Any electricians on here? Need some advice

ABS2788

Registered User
So I bought some outdoor garden lights. They are plugged into an 10m extension lead which is on a timer that’s runs in the garage socket.
They worked fine for about a month but then the fuse tripped on the plug socket for the lights (3 amp).
I got a replacement set of lights thinking a bad batch of lights so wired them up yesterday but then tonight, again tripped the fuse. Any advice as to what could be the issue or what I can do to prevent this I.e is the fuse to low etc? Thank you
 

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
As above, check the load as 3amp is possibly too low at times, it maybe in the edge of 3.
 

abmat

Well-Known Member
VCDS Map User
I’d go with a 5A fuse.

Also running lights from a socket on a 10m extension lead outside may not be ideal depending on the length of the lighting circuit/number of lights.

I presume the extension lead is fully extended?
 

Harvey

VAG Convert
Also worth checking the socket wire connections are tight where you are plugging in your extension.
 

ABS2788

Registered User
Thanks for replies guys.

the lights are 25 bulbs (string lights) and each is 0.6w and length of 29.5ft and IP44

my socket in my garage is at the beginning and the lights are outside behind the garage so I had to run the extension lead all the way to the bottom. The beginning of the wire of the lights are then fed through into the garage and plugged into the extension lead
 
Last edited:

DW81

Registered User
0.6w x 25 lights gives you 15 watts total. I would say your 3amp fuse is more than capable.
Your 10m extension lead is it a new one or an old one you had lying around. Sometimes the inside insulation on the cores and break down and become abit more noticeable with a bit if heat through them causing a short.
May also be your timer, again may have an issue where it has broken down inside and with a slight load going through it and some heat.
If you have changed the lights already I would more than likely rule that out.
Failling this you may need to get a electrician out who can test and see what's going on with your garage circuit.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
 

abmat

Well-Known Member
VCDS Map User
Missed the part about the timer. Mechanical or digital? I’d take that out and just operate them off the socket switch.
 

ABS2788

Registered User
It’s a brand new extension lead I bought and branded as well.
The timed is one of them you flick the little pins down from Tesco’s.
I wanted them to come on at night for a few hours and switch off automatically hence the timer
I changed the double socket yesterday as one of the switches was a little temperamental to try rule that out and put a 5amp fuse as well. It tripped the circuit breaker in the garage within a minute.
So wondering now if it’s the timer maybe as you guys say?
 
Top