Anyone else noticed soft paint

klauster

Reaction score
Just washed my car to find the mother of all stone chips on the bonnet :(

i will have to get it sorted out as it will do my head in :(

Got a couple of chips in mine..... paint is soft. Loads of chips in my radiator, if you look through the front grille you can clock the white chips in the black grille..... doesn't help driving at mach3. maverick out...

Get some wolf chemicals "hardbody" on the bonnet etc or you could get Paint Protection Film on the front of the car to stop the paint getting chipped :)
Elite Car Care - Pages

Unfortunately no chemical sealant / protectant will ever stop stone chips, protection film is the only method and even then bigger stones will still mark. You may want to have it infilled with lacquer Nick rather than a repair spray.

I like the wording "can help prevent". Any LSP can do that to an extent if you apply enough of it as the stone's impact is lessened by what you put on top, the advantage of Wolfs is you don't have to apply too much. G-Techniq say the same of their crystal formula but if you ask them will it actually stop stone chips....... grit ones yes actual stones no. Nothing can and even Ventureshield that I have won't stop some stones but its self healing properties mean that minor marks on it will eventually disappear.

Just thinking is the bonnet also made of carbon composite like the front wings? I wonder if the paint does not grab to it as well as metal panels thus giving the appearance that it is soft?

Last edited:
Reactions: robbiemac
I have done two successful stone chip repairs myself.
Get a Touch up paint from the dealer and keep touching up everyday when the weather is fine and make it so the paint goes higher than the bodywork paint and then rub it down with some t-cut or polish to the same level of the paint and polish it and wax it and they are hardly noticeable.

I had the Wifes Bonnet resprayed for Stone chips, when she collected her car, on the Motorway back from York there were road works and lots of stones on the road which gave her about 5 stone chips on a brand new car, after a few months she got a few more so i just took it for a Bonnet respray and it is good as new :)

That's like saying MacBeth to a theatrical!

I think ill get a bodyshop to try a repair but I don't want a bonnet respray after 1500 miles