Any mechanics need some advice

Phil-1

Regional Rep
Reaction score
Website
www.philseagust.co.uk
My daughter Ford KA broke down this evening. The oil warning light came on.
I'm working away from home so can't look at it but a neighbour said it's ok for oil and the lights gone out but it's now got a tapping sound coming from the engine.

Is it safe to drive the 2 miles to the garage?
What could be wrong?
What's it going to cost?

Thanks Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's been running on no oil and the engine has basically merged together.

Put some oil in, try driving it and see what happens, sounds like the damage has already been done in which case you can't really do any worse.

Game over for the engine if it is what it sounds like, had something similar to this on one of my car's before unfortunately.

It's was ok for oil etc. The light came on and then went off. It's going into the garage tomorrow they said it could be the sensor and it haven't run out of oil pressure or it could be the oil pump, can shaft and followers.
But I do know it's going to cost a bit to get fixed

What plate is it? If it's the pre 2009 mk1 type might be worth getting another one as I can't see it being cam shaft's and followers unless the oil was absolutely foul and clogging everything up due to lack of servicing etc and if it's not that and more bottom end related (which it sounds like to me) then your looking at mega bucks unfortunately.

****** kids haha, hope it works out mate.

Well I've returned home after being away and had a look at my daughters car. First the oil level is ok, it's starts ok. It does have a very slight taping sound but that goes once it's warm. The oil is clean and there are no leaks. I think my neighbour has over exaggerated the noise. Yes the oil warning light came on then went out. Talking to the garage they said it could be the oil pressure sensor or the oil pump on its way out. But not a new engine.

It's going to be left with them. I have told them to sort it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DieselJake
It could be that the oil pickup is blocked.

That's what I'm hoping

It's funny I also posted in a Ford forum and received not one reply. Posted in an Audi forum and get more than one reply. What's that tell you? We are more helpful than them

What year is it? The 1.3 is terrible for tapping at very low mileage

It's a 2010 1.2L. With 50k on the clock. It was meant to be a cheap car for my daughter, insurance and running but this might not be the case now

Just been told that it needs a new oil pump as it's only producing 6 PSI at tick over and 60 when revved. Plus it's due a water pump and timing belt.
Looks like it's going to cost a bit