Anyone got a spare Avant bootlid solenoid/actuator.....

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
.....knocking around. I think mine needs replacing. Works 9 times out of 10 then just gets stuck

How funny make that 3 mine messed about for the first time this morning I dissected it but couldn't get the little motor out to clean the brushes as its fixed (soldered) in situe on a plus side after looking into it there very cheap to buy new any how.

I think this is the part number as used by others carrying out the repair 8E5962115B

Mine has Part # ZSB 4B9 962 115 B printed on it???

I'll be ordering one in the morning,

I'll just give them my chassis number and get them to supply off that and I'll post back the part number they give me, part numbers are some times superseded so there's no telling what it currently is so I'll let you know what they give me tomorrow.

Well after calling TPS Monday morning I was expecting it to cost around £12 after seeing what others had previously paid but even at trade cost TPS wanted £33 plus vat so £39 all in.

So thought I'd give something a try before parting with my cash, I had at home a few door lock solenoids from a previous project and set to work at fitting one in replacement to the stock solenoid and it works perfectly.

The solenoid I originally picked up from Maplins for £7.99 so nearly a 5th of the cost of a new OEM one and all I had to do is drill 2 4mm holes to mount the solenoid and connect up the 2 wires took 20mins to fit, job done.

Solenoid I used (ignore the box in my pics when I packed them all away last time i put it back in the wrong box it's the 2 wire not 5) :

2 Wire Door Lock Motor : Vehicle Security : Maplin Electronics

couple of pics:

old set up:

new one fitted:

In your last picture it looks like the fitting of the rod to the solenoid is a little insecure, is it just the picture? I think id be tempted to add locktite on those screws to prevent vibration, or could you not simply hook the rod into the hope ontop of the new solenoid?

Looks a clever mod and saves the pennies, and easy/cheap to replace when the cheap one breaks too.

In your last picture it looks like the fitting of the rod to the solenoid is a little insecure, is it just the picture? I think id be tempted to add locktite on those screws to prevent vibration, or could you not simply hook the rod into the hope ontop of the new solenoid?

Looks a clever mod and saves the pennies, and easy/cheap to replace when the cheap one breaks too.

Was going to hook it through the solenoid loop but the rod needed to be twisted 90 degrees but had no decent tools at home, I gave it a try with pliers and it was just deforming the rod so stuck with the clamp it comes with and its very well secured used these solenoids many times and never had a problem with them coming loose.