Anyone else done this

bluemoona3246

Reaction score
Basically I was low on fuel and the light came on at 45 miles, but I dragged it out to get the best mileage and then when the 45 miles were up it beeped and said "0 miles, refuel immediately" which I thought was pretty cool, on my way to the filling station, which was 10 miles away, needless to say I was pooing myself, before I set off to the station 13 miles away I added about 2 litres of petrol into the tank however when I flicked the key it said nothing had been added, so maybe that saved me. I got 471.8 miles out of that tank of petrol, which is very good for the 1.4 122 TFSI. So tell me, has anybody else had any close shaves with almost running out? I wish I had got a picture of the DIS now.

I've always thought it was a bit risky going that low as all the crud from the bottom of the tank gets pulled through the system. I normally try and refill when i get to about a 50 mile range. Although with the S3 thats about 2 gallons so have reduced it to about 30 miles.

Si.

I think crud in the bottom of the tank is a old thing.
With plastic tanks and generally better quality fuel, I don't think it happens as much.

You also have filters that should remove all that crud.

I like that message though. Makes me want to run out of fuel and see what it says.
Doubt mine would say anything, it would just run out and I'll be stranded somewhere.

Reactions: kanecullen89, Minion Bob! and Psyman79
I'm an old-school kinda guy :) That'll help me worry a little less about running low in future though :)

Si.

Ahhh.....the old fuel light roulette game!!

I have played this many a time (not in my S3 I have to say!) I have an old Fiesta that I regularly run till the needle points below the red.
And in our Civic I see how many miles I can do once the light is on too :keule:

I think the best I ever got (if you can call it that) was an extra 45 miles in my old B7 A4 2.0 TDi with the trip computer saying I had 0 miles left :kissmyrings:

Yep,
Late for a night out which started with all meeting at a mates I got there with 5miles range left! When I picked the car up, it showed Zero miles, with 8 miles to nearest Shell station :-0

It made it though but I was also papping myself! EVERY PLEB loves to see a broken down car they cant afford; almost as much they hate to be overtaken by one...

Reactions: nickatkinson
I've had it down to 15miles left in my tank (diesel I grant you). Might try and get it a bit lower as when I refilled at 20miles once it registered 44litres added - still 6 litres in the car! I really need to get around to recalibrating my DIS for more accurate mpg...

As part of my 'Bluetooth faulty on delivery' compensation, I was given a free tank of fuel. I was down to less than 5 miles when I got to the dealer. The nearest Tesco's was about 4 miles from there but they didn't sell Millenium (found out when I got there) so had to drive another 3 miles to Sainsbury's which sold super-unleaded - other refuelling points were miles away on the other side of town. I put as much fuel in as I could since the dealer was paying.

On my current car the low fuel warning light came on and I was only 30 miles / 50 km from my destination. However it was late at night, I was in the middle of nowhere, and it was black bear country. So discretion was the better part of valour and I found someone with a jerry can of gas to top it up. Hence I am alive today :)

I never let it go much below 1/4 of a tank! A few years back I had an emergency phone call in the middle of the night, I started the engine the fuel light was on!!! Luckily there's a 24 hour petrol station locally that I could use, but my time getting to where I needed to be was delayed.

Twice I have managed to put 51 litres into my car.

I can't remember how many miles were left but it was definitely in the red!

Never got as far as 51 litres but was getting twitchy with the last fuel bar flashing red.

Was the most expensive garage in the area but wasn't going to argue given the stated capacity is approx 50 litres:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430647149128701

Reactions: Daveotto and veeeight
Regularly run to 15-20 miles until empty and never have to fill up with more than 47 litres.

Standard miles to empty will give you about half a gallon (2.0 -2.5 litres) "float" when it reads "0, fill immediately"

Every time I go drag racing I try to "empty" the tank to use race fuel at its purest. Last time I let the "please refuel immediately" warning come on and drove around 10 km more. This makes the computer go nuts, I then added 2 gallons of race gas and it said it was still empty, added some more and still nothing. I ended up adding 5 gallons of gas and spent the whole day drag racing with the "please refuel immediately " warning on. It was until I added 9-10 gallons of fuel that it showed a full tank.

I used to run the 'game' on my old s3 8p, doing 10miles plus after 0, never got stuck,

However,
Tried it on my r32 and said I had 10 mile range when I left work. Nearet shel v power was 4 miles away. Ended up 1mile from shel on a main bridge & car cut out at rush hour traffic.

That was one long walk of shame with a fuel canister.

In my 8v s3. I've had the re fill imidiatly just before I pulled into filling station. The guage flashes red too once you get to 0 miles

The warning message is useful but it's really cool IMO when it the says "navigate to nearest fuel station?" Now that's impressive!

Reactions: Blackwhite