Any plumbers on the forum?

it is tempting, cos all the courses and cash they throw at you is great, but shifts ,call out, week ends and bank holidays are just not my bag man..............
the down side is , your always learning and bg allows you to make the odd bumble when diagnosing a fault, whereas in the real world, youd have some explaining to do..!!! ha ha ha

tdi, if you have a manual for a jag 24 on yer laptop, .... get it sent over pal, im having a nightmare over a ****** clip.!!! ive told the geezer it has to be the right one, we cant bodge it as it contains near boiling water at pressure.... without the right clip, i cant fix his boiler ???
seems a shame to write one off for a clip that costs about a quid.....

Sorry aint had time to look back on been busy do you still need that diagram? Good thing about BG now its the 4 day week starting at the end of next week so a nice relaxing summer ahead...then when its over I can start whinging and moaning again cos its all crap...I only rejoined when I moved up here...worked for a better place down south with less hassles but must say its a bit more relaxed around where I am working now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you need it still will try and sort summits out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry Myzeneye, i'm installation, where the real work goes on, so have no access to the laptops or dvd's for 1-2-3 fault finding.

But i'm looking forward to my rest days too.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Myzeneye, i'm installation, where the real work goes on, so have no access to the laptops or dvd's for 1-2-3 fault finding.

But i'm looking forward to my rest days too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the cheek of yer !!! ha ha ha
i do my installations at the week ends...... nudge nudge wink wink say no more...........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

im sorted with the jaguar, i got glow worm to email the exploded diagram.....

It's not the APS, voltage check indicates it's working once the boiler has shut down but the fan is still going.

I live in a very hard water area, would scale build up in the heat exchanger cause these symptoms?

What I'm thinking is the heat exchanger can't get rid of the heat into the water very effectively so heats up itself causing the high limit stat to cut in?

What also makes me think this is that in the mornings, when the boiler is cold, it runs happily for 3-4 minutes before cutting out, but once warm will only ignite for 15-20 seconds at a time max.

Kev.

Is the boiler noisey at all? Scale tends to make things alot noisier...tis pretty difficult to diagnose without being there. It could even be that the boiler is overgassed or the high and low gas rates arent set up correctly or gas valve knackerred so it isnt modulating....can start to be an endless list now.....when was the last time it was look at by a pro? And I dont mean lady of the night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EDIT also are there any fault lights on the front? Thats another giveaway...the servicing instructions should have basic fault finding....

The boiler is not quite, that's for sure.

Last time serviced (allegedly) 18 months ago just before I bought the place.

Fault light kicks in on shut down. Fault light when looked up in the manual means "a fault has occured".

I'm good with all things electrical, even electronic, but boilers are not my game. (know you're limits, compression fittings and coving are mine).

Kev.

Might be time to bite the bullet and get someone in unless anyone else has any suggestions? Would not recomend bridging anything out like limit stats or what not especially if it is overheating.

I agree shorting a high limit stat is not a good idea.

One quick question before handing it over to an "expert". Can I ping a pipe off the heat exchanger to visually check for calcium build up?

I'll take a pic of the flexible pipes and connections leading to it for you if it helps answer.

Kev.

You cant really tell generally if there is scale in the heat exchanger apart from listening to how it sounds. But overgassing can give the impression of scale as well. Also a dodgy pump.I dont think you will have much joy in trying to look inside to be honest.

OK mate, thanks for all the help.

I'll get someone in to have a look, just like to do the best I can before I give in!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kev.

kevint,
has dhw flow rate been affected ?
when it does run hot is it scalding hot ?
you say its not quiet, does it make a noise like a ketlle just prior to boiling point ?a kind of fizz/hiss?

S3K and tdiline,
ive got a question for you, doed sentinell x400 or any flush cleaner treatment require the water in the heating curciut to be hot to work ?
im gonna fit a boiler at the weekend, but was gonna flush the system firts to give it a clean out, but the existing boiler is dead.... the burner is goosed amongst many many other things... if i isolate the gas supply and run the heating with cleaner in, will it work ?
somthing ive never really had to think/worry about.......i ushally power flush but the machine is unavailable this weekend and i was gonna flush it thurs/fri....

Hello there Matty,

It's never been scalding hot since I moved in. But then again as I said I've never had a combi. Flow rate is not what I expect, but if it's normal for the area or not I don't know.

If it's a scaling problem it could of been getting worse over the years. I'm not sure how old the boiler is but the fan has a 2000 sticker on it.

As for noise it's difficult. I never heard my old baxi apart from the gas solenoid. In this I hear it all, fan, solenoid, ignition, pump etc...

As I say, I think it's beyound me now. I'll be sure to let you all know what the problem turns out to be.

Kev.

yeah mate, like we all said, its very hard to diagnose without being stood right infront of the thing....
hopefully, the guy you call out will know his onions.
it could be a modureg/gas valve issue or anything, it seems like somthing that requires the use of a manometer and a multi meter to start a process of ilimination....
let us know.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It normaly says on the cartridge/container to run it through hot. Not sure how much of a difference it would make running it through cold but alot of the time its used for cold spots so the only way of checking that it has dispursed the sludge would be to run it hot. I am not an installer so maybe tdi would know more as they do alot more on the water treatment side of things but I would say if you can stick some in prior to the job and then another lot in when your doing the hot flush to commision it wont hurt it. If I am doing anything like that I stick some in a week before then drain it off when I do the job then cold flush once the boiler is in. Then more chemicals in and hot flush then depending and whats come out again another hot flush for good measure. Takes blimmin ages but at you know it shouldnt give you problems when you put the inhibiter in afterwards.

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

I'm not too worrried at the mo, if I turn the CH off I can shower in perfectly warm water /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kev.

Booked in to be looked at this week.

It's warm down here so no CH needed at the moment, it means I get nice and warm showers!

I'll let you know the outcome.

Kev.

Just gonna hijack this thread for a minute LOL. Does anyone on here know to wire up a sunvic digital room thermostat. My old Potterton one is in need of changing. When I looked inside the old one there were only 3 wires, one off on its own and 2 by the dial. Now I would assume the one on its own was the power and the others were on/off. I guessed the worst I could do was wire the on/off the wrong way around.....na, ....big spark and everything went dark. Does anyone have any idea of what is wrong. To me it seems power was going somewhere it shouldn't be, I just can't understand how......any help would be appreciated

Just gonna hijack this thread for a minute LOL how long do i reheat a donner kebab and salt and vinegard chips in the microwave at this time of the night ?

you need to give the kebab at least 5 minutes in the micro. The chips should be put in the deep fat fryer...NOT the micro as they will go floppy an taste like *****. I hope this has been of some assistance to you! cause its no help to me

Mac i would start a new thread if i were you

....B.B another Stella moment