autowatch ghost rather than go to the expense and trouble to install an outdated alarm systems? Most people ignore the alarm sound anyway, and the scumbags know how to mute the alarm within seconds..
^^ This.

Thank you nluk100!
This is what I am also thinking. If it worths to install an old product or a newer one.
Although the original alarm system, is still an original system!
From my initial research I can source all needed parts for about 140€ through eBay and the Audi dealership and make the looms myself. Much cheaper than the autowatch ghost..

From my initial research I can source all needed parts for about 140€ through eBay and the Audi dealership and make the looms myself. Much cheaper than the autowatch ghost..
Thieves are after bigger fish than a ten year old car tbh unless you have a private plate and its mint (mine was :()
AWG is the way to go if you are that concerned or a decent steering lock.

Reactions: George Kost
Grazie nluk100!
Questo è quello che sto pensando anche io. Se vale la pena installare un vecchio prodotto o uno nuovo.
Anche se il sistema di allarme originale, è ancora un sistema originale!
Dalla mia ricerca iniziale posso reperire tutte le parti necessarie per circa 140 € tramite eBay e la concessionaria Audi e realizzare i telai da solo. Molto più economico del fantasma dell'orologio automatico ..
Ciao, alla fine hai completato il retrofit? io ho appena comprato quasi tutti i pezzi, ho provato a leggere il link di Henkkeumus ma senza successo.

Hi! No unfortunately I didn’t start this retrofit!
i see now that the link is not working any more. Too bad! I will search my laptop in case I have made a copy of that link.

Reactions: Mr_Dude
Grazie per la risposta. Ho un amico che ha completato il retrofit (mi ha anche dato tutte le parti) ma non ricorda qualcosa per completare questo lavoro

Reactions: George Kost
  • siren - ELSA CODE H12 - code 1K0 951 605 C - connector: 3D0 973 703 (3 PINS)
  • control unit for anti-towing device and anti-theft device - ELSA CODE G384 - J589 - code 1K0 907 719C - connector: 3D0 973 703 (4 PINS, 3 wires)
  • support for control unit (behinde glove box) - code 8P1 907 348
  • movement detector (in the lights cluster) - ELSA CODE G273 - 8P0 951 177 - connector: 8E0 973 754 (4 PINS, 3 wires)
  • warning lamp - ALREADY IN THE CAR (my one is 2009, facelift)
  • micro switch (in hood lock) ALREADY IN THE CAR
  • button for deactivation of anti-theft system and tow-away protection (on door) - ELSA CODE E183 - 4F0 962 109 (I forgot to write the connectr's code)
  • all cabling needed for the above - I AM ASSEMBLING ALL THE CHASSIS
  • NEED TO REPLACE CONVENIENCE SYSTEM CENTRAL CONTROL UNIT - ELSA CODE J393 (the 46 unit) - replaced with 8P0 959 433 J or 8P0 959 433 K
After change of the J393 unit, you have to recode car's keys for open/close doors (not for immobilizer); you can do it with VCDS. I have got all informations, except one: the sensor for rear glass breaking; I am not sure, but I need one wire from the J393 unit to the rear door glass, and from the glass to the chassis. Anybody can help me?
I am assembling all the chassis at home, and during week-ends I put the parts into my car. Excuse me for bad english, I'm not usign automatic translator.