Anyone filled up with Silverstone 102 RON fuel?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I saw that there is Gulf Petrol Station at Silverstone that does 102 RON fuel.

I am going to be going past there next week so tempted to fill up - has anyone used it before? Notice any difference?

You’ll only get an advantage if your engine is mapped to do so. Most road going ‘fast’ cars (RS3 inc) are mapped to take advantage up to 98RON but will run on 95 happily without knocking.

Reason there is 102 available there is the high number of track cars going to Silverstone that will be mapped to take advantage of it. They are probably run on 99 most of the time on the road and then put a tank of 102 in for the track day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
You’ll only get an advantage if your engine is mapped to do so. Most road going ‘fast’ cars (RS3 inc) are mapped to take advantage up to 98RON but will run on 95 happily without knocking.

Reason there is 102 available there is the high number of track cars going to Silverstone that will be mapped to take advantage of it. They are probably run on 99 most of the time on the road and then put a tank of 102 in for the track day.

I’m more thinking of the sound. I’ve read that the higher RON fuels may improve the sound the car makes.

Otherwise 99 would be fine - and at least I’d know it’s actually 99.

I dread to think of the price per litre for that as a pump fuel? Haha! I see it’s common in Germany like our V Power.

Reactions: NevMan
£3.33 according to Silverstone’s website.

However I can expense it as I’d be driving past for work

Reactions: NevMan
£3.33 according to Silverstone’s website.

However I can expense it as I’d be driving past for work

Now that’s cheeky :lmfao:

Do it if it’s free! Might have the opposite effect, heard the ECU’s auto adjust to the fuel so may take a tank to adjust?

It adjusts to the fuel using the knock sensor, but this only applies to low octane fuel and having to pull timing to prevent knock, which it does instantly, no learning happens, it just pulls timing immediately when knock is detected.
As I said, when fuel is used that has a higher octane than the engine is tuned for it just runs as if it is on 98 (in this case), no learning occurs.

It adjusts to the fuel using the knock sensor, but this only applies to low octane fuel and having to pull timing to prevent knock, which it does instantly, no learning happens, it just pulls timing immediately when knock is detected.
As I said, when fuel is used that has a higher octane than the engine is tuned for it just runs as if it is on 98 (in this case), no learning occurs.

I see, thank you!

I was told by a tuner last year that there are two kinds of V-Power ‘true’ and ‘mixed’. He said the new petrol stations get ‘true’ V Power which is mixed before it arrives, the old stations retrofit a tank to add the additive to regular fuel?

Well I use an old station a mile or so away from where I live, so before a dyno run I went 45 minutes out to get V Power from a purpose built station and for that tank the car drove rubbish, felt very lazy towards the top end and I put that down to the difference in fuel? Ever since I try and continue to fill at the same station.

I see, thank you!

I was told by a tuner last year that there are two kinds of V-Power ‘true’ and ‘mixed’. He said the new petrol stations get ‘true’ V Power which is mixed before it arrives, the old stations retrofit a tank to add the additive to regular fuel?

Well I use an old station a mile or so away from where I live, so before a dyno run I went 45 minutes out to get V Power from a purpose built station and for that tank the car drove rubbish, felt very lazy towards the top end and I put that down to the difference in fuel? Ever since I try and continue to fill at the same station.

For sure some mix on site. It’s very common in the USA, less so here. All the big brand 97/99 octane options should be tankered in as pre mixed at least.

Reactions: AudiNutta
This is almost as daft as the E85 thread.

Bonkers.

Reactions: billymc92

Bonkers.
You can blame the lure of the recently released APR tunes which obviously bamboozled people with the big remap gains when using the commonly available E85 fuel that they have in the states. Now everyone thinks they need to use E85 or another high octane derivative regardless as to whether or not their car is set up to use it.
Meanwhile, back in the real world where a significant proportion of the forum members run their cars on 99RON fuel, the stage 1 remap numbers and 1/4 mile results between APR, MRC or REVO are surprisingly similar/close. If I had to pick one, I probably say that APR are rocking it right now.

So unless you are a street racer craving for a performance edge (yeah right!) or a drag strip enthusiast looking for those vital tenths, you gotta ask yourself why go to all the trouble, inconvenience and cost of putting very high octane fuel in my car when a stage 1 map from any of the above named tuners will already make your car seriously fast on readily available 99ron fuel.

Reactions: AudiNutta, NevMan and T-800
I love the APR stage 1

I’m one of those guys that want to go to a drag strip and add 109 or e85

For info I dyno’d the APR 102 map on 99 with some octane booster and worked perfectly

I’ve tried on the road too with no timing pull/Knock

I think the 99 tune is quite safe and the 102 is same boost but little more timing and as long as you monitor you can runs 102 file

My advice to anyone is just buy octane booster for about 15£ a bottle and add half to a full tank. Your car will just run sweeter and pull no timing I’ve done this for years not for times/power more for the protection of knock when tracking, racing, dragging

I love the APR stage 1

I’m one of those guys that want to go to a drag strip and add 109 or e85

For info I dyno’d the APR 102 map on 99 with some octane booster and worked perfectly

I’ve tried on the road too with no timing pull/Knock

I think the 99 tune is quite safe and the 102 is same boost but little more timing and as long as you monitor you can runs 102 file

My advice to anyone is just buy octane booster for about 15£ a bottle and add half to a full tank. Your car will just run sweeter and pull no timing I’ve done this for years not for times/power more for the protection of knock when tracking, racing, dragging

I think your suggestion of the odd tipple of a bottle of octane booster every now and then may provide the 'fix' or perhaps cure the curiosity as to whether it will make the car faster (some will be disappointed).
My response was really aimed at the emerging switchable map scene and the availability (or lack of it from local pumps) of higher octane fuels such as the 102 mentioned in this thread and even E85 in many countries. I also don't believe that people fully understand whats involved with changing fuels..........and are they willing to travel much greater distances and/or pay a lot of money compared to their normal cost of a fill up.

I think many do understand and if not can be School’d and many do want from my experience and talks at events with many. Maybe I’m a little different to the masses I’m not sure. But anyway I think it’s great and the more options are great and I feel it’s great value 4 maps for price of 1

Also I’m used to traveling for fuel my nearest 99 is 30 miles

Octane booster works and I’ve seen proven on the dyno back to back on cars. I’ve ran on crossers and karts and jet skis it’s really does help to on higher Tuned motors.

I think many do understand and if not can be School’d and many do want from my experience and talks at events with many. Maybe I’m a little different to the masses I’m not sure. But anyway I think it’s great and the more options are great and I feel it’s great value 4 maps for price of 1

Also I’m used to traveling for fuel my nearest 99 is 30 miles

Octane booster works and I’ve seen proven on the dyno back to back on cars. I’ve ran on crossers and karts and jet skis it’s really does help to on higher Tuned motors.

Hi Si,
Yep a bottle of octane booster works (NF seems to be popular) if the ECU can adapt or the map you are running has the timing scope. But what power gains are you seeing on a car such as an RS3 when adding a bottle of octane booster with no maps tweaks - between 8 to 12ps on a tuned car maybe? Note: I am referring to the stuff you tip into your tank to boost the octane rating of your fuel - not Sunoco or E85.

If you put two identical cars side by side, one with a bottle of octane booster in the tank and one normal fuel, with such a small increase in power I would be surprised if an average person's 'bum dyno' could tell the difference in performance between the two ...... which is why I suggested that some people would be disappointed.

Going back to the OP's question, I would be interested to see if he can actually feel significant gains for his £3.33 per litre of 102 octane fuel. If he is already running a good quality 99RON (Shell V-power or Tesco Momentum) at an average of £1.30 to £1.40 litre then the 102 had better be pretty spectacular at that price!:smile new:

Reactions: AudiNutta and TTE Si
Yeah sure it’s not a magic bottle and your feel like been remapped lol. But as said it will up your octane rating and offer better knock protection and if like me with APR Software you can switch to 102 map and gain 10+ hp and some torque gains.

102 will be same as 99 with half a bottle of NF.. just will run cleaner/sweeter

Bonkers.

I'll say! £3.33 a litre?!
Mind you, its headed this way here - we are having cross words with our local supermarket for raising their price to 66 cents/litre last Friday. Outrageous!

Reactions: AudiNutta
My response was really aimed at the emerging switchable map scene and the availability (or lack of it from local pumps) of higher octane fuels such as the 102 mentioned in this thread and even E85 in many countries. I also don't believe that people fully understand whats involved with changing fuels..........and are they willing to travel much greater distances and/or pay a lot of money compared to their normal cost of a fill up.

Forget the switchable map scene, many [most?] cars now (not the RS3 though:cry:) are coming out with the flex option - so no switching or thinking involved!

OK Siverstone has one pump aimed at trackday visitors where a fossil fuel supplier is raking in a profit - maybe, but is it not quite amazing that the UK is one of the few countries in developed Europe that does not have E85 readily available for its main intention - emission and cost reductions?

Having said that, there is an outcry here that the EU have a new Energy Directive turning back the production of ethanol fuels after 2020 despite the 60% lower emissions - but such is the power of the fossil fuel lobby!