Anyone done Bedford ?

MattS5

Reaction score
Just booked this, just wondered what its like ?

Bedford Autodrome

Lots of run off etc, so thought it would be good to get rid of my track day cherry prior to my trip to the ring in Sept .

I've done the motorsport sensation there and it couldn't have been better, I've also heard very good things about the trackdays run there. Probably the best place to start as I doubt you'll manage to hit anything even if you have a SERIOUS off.

Have fun!

that looks like a laugh! are you getting track insurance? how much does the insurance cost?

A mate just done Snetterton on Friday and the insurance was £90 (He didnt bother in the end). £850 XS and £6k limit. (that only covered his car, not 3rd parties etc)

I dont plan on driving like a loon, big run offs etc, so will probably go without.

Jonathan Palmer day is easily the best driving day I've managed to wangle a place on. Evo's, VX220's, Clio Cup, Caterhams, Exiges, and Formula Audi single seaters really good tracks as there's nothing to hit. Awesome!

I put this together after some other people asked me about Bedford. It's just to give people an idea of the run off and track etc : Video

I was there yesterday in my Ibiza. First hour was dry then it started to rain - and it rained lots and lots. All the RWD boys were having a bit of a problem. Kind of funny overtaking a 55 reg M3 in my shed of an Ibiza. Then again, if I were on track in a 40k car in those conditions, I'd be taking it easy! My Ibiza is worth about £500 - if I total it - so what. You can be the best driver in the world - the fellow drivers on track might not be. There are some horror stories from Bedford - in March this year someone took a Toyota Yaris hire car on track and managed to roll it.... Explain that one to Hertz.

Having said all that, don't let it put you off. Even yesterday, with people pirrouting all over the place, no serious incidents at all. There is loads of grass run off (I've been on quite a bit of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) Only one gravel trap, opposite the pit straight. Two cars got into it yesterday - a Caterham which stopped in it, and a Cosworth which just clipped the corner on his third spin and managed to spray the pit exit with pea gravel.

Had a few moments myself - once when finding an S2000 facing me as I came into the corner, and the second time with a Boxster S doing the same thing. Just dived for the grass to avoid hitting them.

Yep, did Bedford last year, and it was fantastic. Drove the Formula Palmer Audi there amongst others, but the scariest was being taken round the track in a Clio 172 that had been stripped of all weight and I was sick in the car was that hairy!

They've replaced a few cars since last year, believe they have the Porsch 911s there now.

I did one of the track days at Brands Hatch a few years ago, and they don't ket you push the cars as hard as at Bedford. Look out for Jonathan Palmer landing in his helicopter, he did the day we were there to say hello in the mornign to all the groups, and then flew off to Brands Hatch.

You will enjoy it, we didn't pay for it, and have managed to get a supplier to pay again in June. Well looking forward to it!

Great vid clips there Scotty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Been having a look at all your others too. That skid pan, looks like it was at pro drive in Warwick ?

I'm well looking forawrd to it now. Glad everyone rates it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Yep It was Prodrive. They've got a very good setup there and loads and loads of space,

Thought it was I went there with Subaru last year and had a great day.
Mike Wood donuting the entire length of that wet section and just doing 4 or 5 more at the end of it was probaby the highlight for me !
Agreed, great venue / organisation

I was at the Motorsport Sensation last Friday - Even when it's wet, it's the business! They do now have a 996 that has had it's suspension sorted for track work - I'd never driven a Porker before, but what a car. Fantastic day, even better if someone else is paying:)

In general the circuits (North, South, East and West) have loads of runoff with only really the west circuit having anything solid to hit, and then only at the 2 slowest corners. Highly recommended.

I am an Instructor there and the cars you drive are now:-

1) Nissan Pathfinder
2) Caterham Seven Superlight 0 to 60 in 3.9 secs!!
3) Nissan 350Z 287 bhp
4) Renault Clio Cup Racer 0 to 60 in 4.1 secs! Sequential Gearbox!
5) Palmer Jaguar JP1 top Speed 180mph! 0 to 60 ONLY 3.6secs!!!
6) Porsche 9111 JP3 320bhp
7) Formula Palmer Audi
and as a fill in Go Karts

Now that's what you can call an EXPERIENCE!

Go on try it! It's the best!!