Anyone got a 2017 car or newer?

This would not be the first time they have pulled this trick. I bought a new Mazda 3 Mps in 2007 and the road was at the time around £140 the next year, they introduced the 4x4 tax although it was also linked to Co2 and I didn’t own a 4x4 I thought I was safe, wrong. The following year it increased to £250 and in 2009 it jumped to £460, my Mazda was basically worthless. Just look at it as an envy tax.

Retrospective tax hikes like this really **** me off. There will be a big duty hole to plug for the EV sales so revenue needs to be clawed back somehow. We'll have to see how measures like this pan out.... Cheery reading.

I get it, to a certain degree, but the levels of which have been suggested are nothing short of robbery! I mean I didn’t like paying 465 this year but comes hand in hand with the type of car, but close on 2k is a ******* disgrace. End of.

This is a serious pisstake from a conservative government... the sort of "green" nonsense I'd expect from the left. Countries like Ireland and the Netherlands have taxes this high on performance cars and it's make them unattainable by most people to a point that cars like RS'S, AMG's and M's and even being sold (new) in some European markets. Bad enough we won't be able to buy petrol cars after 2035 and they will destroy the resale on a lot of ourcars, but 2k in tax a year is absolute theft from us and does nothing to "save" the planet.

The thing nobody appears to be concerned about in government is this. Where do they think all the lithium is going to come from to power all these lifesaving electric vehicles. All it appears to take to convince the masses is that corporate thunberg puppet screaming "You stole my future!" and everyone is on board with the next narrative.
Here's an article on the green friendly lithium for the new car batteries:
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact
Yes petrol is in need of a change but this panic reaction to everything needs to stop if we are to move forward efficiently.

Glad I have my £20 a year tax run around. RS3 will be off the road for more of the year if/when this comes in :frown new:

Never get away with it for cars already bought. Perhaps for new cars bought after they implement it but it will be the death knell for all performance cars not EV.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dan_DJT
From what I understand of it, it's only the first year that might be over £2k, years 2 - 6 are £465 (if it has a list value over £40k) and then it's down to the standard £145 across the board...so not much change really.

From what I understand of it, it's only the first year that might be over £2k, years 2 - 6 are £465 (if it has a list value over £40k) and then it's down to the standard £145 across the board...so not much change really.

Then you understand wrong on the new proposed VED = Road Tax changes for (yes it may be backdated from April 2017->) new cars. Outrageous.

It clearly states in the article that the initial first year bill could be charged annually

In the EVO article yes, but from the gov's own website suggests an increase of........£5. But it also mentions elsewhere that it might go up 34% which would make it roughly £200 a year.

And still drive around on roads that would even break the suspension on a tank.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LaRocK, sve170 and 123Quattro