Any ideas people??

GeorgieS3

Reaction score
So this morning when I got to work I sat in my car with it idling for a while to cool down a bit after a "steady" drive. I turned off the AC and moments later I noticed my temp gage going up and up.
I switched the AC back on and it's started to come back to normal.
I switched her off and left it the the whole day.
Just got back from work and checked all the fuses, also let it idle for a while with the AC off to see if the temp rose again. It didn't and the fans are kicking in properly.
I am stumped and not sure how it could of heppend.

No fault codes. And it's a 2001 s3 amk.

Any ideas?

When the car was just sat running with the AC on - the cooling fan ran. And then if I swiftch the AC of, they will both kick in once it reaches temp.
Not sure about water pump. It was done last year (not sure when) what are the symptoms mate?

Thanks.

It happened this morning again with the AC on. I didn't let it rise higher than 95, strange as I couldn't get it to over heat last night.

Does it look like water pump failure?

What's the best way to do this? Just take the cap off then start it up?
Thanks appreciate the help.

you are no supposed to run a pressurised system with the cap off, 95 isn't hot enough for the fan to kick in even is it? don't they kick in at 97 normally?

with the crappy fiats I have owned when the water pump is poor usually revving the engine brings the temp down as the pump isn't pushing enough water through on idle, but the same will happen if you have air in the system, but then why would air be in the system.

HG ? are you water hoses easy to compress after the engine has been running for a few minutes?

How would I check for water returning to the header then? Coolant level is normal so not loosing any.
There is no reason for there to be air in the system. Only things that's been done recently is service + gearbox oil + haldex oil and drop links.
Il check the hoses when I get to work this morning. Doubt it's HG but you never know, HG went in Jan this year.

Thanks mate.

Im pretty sure if the water pump is working water should return through the small top hose on the header tank itself.
You should be able to give the engine a little rev and see coolant flowing into the top of the tank from that top hose without removing the cap.
So basically look at the top of the tank where that hose enters and you should see coolant flowing in.

I will see what I can see later when I get chance, could do without another big bill before Christmas. Haha.
Thanks guys.

You could even remove the small hose from the top of the header tank and put it in some sort of container, give it a rev and see if coolant comes out. DON'T do this when it's hot tho!!!

Yeah I will get one of the lads at work to rev a little while I look, if I can't see much il take the top hose off. Cheers!

Right... Water is flowing back to the header tank, as I increased revs it also increased slightly. We also noticed a noise coming from the cambelt side. Sounds like a belt or pulley not too sure. Could even be the water pump. But it's a squeak/grinding noise. I will try and get a video but I am thinking that my water pump is dying.
Correct me if I'm wrong people.

Thanks

The noise was really bad this morning. Uploaded a video to the s3 8l Facebook page as my phone wouldn't let me upload here. Booked in for a new water pump and belt even though the belt was done 10k ago. And it's a good price too!
Hope this solves my problems.

Last edited: