Anybody work in the offshore industry?

gary3306

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
As per title; does anybody work offshore? I'm after some advice. Particularly from anybody working/having worked for TransOcean.

I work on boats.... What you after mate?

Well basically I'm after getting into the industry. I have booked and paid for BOSIET, MIST, Banksman Slinger and medical and its at the end of March. Got a wealth of Mechanical Engineering experience, especially plant equipment. Just need somebody in the biz to give me some pointers as to whom to approach etc.

Absolutely more than happy to start from the ground up, not too proud to be a maintenance roustabout. I swing a mean paintbrush :)

I don't have any connections with what you want to get into, but the only advice I can give is get your CV out there mate. The more you send out the better obviously, and someone will bite. Best of luck though!

I sent off 1348 CVs believe it or not and had no interest :huh:. Decided to do these mandatory courses first to beef up my CV and show my commitment to finding a career in the industry. Catch 22 situation mind you, because if nothing comes of it, thats £1200 down the drain.

I sent off 1348 CVs believe it or not and had no interest :huh:.

Sweet Moses, you're kidding?! Maybe with the training that you're going through will make your CV stand out a bit more. Trouble is, you've got to invest in courses to make yourself attractive to companies.

I'm in the pleasure cruising side of things, hence no connections from my end. But I do seem to remember a while ago a thread and another member was on a rig somewhere? Can't remember who it was. This was a good couple of years ago though. If not more.

I shall hunt it down! Yep 1348. I would say about 50 of them replied with a '...sorry, nothing at the moment, thank you for your interest...'

I'm not dead yet, the crusade continues......

Oh yea, most definitely. Something will turn up eventually.

Are you willing to work abroad? I've just remembered I did a course with someone a while ago who used to work on offshore windfarms in Denmark. 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off jobby. He was Captain of the boat that took the engineers out to the windfarms, so don't know if the engineers have a similar deal. I don't have his number, but I could try and track it down if you want?