Any Audi A4 (B6) owners on here?

Agar

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a new daily driver for work and have been considering an A4 (B6) with any of the 1.9TDI engines (and either saloon or avant models). Hopefully someone on here will be able to help me answer a number of queries I have about them:

1) I see the 1.9TDI engines come in 100, 115 and 130bhp variants. The 100bhp model is a bit cheaper to tax which is an obvious attraction, but is this particular engine a bit too weak for the size/weight of the car?

2) What are the serving intervals and major service mileages for them (ie when is the cambelt supposed to be replaced)?. I'm sure i've read before that the Golf tdi's must be run on a particular type of oil - is this the case with the 1.9TDI's in the A4s? Should I be looking for one with a FASH or will an independant service history be ok?

3) What are the servicing costs like? (both main dealer and independant)

4) Do high miles pose any significant problems with these cars? I'd like to buy one with as little miles as possible, but my low budget looks to be pointing towards ones with upwards of 120K on them.

5) What sort of real world MPG are people getting with them - the book figures are around 50MPG (combined), but are these accurate?

6) Are there any common problems I should be looking out for when viewing them?

7) Do the rear seats on the saloon models fold forward to allow access to the boot?

Thanks,

Agar

Hi
TDi definately go for a 130
TDi engines upto 03 60k t-belt and onwards 80k but i would stick with 60k no matter what age to be safe
service costs i cant answer you on as i do them myself and work in the trade so unfair comparison
mileage isnt an issue i work on a few with over 150k and one has just turned 225k and still strong but take the car as presented if it looks a dog it probably is
i get 45mpg average with a map local running
make sure the clutch feels nice and its generally a nice sounding and driving car as with any car purchase
i have an avant so i dont know about the rear seats but my B5 S4 saloon used to drop the rear seats
hope this helps
Paul

Last edited:
iv got a 1.9tdi sport i think its 115bph and it pulls fine it has the same torque is the same i believe in the 100 115 and 130 bph so it dont hang about.
and like you say good to tax too around town mine is doing 41mpg thats a min on a run its way up in the 50s if im good it will hit 61mpg well so my sat nav said. id try and get a sport/s.line if you can too mine is on 140k now and drives like all audis should very good.

i've had my 130 about 2 months now and apart from a couple of niggles sorted under warranty, i can safely say its one of the best cars I've had. its no where near as smooth as the accord icdti it had replaced, but its also no where ner as highly strung, just as quick and miles better mpg. above all else though it has the four rings on it. yes I am a badge snob.:rock: I do quite a bit of motorway and its not uncommon for me to hit 60mpg on a run, but even hooning around on b roads the comp says i'm getting 45 ish.

Folding rear seats are far from standard in saloons iirc.

haha, is there even a standard in Audi's? The amount of threads i've seen asking what is standard spec is unbelievable...heated mirrors, folding seats, stereo. It seems that no 2 audi's are the same.

And you'll love the car mate. I'm also getting 40mpg ish, but then i currently do very little motorway miles (infact I do very little miles at all in it). My mileage is approaching 140k also, and all feels solid. Fingers crossed for many more miles in my little beast.

1) I see the 1.9TDI engines come in 100, 115 and 130bhp variants. The 100bhp model is a bit cheaper to tax which is an obvious attraction, but is this particular engine a bit too weak for the size/weight of the car?

i have the 100bhp model and it pulls no problems ive just done a 500 mile trip to wales and back and it returned 55mpg at speeds between 80-90 mines high mileage too like 250k still going strong had a few probs but what audi doesnt!!!

Cheers guys for the helpful replies.

With regards to the PD oil, is there a specific type/manufacturer of oil which is prefered? I.e. is there a code/manufacturer I should look for on the service history printout?

the oil that is from audi or tps is quantum and im told that is made by castrol its £26 for long life if thats what the car is set up on or £16 ish for the normal