Anybody tried the REVO intercooler?

Evolution_Roy

Reaction score
Looks promising, bar and plate and not need to modify the crash bar :rock:
But is it any good? Most worried about added lag.....

Subd

TTRS owner looking for an intercooler that doesn’t require me hacking the front end up. Forge requires me to grind away part of the rad support and Wagner needs to chop some bits up.

Thinking the revo is a plug and play job...

Sadly I am not allowed to comment on any product from the company I work for :disappointed:

I’ve bought this part. I purchased the forge but returned it due to not being happy cutting into my rad support bars. Same with the Wagner.

Other options were APR, I think Unitronic has just released there’s and the rest are the smaller stage 1 style coolers.

I took the plunge on the Revo as it offer plug and play fitment and is larger than the others mentioned.

It will be fitted on Thursday next week. The following day il be having

Powervalve decat gpf delete,
APR intake,
Forge elbow,
Bilstein coilovers fitted.

Then is off for a stage 2 engine and gearbox tune at Unicorn Develoments.

Excited

Reactions: thatrscar, Evolution_Roy and Dan_DJT
I’ve bought this part. I purchased the forge but returned it due to not being happy cutting into my rad support bars. Same with the Wagner.

Other options were APR, I think Unitronic has just released there’s and the rest are the smaller stage 1 style coolers.

I took the plunge on the Revo as it offer plug and play fitment and is larger than the others mentioned.

It will be fitted on Thursday next week. The following day il be having

Powervalve decat gpf delete,
APR intake,
Forge elbow,
Bilstein coilovers fitted.

Then is off for a stage 2 engine and gearbox tune at Unicorn Develoments.

Excited

I am also looking to purchase this intercooler due to a direct fit with existing crash bar. It also includes a charge pipe and 3 silicone hoses

How did the install and performance go for you jonnyfeng?

In the past youve asked me not to promote any products from the company I work for
Don’t sell products on the forum. Your free to discuss Dan.

Just to confirm it does remove the stock crash bar and it has the ‘integrated’ crash bar. Does this have any repercussions on insurance?

isn’t that the link for the RS3? Sorry I was referring to the TTRS specific one? By the looks of it, it does require the OEM crash to be removed? Thanks

Ah OK, this is the RS3 forum though. Revo TTRS intercooler does have integrated crashbar.

Reactions: SteveCerq
I like all the technical blurb when they display graphs and tell you how good something is.
On the Revo intercooler there are various graphs showing intake and outlet temps and pressure drop across the intercooler. This is the one that caught my eye as the pressure drop across the Revo looks to be worse than the OE one by a fair margin.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/cooling/audi-rs3-8v2-intercooler&engineid=353

Upload 2021 2 3 15 34 0

The blurb says "Pressure drop is an important factor when it comes to choosing an Intercooler. The Revo solution features custom cast end tanks to evenly distribute air over the core. This graph highlights that even with massive core size difference there is only a 0.34psi pressure drop in comparison to the stock intercooler, ensuring engine response and minimised turbo lag"
The negative pressure drop is at the point when the throttle is closed and there is little flow.When the engine is being run to perform the power run there is almost twice as much pressure drop across the Revo intercooler ???

The increased pressure drop would be the penalty you pay with any larger cooler. You have a bigger chamber to fill with charged air. This is where many make a mistake in going to a too bigger cooler than necessary for their power level.

Reactions: BI33
Ah OK, this is the RS3 forum though. Revo TTRS intercooler does have integrated crashbar.

Apologies @Dan_DJT lol I was just following the initial thread answer from @jonnyfeng who I believe has the TTRS. Be great to get some feedback from @jonnyfeng as to how it's holding up? Many guys here in Oz run the Wagner but I'm always down to try something else. Revo always make a good kit but seem to lack popularity here in oz.

The increased pressure drop would be the penalty you pay with any larger cooler. You have a bigger chamber to fill with charged air. This is where many make a mistake in going to a too bigger cooler than necessary for their power level.

But according to the other graph in their website, there is actually less lag?
Upload 2021 2 5 11 19 50

Just to confirm it does remove the stock crash bar and it has the ‘integrated’ crash bar. Does this have any repercussions on insurance?
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

The term lag is confusing. As turbo lag is different to spool up lag which is different to throttle lag. They all cause a delay in response but for different reasons.

The term lag is confusing. As turbo lag is different to spool up lag which is different to throttle lag. They all cause a delay in response but for different reasons.

not sure what you mean, in any case in the power graph it seems that there is no additional lag due to the intercooler.
and I think pressure drop is important not only for the initial spoolup phase, but mostly afterwards, as it is a measure of the resistance to the air flow caused by the intercooler.

But anyhow, is there anyone on this forum who actually tried it? And can give some results?

I've tried them on both DNWA and DAZA cars for stage2 development and they are great, but then I am biased

Reactions: Sandra
I’ve got the Revo cooler fitted. As others say Great design, no cutting or altering of stock parts. Have no complaints - seems to run well, don’t have any figures as not had time to do any and trusted what the guys have made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dan_DJT
I’ve got the Revo cooler fitted. As others say Great design, no cutting or altering of stock parts. Have no complaints - seems to run well, don’t have any figures as not had time to do any and trusted what the guys have made.

Are you running standard map or a tune? Did the car need specific mapping for the intercooler?

Are you running standard map or a tune? Did the car need specific mapping for the intercooler?

Revo Stage1 - no specific map change. I did it for the health benefits if that makes sense, looking after it - keeping things cooler, more so for the summer when it’s hotter and helps with heatsoak.

Reactions: Riko0073, Evolution_Roy and Dan_DJT
I'm using it for my Revo stage 2 I can't compare it to anything because it's the only one I've had. It does it's job and I can't say I've noticed any lag. But after having stage 2 the car runs hotter oil temps between 91-94c normal driving and after giving it some beans the highest I've seen is 103c.
This cooler actually any good then as I’m about to buy one for stage 2 on my DAZA.

Reactions: Naylor92
This cooler is definitely more than good enough for stage 2 application - It is quite normal for the engine operating temps to be higher on a tuned car. this is due to the more combustion taking place.

Intake temps are what you want to see and with this cooler it certainly maintains decent intake temps even in warm weather like weve been having recently.

You certainly wouldnt see any further benefit from other full sized coolers over this one or visa versa!

Also the benefit of the Revo vs the other coolers is it doesnt require any modifications for it to fit. where as the forge and wagner both do. On this basis i chose the REvo and i am not disappointed in the slightest.

To note i have yet to see another stage 2 DNWA TTRS match my figures and dragy times.

Reactions: s3bow and Naylor92
Also the benefit of the Revo vs the other coolers is it doesnt require any modifications for it to fit. where as the forge and wagner both do. On this basis i chose the REvo and i am not disappointed in the slightest.

To note i have yet to see another stage 2 DNWA TTRS match my figures and dragy times.
I think the Unitronic and the APR are also OE fit and do not require and mods.

I'm using it for my Revo stage 2 I can't compare it to anything because it's the only one I've had. It does it's job and I can't say I've noticed any lag. But after having stage 2 the car runs hotter oil temps between 91-94c normal driving and after giving it some beans the highest I've seen is 103c.
I think that’s pretty much normal with the oil temps anyway chap. Regardless of tune.

This cooler is definitely more than good enough for stage 2 application - It is quite normal for the engine operating temps to be higher on a tuned car. this is due to the more combustion taking place.

Intake temps are what you want to see and with this cooler it certainly maintains decent intake temps even in warm weather like weve been having recently.

You certainly wouldnt see any further benefit from other full sized coolers over this one or visa versa!
Okay chap sounds good! So you’d definitely recommend this one then say over a Wagner Evo 1 or a smaller type like that?

Definitely sounds good mate, although mine is for a DAZA RS3. I know it’s all the same more or less.

I just saw something about lag and pressure drop when using this Revo cooler is all and that’s why I had slight reservations over it!?

I think the Unitronic and the APR are also OE fit and do not require and mods.
They both fit well but you have to buy the US crash bar and foam inserts. They then work out more expensive compared to the Revo and the Revo is slightly larger than them. They would all be perfectly fine for stage 2 though.

Okay chap sounds good! So you’d definitely recommend this one then say over a Wagner Evo 1 or a smaller type like that?
The Wagner evo 1 and other smaller intercooler would be okay for stage 1 and potentially stage 2 but I think they would be getting to a limit under hard driving or hot weather (stage 2)

I just saw something about lag and pressure drop when using this Revo cooler is all and that’s why I had slight reservations over it!?
You may find with any of the larger intercooler that if you ran them on the stock car for example there may be slight lag. But on a tuned application where you would typically use the intercooler the added request from the car supersedes