Help Please Any one fitted a Non OEM battery - e.g Lion, X-power, etc?

audiwaterpump

Reaction score
Hello
Has anyone fitted a Non OEM battery in their Audi A4?
Ie. Lion, X-power, etc batteries.
Naturally there will be a slight difference in the Ah and Cold cranking ratings.

And did you need to code it in with VCDS?

Current battery is MOLL MLA (whoever they are). 95Ah and 760A EN/SAE
I don't have stop start.

Thanks

I didn't want to hijack any other battery threads, as they all seem to lean towards Varts, etc

I fitted a lion from ECP, I made the mistake of not checking that the one they recommend for my car was Right and it turn out to be massively under sized and only lasted for a year. I put the right sized one in (Pro-bat brand) sourced from eBay a few weeks ago, it was only £68 And is so far working well. Didn’t bother to code either in.

It's also OEM for certain Audis

Yes, I agree or more correctly VW and Audi, and as VW own Porsche that fits as well.

Not your question, but I always try to buy a good quality battery at a sensible price, lots of people end up deliberately or accidentally buying a por quality battery at a highish price.

That is where Tayna and Varta makes a bit of sense for me.

Got to love the stealers..

A mate of mine is in the business and has two small warehouses full of batteries .

He travelled more than 10 miles to fit a new 063 battery to a neighbours car at 6am so he could go to work .

The cost... £30 .

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Hello
Naturally there will be a slight difference in the Ah and Cold cranking ratings.

I don't have stop start.

Thanks

I didn't want to hijack any other battery threads, as they all seem to lean towards Varts, etc

Mine is a start stop A4 2015 and I bought a like to like VARTA (OEM was also Varta) brand new from EuroCarParts for £200 (was on code discount), installed my self and didn’t need coding or adaptation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

I don't have stop start.

Thanks

Most threads lean towards Varta as they are probably the most reliable and best battery brand you can buy. Most VAG cars use Varta as the OEM battery.
If it is a 95Ah battery then it's probably an 019 size battery. Check by physically measuring it or find the Audi part number and check against the list here.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Audi-Car-Batteries
The 019 battery for cars without stop start is here.
you can save £10 or £15 by going for a cheaper battery and if you only keep the car for another year or two it may not bite you. A colleague of mine was actually telling me last night how he ended up walking 3 miles carrying a battery after the new Lion battery he bought from ECP failed after 2 weeks. They changed it under warranty but would not allow him to change to a different battery make. So he's hoping this one lasts a little longer.
As long as you fit a battery of the same capacity + or - a few Ah and the same technology, standard, EFB or AGM then you don't need to recode the car. It will learn that a new battery is present.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/h3/

I always buy Bosch S5 batteries, 5 year warranty and never had any problem.

I have a habit of buying cars who's batteries are about to die. Several people benefitting from batteries I've bought...

I always buy Bosch S5 batteries, 5 year warranty and never had any problem.

I have a habit of buying cars who's batteries are about to die. Several people benefitting from batteries I've bought...
I believe Bosch do not make batteries and are made in the Varta factory but with a different sticker, and more expensive.
Same battery, higher price.

I believe Bosch do not make batteries and are made in the Varta factory but with a different sticker, and more expensive.
Same battery, higher price.

I didn't know that but looks like it's right! Good to know in the future.

I shopped around for my most recent S5 and got it cheaper off Amazon than I can find the same Varta battery

Evening all, considering changing the battery for myself....is there anything I need to know??

I'm going to look at changing my battery soon as I've noticed it's cranking a bit slow on these cold mornings. Battery meter is still reading full though so I suspect that I may need to adjust the coding for it.