Any ideas on what this noise is?

CHRS3

Reaction score
Ok so car recently went stage 3 TTE500 about 2/3 weeks ago and just the last few days driving the car I’ve noticed an unusual overpowering low pitch whiny/grinding noise which feels like it overpowers the cabin almost vibrating it but not quite.

The noise is only active very low rpm maybe 1800-2000 on very little acceleration. If I turn the car in any direction without any acceleration the noise comes back and even if the car is in neutral and I turn it will make the same noise. The noise sometimes stays when after I let off the throttle (or so I think, maybe I’ve been turning under this circumstance without realising)

I will attach a link to a video of the noise it shouldn’t be too hard to make out (you’ll hear it disappear when I let off the throttle in the video) I will get a better video over the next couple days but any advice on what it could be would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
At which timings in the video does it happen as can't really tell tbh.

At which timings in the video does it happen as can't really tell tbh.

It’s on from the start then at about 7 seconds I let off the throttle and you’ll hear the noise go quiet then a second to two later I lightly accelerate again and you’ll hear it come back. It was just a quick video I took a couple nights ago I will head out in the car over the next couple days and try and get a better prolonged video.

In that video it almost sounds like road noise but when I let off throttle you’ll hear it disappear around 7 seconds in.

Ahhh it sounds on the video like a droning noise, is that what you're referring too?

Ahhh it sounds on the video like a droning noise, is that what you're referring too?

Yes but it’s not a drone from exhaust or anything it’s almost like a grinding whining noise like a really worn bearing but only very low rpm very little acceleration if I accelerate harder or over the 1800-2k rpm it disappears. It’s there when turning too even if I put the car in neutral and turn left/right it makes the noise.

Wonder if the rear Diff is on its way out……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would that not make the noise all the time? And would it make the noise when turning?

The prop goes into the Haldex coupling which In turn engages with the rear Diff when Drive needs transmitting.

Could be when it’s under load etc.

Failing that a bearing perhaps elsewhere.

You’d need to isolate where the noise is on the vehicle first.

Would that not make the noise all the time? And would it make the noise when turning?

Are the engine mounts / dog bone mount in good condition ?

Are the engine mounts / dog bone mount in good condition ?

Dog bone mount is about 3 month old, I will check the engine mounts I’ve seen this mentioned when I’ve been Googling. Also seen people suggest it could be the power steering pump on other threads where people have put forward similar symptoms.

I’m going to take the car out tomorrow hopefully and try and find when the noise happens for certain and have a good look round.

Dog bone mount is about 3 month old, I will check the engine mounts I’ve seen this mentioned when I’ve been Googling. Also seen people suggest it could be the power steering pump on other threads where people have put forward similar symptoms.

I’m going to take the car out tomorrow hopefully and try and find when the noise happens for certain and have a good look round.

Power steering is electric motor.

Took the car out yesterday and the noise is absolutely terrible now under certain conditions it sounds literally like a collapsed bearing but it’s not constant, sometimes there’s no noise, sometimes it whines more so at higher speeds and under a little more acceleration and sometimes it grinds hard. Now noticed a metal tapping at certain speed when coasting alongside the whine ill link some videos below any ideas appreciated I need to get the car booked in somewhere just like to have an idea before hand.

Coasting down in neutral grinding noise (loud!)

Metal tapping noise and whining in neutral coasting

Grinding whine when turning steering wheel

I’ve put the car in neutral in some cases as wanted to try and remove the possibility of gearbox and it makes the car quieter to pick up these noises. Also the first video it’s hard to replicate it in gear as car slows down from engine breaking and the noise doesn’t happen.

Time to stop driving it and get it into a proper mechanic.

Reactions: jebusRS
So it is a transfer box then ? Albeit the front one.

So it is a transfer box then ? Albeit the front one.

Looks like it. Had car on ramp, oil has leaked from what looks like prop shaft drive side from the seal however very excessive rotational movement and forward/back linear movement on splined rod which comes from box. Looked at a split diagram but can’t see a bearing behind the dust cover on the front so unsure on what’s failed inside. Seen a photo of someone’s split apart and looked like a thrust bearing infront of the drive pinion but on diagram there’s nothing which indicates it’s a bearing so I’m a bit confused. Unless the teeth are shot on the pinion giving excessive movement I’m unsure but still have drive to prop shaft so no idea.

On the look for a used box but they’re like gold dust at the minute, don’t know if they can be rebuilt never seen anyone ever mention rebuilding one.

On a side note, from whine to internal failure of some sort in 4-500 miles (250 of which was 70mph motorway driving home after tuning) barely any really hard driving seems unusual - considering they removed the prop shaft to install downpipe, think it’s something to do with that or have I just been unlucky?

That's crap. It could well have been on the edge and the extra power has pushed it over or something has not gone back together correctly and causing this noise though I'm not sure what as they are not overly complicated.

Ok so car recently went stage 3 TTE500 about 2/3 weeks ago and just the last few days driving the car I’ve noticed an unusual overpowering low pitch whiny/grinding noise which feels like it overpowers the cabin almost vibrating it but not quite.

The noise is only active very low rpm maybe 1800-2000 on very little acceleration. If I turn the car in any direction without any acceleration the noise comes back and even if the car is in neutral and I turn it will make the same noise. The noise sometimes stays when after I let off the throttle (or so I think, maybe I’ve been turning under this circumstance without realising)

I will attach a link to a video of the noise it shouldn’t be too hard to make out (you’ll hear it disappear when I let off the throttle in the video) I will get a better video over the next couple days but any advice on what it could be would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I’ve been having the same issue on my TTRS 8S. The car is a 2017 with one owner (me) and now has 80.000 km. In my case it’s the bevel box I believe. If I put the car in Dyno mode the rear axle is not working and the noise completely dissapears. Changed it’s oil today (last time I changed it was 6000 km ago) and the oil came out black and thick. So I guess I’ll have to replace it. Calling Audi tomorrow to get a new or used one.

Looks like it. Had car on ramp, oil has leaked from what looks like prop shaft drive side from the seal however very excessive rotational movement and forward/back linear movement on splined rod which comes from box. Looked at a split diagram but can’t see a bearing behind the dust cover on the front so unsure on what’s failed inside. Seen a photo of someone’s split apart and looked like a thrust bearing infront of the drive pinion but on diagram there’s nothing which indicates it’s a bearing so I’m a bit confused. Unless the teeth are shot on the pinion giving excessive movement I’m unsure but still have drive to prop shaft so no idea.

On the look for a used box but they’re like gold dust at the minute, don’t know if they can be rebuilt never seen anyone ever mention rebuilding one.

On a side note, from whine to internal failure of some sort in 4-500 miles (250 of which was 70mph motorway driving home after tuning) barely any really hard driving seems unusual - considering they removed the prop shaft to install downpipe, think it’s something to do with that or have I just been unlucky?
Did you find out what failed?

I have an 18 and its is making the exact same noises as yours. My brakes were done and I though it was those but after replacement the noise is still there.

Well I had the car on the hoist last night and what I have found is that the rear output shaft on the bevel box is moving around all over the place.
I have been able to fid a shop in the UK who has replaced MANY of these units. They have found the bearings needed for the bevel box to solve this issue without needing to replace the whole box. I am waiting to hear if they can supply the parts or if they would be willing to offer up the bearing part numbers so these can be sourced.
According to them, they have yet to seen an RS3 that did not need these bearings. Some worse than others but all in need of replacement of which they offer a better than OE bearing.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Well I had the car on the hoist last night and what I have found is that the rear output shaft on the bevel box is moving around all over the place.
I have been able to fid a shop in the UK who has replaced MANY of these units. They have found the bearings needed for the bevel box to solve this issue without needing to replace the whole box. I am waiting to hear if they can supply the parts or if they would be willing to offer up the bearing part numbers so these can be sourced.
According to them, they have yet to seen an RS3 that did not need these bearings. Some worse than others but all in need of replacement of which they offer a better than OE bearing.
I think poor quality / owner abuse is now starting to come and bite people on the backside.........

Reactions: PilotThumper
I think poor quality / owner abuse is now starting to come and bite people on the backside.........
This may be the case however the Bevel Box in the RS3 is a non-serviceable item and considered a lifetime component. I believe that this item and no item for that matter, should ever be listed as such and the bevel box should be serviced at the same time as the other diffs and controllers on the vehicle.

My car for instance, I have owned since new and I have never abused it in any way. A handful of high speed driving on the highway but nothing like you may see on YT or anything like that. No modifications to anything and always serviced on time (early in fact) yet my bearings have failed. 59,000kms.

I suspect the bearings are not seeing fluid and causing them to fail. I have found a large number of these failed with lots of photos and all are exibiting the same issue.

My advice, if you have a bevel box in your car or any other component in your car that has no service interval you need to service it regardless. Change the fluid and maintain the item despite it not being a maintenance item.

This may be the case however the Bevel Box in the RS3 is a non-serviceable item and considered a lifetime component. I believe that this item and no item for that matter, should ever be listed as such and the bevel box should be serviced at the same time as the other diffs and controllers on the vehicle.

My car for instance, I have owned since new and I have never abused it in any way. A handful of high speed driving on the highway but nothing like you may see on YT or anything like that. No modifications to anything and always serviced on time (early in fact) yet my bearings have failed. 59,000kms.

I suspect the bearings are not seeing fluid and causing them to fail. I have found a large number of these failed with lots of photos and all are exibiting the same issue.

My advice, if you have a bevel box in your car or any other component in your car that has no service interval you need to service it regardless. Change the fluid and maintain the item despite it not being a maintenance item.

I changed the fluid in both the front bevel box and the rear Diff during my 8V ownership.

Doesn’t take long and gives piece of mind.

I changed the fluid in both the front bevel box and the rear Diff during my 8V ownership.

Doesn’t take long and gives piece of mind.

Sadly my lack of knowledge on this platform caused me to not know about how the box would be serviced. If I had known as I do now that I could service it or it would be a separate service from another diff or trans service I will be sure to do that once mine is repaired.

Did you find out what failed?

I have an 18 and its is making the exact same noises as yours. My brakes were done and I though it was those but after replacement the noise is still there.

Hi, sorry I haven’t been on this forum in a long time. The transfer box had failed, I have photos of the bearing inside with the numbers on, off the shelf SKF bearings I believe but the seals need to come from Audi and I think are quite expensive. I haven’t rebuilt mine I actually bought a new one, however that has since gone again because the garage who installed it put fresh oil in and didn’t tighten the drain plug enough! The oil leaked out slowly over time causing the bearing to fail again :)! This company has actually closed now.

8772b7480715d48692dc2dc78b58c06e.jpg

d7aebe064d3827d7d6e935c254974299.jpg

Are you serious, how could they make that mistake jesus, no wonder they're closed, sorry to hear that.

Reactions: CHRS3 and PilotThumper
Are you serious, how could they make that mistake jesus, no wonder they're closed, sorry to hear that.
Mine failed as well. I have loads of pics and will be going after Audi Canada.
The fill level of my box is .9-1L of fluid. When it was opened there was less than .6l of fluid in there (543ml to be exact). Which is only around 1/2 of what it needs to function and explained why the outer bearing had failed so badly. Apparently many of the older RS3's had improperly filled bevel box so I recommend everyone check and service there bevel box.
My car should come out of the show tomorrow or Friday with a $2500 bill for this.

Reactions: CHRS3 and flybynite
Just had my PFL back from Audi after I dropped it in with a front end whine under load, which they diagnosed as the front bevel box being knackered.

Thankfully covered under warranty (might cost £600 a year or there abouts but so far it's been worth it every year!).

Car has a very easy life with me so not like it's been hammered and launched constantly, I've had it 4 years now and never used launch control once :laugh:

Does anyone have any idea of the oil level in these transfer boxes when they fail?

There are people putting a lot of power and torque through these boxes with no issue other than breaking the weak link that are the drive shafts. Abuse does not seem to be the issue as they seem to failing be on looked after cars.

To me it is looking like low oil levels or a batch of chocolate bearings. Trick seems to be spotting the bearing damage before the slop in the shaft chews the bevel gear.