Anyone claimed for pothole damage?

RichardT

Reaction score
I hit a pothole this week and wrote off a tyre. Luckily no damage to wheel or mechanics.
Thinking of claiming from the council (£100)
Has anyone claimed?
Have success?

It's an absolute nightmare...seriously unless you can prove it's there fault I wouldn't waste your time!!!

Anyone tried claiming over speed bump damages, that absolutely mashes up your suspension over time right?

If the council were aware of the pothole then there is a possibility of claiming; Im not sure on success rates/judges being on your side over the council.

http://www.potholes.co.uk/potholes

Thats usually the website, as you can imagine a council wouldnt work with you to help claim against them.

just make sure when you hit itm and you know its caused damage...photograph the pothole!!!
and keep the receipt/invoice. both will be required as evidence which will help.
even still it will be a nightmare and a pursuit!

I went over a pothole and it shredded my tyre, i went back to take photos and i was taking them someone else went over it and blew their tyre aswell. Everyone said dont bother claiming as you wont get anywhere but all you have to do is take your photos for evidence. You then need to apply for freedom of information i think its called to see if the council was aware of the pothole andhow the road had been maintained. With my pothole they were aware of it and it was already scheuduled to be filled in. I then wrote them a letter saying ive blew my tyre, you was awsre of the hole, heres my bill. They then wrote me a letter back saying its been passed to there claims department then 2 weeks later i got a cheque in the post. Well please with myself.

My daughter successfully claimed for a buckled wheel (steel) and tyre. I don't think she had much of a problem. Bust as said previously you need some photographic evidence. She stood a cone in the hole she hit it was that big.

Anyone tried claiming over speed bump damages, that absolutely mashes up your suspension over time right?

Don't be daft. A speed bump will put far less stress on your suspension than general usage on average road surfaces does. Just consider how little time you spend going over speed bumps as a percentage of all your travel distance. If you damage your suspension then you're taking them too fast basically :p

In London there are speed bumps on almost every small road you go on, and yes if you don't slow down to a crawl it will destroy it.
I find there are far more speed bumps than there are pot holes in London.