Any mechanics and welders on here ?

JULZS3

Reaction score
Hi I recently had a res delete on my s3 8p it was the centre res along with the mini flex joint which were both replaced with a straight pipe , when I took the car to the garage the guy spent 15/20minutes looking under the car before carrying out the work a few days later on the day of inspection he said it would be £150+Vat when I went to collect the car he charged me £200+Vat if he knew what he had to do why would of he charged me more ? All I'm asking is how much would you charge he supplied the parts and done the welding

You think he charged too much & supplied everything, I think you got of lite tbh.

That's like asking me to look at a girl and expect to know how much it will cost me to go out with her. I've seen 50 up to 2000 for an exhaust change depending on the time spent, material needed and complexity of the job. With exhaust work, I will gladly pay a premium if the work is done right as I hate to spend twice for the same job. I can't give an answer without seeing the original issue and the work performed as well as the charge ticket. I would have asked him why he charged more and then share the entire interaction with us. An estimate is just that. I've never paid less and usually always pay more than the estimate. I always have more than one estimate. My grandmother always told me "a fool and their money are soon parted".

Reactions: Sandra, JULZS3 and NHN
Alot of people saying it should of been £100+Vat these are people that have actually had it done ‍♂️

That's like asking me to look at a girl and expect to know how much it will cost me to go out with her. I've seen 50 up to 2000 for an exhaust change depending on the time spent, material needed and complexity of the job. With exhaust work, I will gladly pay a premium if the work is done right as I hate to spend twice for the same job. I can't give an answer without seeing the original issue and the work performed as well as the charge ticket. I would have asked him why he charged more and then share the entire interaction with us. An estimate is just that. I've never paid less and usually always pay more than the estimate. I always have more than one estimate. My grandmother always told me "a fool and their money are soon parted".
Just a con like most mechanics to be honest mate

Yeap it's a con, years of experience, tools, parts, gas, premises, lighting, heating, ramps, calibration tools, insurance, liability, many more things, I mean who would ever charge a price for any of that lol

Reactions: DIW197, Sibmets, Garrett 69 and 1 other person
It depends what was actually done.
If he cut the silencer out and replaced with a straight pipe then used exhaust clamps and clamped the straight pipe then I would say a little expensive but unreasonable.
if he welded it that’s a different story. He would have had to remove the whole exhaust to be able to weld all the way round. The removal and fitting/alignment of the exhaust is over an hours work then the welding probably an hour on top. £200 is reasonable for this work I would say. A top notch welder is worth paying for as I’ve seen some shoddy welding in my time from professionals.
Put it this way you wouldn't get 2 hours labour from a dealership for £200.

Reactions: Sibmets
Yeap it's a con, years of experience, tools, parts, gas, premises, lighting, heating, ramps, calibration tools, insurance, liability, many more things, I mean who would ever charge a price for any of that lol
I was going to say you paying £30 a bit steel pipe yes but you also paying him £50-60 per hours for labour and that would of easily been a 1.5-2 hour job

In other word your paying a competent person who is experienced and qualified to do the **** you can't.
I personally get this alot as an self employed electrician i charge between £70-80 per hour now people think omg he so exxpensive as the assume.£ 70-80 goes into my pocket lol
I love to profit £70 p/h where in reality i only profit 15/25 p/r and if i get a call back well than thats just a loss and u end up working for free the remainder goes to pay all you hardware/software insurances etc you overhead running costs. At the end of the day they are running a business to put food on the own table and feed there family as well as supply you with a service. The important thing is they do the work with respect and enjoyment because a lazy/ fed up mechanic is a **** one and this goes with every trade

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE
I was going to say you paying £30 a bit steel pipe yes but you also paying him £50-60 per hours for labour and that would of easily been a 1.5-2 hour job

In other word your paying a competent person who is experienced and qualified to do the **** you can't.
I personally get this alot as an self employed electrician i charge between £70-80 per hour now people think omg he so exxpensive as the assume.£ 70-80 goes into my pocket lol
I love to profit £70 p/h where in reality i only profit 15/25 p/r and if i get a call back well than thats just a loss and u end up working for free the remainder goes to pay all you hardware/software insurances etc you overhead running costs. At the end of the day they are running a business to put food on the own table and feed there family as well as supply you with a service. The important thing is they do the work with respect and enjoyment because a lazy/ fed up mechanic is a **** one and this goes with every trade

Totally agree with this.
a lot of folk see self employed folks as rip off merchants.
In your case of charging £70 an hour
You’ve lost almost £12 in vat
£13 in income tax at the low rate or £23 at high rate
12% national insurance at £7
Leaves you with around £38 then you got to deduct things like fuel, depreciation of tools and equipment, insurances and paying for accountants, lawyers and possibly commercial property costs etc.
You will be lucky you get away with £15-25 profit.
I do consultancy work and so many times I go to client premises and the staff there goes look at him charging a fortune and driving fancy cars, he must be loaded cause he’s ripping us off, half the time I’m barely making £15-20ph for a full days work once you factor in hours of travelling, preparation etc. if you couldn’t tell my background is an accountant so these numbers naturally comes to me. :wink:
it’s like folk were saying dealers were a rip-off compared to a back street garage. Wouldn’t say they are a rip off just a different business model. Prime real estate, training, latest state of the art equipment and whatever Audi hq imposes on them. Also got the posh coffee and probably a million pound + worth of cars in showroom sitting there so you can have a nosy. Backstreet garage has small premises and little overheads in comparison. Not saying the backstreet garage won’t do a good job but it’s just a different business model.

Reactions: e9_mustii
Totally agree with this.
a lot of folk see self employed folks as rip off merchants.
In your case of charging £70 an hour
You’ve lost almost £12 in vat
£13 in income tax at the low rate or £23 at high rate
12% national insurance at £7
Leaves you with around £38 then you got to deduct things like fuel, depreciation of tools and equipment, insurances and paying for accountants, lawyers and possibly commercial property costs etc.
You will be lucky you get away with £15-25 profit.
I do consultancy work and so many times I go to client premises and the staff there goes look at him charging a fortune and driving fancy cars, he must be loaded cause he’s ripping us off, half the time I’m barely making £15-20ph for a full days work once you factor in hours of travelling, preparation etc. if you couldn’t tell my background is an accountant so these numbers naturally comes to me. :wink:
it’s like folk were saying dealers were a rip-off compared to a back street garage. Wouldn’t say they are a rip off just a different business model. Prime real estate, training, latest state of the art equipment and whatever Audi hq imposes on them. Also got the posh coffee and probably a million pound + worth of cars in showroom sitting there so you can have a nosy. Backstreet garage has small premises and little overheads in comparison. Not saying the backstreet garage won’t do a good job but it’s just a different business model.
*** now that you put it like that i think i need to up my rate

• Haha
Reactions: Garrett 69 and AlS3BE
I've always charged more for work on vehicles when they turn up driven by a member of the tracksuit brigade. For some reason chav = increase in hourly rate. :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
I've always charged more for work on vehicles when they turn up driven by a member of the tracksuit brigade. For some reason chav = increase in hourly rate. :tearsofjoy:
That's fair, i charge triple when i get the far too common i saw it on uTube and it looked easy c00nt

• Haha
Reactions: AlS3BE and Garrett 69
Well i bet he quickly regretted posting on here :grimacing::tearsofjoy:
Hope not its its all fun and bants on here at the end of the day and we do try to help everyone we can when we can. Although not much help can be given in this situation as its either if you're capable to do it yourself and if u mess up well you blame your self and if you sort it happy days more money in pocket that will contribute to fuel oil or mods lol or you take your wallet out and save yourself the stress and time

Hope not its its all fun and bants on here at the end of the day and we do try to help everyone we can when we can. Although not much help can be given in this situation as its either if you're capable to do it yourself and if u mess up well you blame your self and if you sort it happy days more money in pocket that will contribute to fuel oil or mods lol or you take your wallet out and save yourself the stress and time

I hear you there, i generally give everything a go just because I like being hands on not necessarily to cut cost although that’s a bonus but more for learning more as I go and everytime I end up doing a job it’s almost guaranteed to end in swearing and throwing something at some point along the way lol but I do get there eventually, even though I always have the thought half way through of *** I’d rather just pay someone else than deal with this lol.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Sandra
I hear you there, i generally give everything a go just because I like being hands on not necessarily to cut cost although that’s a bonus but more for learning more as I go and everytime I end up doing a job it’s almost guaranteed to end in swearing and throwing something at some point along the way lol but I do get there eventually, even though I always have the thought half way through of *** I’d rather just pay someone else than deal with this lol.
100000% it gets like that sometimes

Reactions: AlS3BE, Sandra and Ricky Burrows