Anybody recommend a good home air-con machine??

bravepilot

Reaction score
I'm starting to get strange looks as I go to sleep at night in my climate controlled A3 on my drive 'cause the house is just too hot to sleep in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

Ha Ha........ You've been watching too many Ford adverts... (The one where the little girl wakes up and goes to the mondeo)

I've currently got a Sumatsu Portable air-con unit, it's about 4 ft tall and very effective in this weather. Think they do them at Cosco for around £280 these days, I got mine from a mate who works at a wholesalers last year for £188 - bargain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You lot have to be joking? an aircon in the UK? That's like an eskimo buying an ice maker. What's the temp? 25C?

(rude comments welcome...lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

32oC at the moment, but its really humid and nasty.

Rich

It's frickin 27oC upstairs at the time of making this post, and Jojo junior is struggling to sleep in the heat, air-con is a godsend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

I was thinking of using one in lofts at work (39c), why do people want boilers in lofts in the summer, come on now people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Cheers Jojo, I'll check it out...

TDI... you should be able to get one trade? I'll go through my wife's dad... he's trade, useful for when we were completely stripping our house down to the bare bones!

[ QUOTE ]
You lot have to be joking? an aircon in the UK? That's like an eskimo buying an ice maker. What's the temp? 25C?

(rude comments welcome...lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

Global warming mate... we'll soon have Giraffe's and Lions too!

You cant see it but my thumb and forefinger are playing the worlds smallest violin just for you Audi5e /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Isnt your winter anyhow??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tell you what, send the hot weather here. We are dying of the cold today, friggin 15C!!!
I had to put a jersey on this morning.... :))

[/ QUOTE ]

I would happily swap, I function much better in 15 C... and in a t-shirt incedently, not a jumper... soft southerners! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ha ha ha! right then a trade, your hot weather for our feezing weather... :))

I realize being used to such cold weather you guys have to play small instruments but we have to manhandle our enormous double bass's in icy weather..... :))))

Meanwhile, back on topic, I think you can get them in B&Q from about £100. No idea what's good & what's not, but presumably the more you pay, the better they are.

Do what Homer Simpson does;

Open the door to your freezer and fit a tent to the front and move in till the crap weather comes, which should be sometime today!

My mum lives in london and she has two but doesnt use them most of the time because with the ones she got you need to put this large plastic ice thingy in the freezer first. she has no space in her freezer for them usually! so they are basically large ugly expensive ornaments in her living room.

she assumed it would work like her car! so be aware of how they work when buying.

The only really effective units are two piece - where the heat is taken outside of the space that you are cooling and shed via a heat exchanger elsewhere.. any of the one-piece solutions cannot actually take away any heat from the room for you..

The units at B&Q are a proper fitted unit with a cool air blower fitted inside and the the condenser and heat exchanger needing to be mounted outside, and the relevant plumbing between. given the price Ive paid at some of our sites for this kind of kit, the B&Q stuff is superb at the price (less than £600 even at full price) but you need to be sure you want it and the hassle of fitting it.. Saw it running though, (they had one fitted in a conservatory I was looking at there) and it was very effective and very quiet.. I am considering them for one or two of our offices..

We have some of the cool air blowers like IanL is talking about at work.. you put the ice blocks in, and top up the reservior of water. There is a band of cloth that has one end submerged in the resulting cool water, which then slowly rotates so that the cool wet bit is behind the fan blowing the air into the room.. yes its a cool breeze, but on the basis of the four we have in a fairly large space I would agree with ianL, and would suggest that they are not even as good as a decent fan near a window!

The one at B&Q for £600 (full price) is a nice bit of kit. I've stayed in a hotel with one of those mounted at ceiling level above the bed, quiet and effective.

Kev.

homebase was selling the 12000 btu for £179 but i couldnt sleep with that ****** running in the back ground the smaller one which eventually gets there was from curry and is reasonably quite so used in bedroom. Word of caution i must admit that with the 12000 btu unit i have to turn telly up, was going to take it back due this and to it only being used once in a blue moon in uk but after two really hot days on a trot (seems like years ago now) must admit appreciated it, i would admit with the 5000 btu unit i think if i could exchange it for about 8000 9000 btus i would, but then back to square 1 again bigger unit more noise. With both of them, like jojo said you have to connect hose and run out window. BEWARE neighbours will take the p but then will visit with beer and wine so that they can cool down.