Anyone had their engine carbon cleaned?

jord9412

Reaction score
Have anyone of you guys had your cars carbon/terra cleaned? Was thinking about getting it done on my 2.0t. If you have had it done could you notice a difference after it and was it worth it? Saw Ed China having it done on a jag on wheeler dealers so i thought id ask around here to see if any of you have had any experience with it.

I can get it done for about £130 with terra clean but not sure if it would be worth it or not.

Hi ya, I'm having my inlet tract/valves walnut blasted this week.

Which is worth doing on a TFSI, because of the heavy carbon deposits caused by the direct injection.

It's not Terraclean though, I think that's a different process.

My manifold was set on fire with petrol a few years back to remove the build up... not quite the same but I'm very interested in getting mine terra cleaned at some point as allot of people say good things about it.

i had a quote to get my terra cleaned last year , the garage said the tfsi engines need to be done in two stages and cost around £200 and had good results but then looking more indepth the overall views were that it had only a marginal effect with limited improvement overall, decided against it in the end and looked at a more indepth decoke later on.

Waste of time. Speak to any reputable company that tunes tfsi's and they tell you what a waste it is.

Only way to clean the carbon off is either blasting or soak and using pics etc.

Reactions: Baka
Waste of time. Speak to any reputable company that tunes tfsi's and they tell you what a waste it is.

Only way to clean the carbon off is either blasting or soak and using pics etc.
Thats basically what i was reading online too it seems theres a 50/50 split on people saying its well worth it or people saying its a waste of money. Ill hold off on it for now.

Just been looking at this.
The Engine Carbon Clean system works by using hydrogen and oxygen which pass through the air intake of an engine and out through the exhaust system as a gas.

A company by me is offering 2 cars for £80.

Just been looking at this.
The Engine Carbon Clean system works by using hydrogen and oxygen which pass through the air intake of an engine and out through the exhaust system as a gas.

A company by me is offering 2 cars for £80.
The terra clean one i was thinking of getting done cleans the injectors and inlet manifold too.

https://www.terraclean.co.uk/how-terraclean-works

seems like they use their own fuel as well as the gas.

Terraclean uses a fuel additive that run's through the fuel system.
The one I looked at put's the gas through air intake system.

As the previous owner of my car put new injectors in the car 6 months ago I'd prefer to go down the air intake system.

Guys I wouldn't bother.

Google tfsi carbon clean. All it does is make the carbon sticky and doesn't remove it.

Reactions: jord9412
Just want to say after more research Dani is right. I was speaking to someone who runs a garage and he told me the 2.0t has direct injection so something just like terra clean is pretty pointless to do.

Thanks.

Even the carbon clean which they pump through the intake manifold is *****.

That's what they use on the tfsi due to it been direct port injection.

Best thing for these engines is to have the valves walnut blasted, carb cleaner the intake manifold and either delete the pcv system or run a catch can.

3 of us are going to have it done Saturday morning.
my 3.0 tdi A4, 2.0tdi A4 B8, 2.5tdi transporter.
Did a deal to do all cars for £120, so for £40 a car it's worth seeing if it makes any difference.

So had it done Saturday morning along with a friends 2.0tdi b8.
Took around 40mins per car.
Car is definitely more responsive after.
It will be interesting to see the emissions test next month and compare to last year's.

all oil burners then, no feedback for us petrol drinkers .....I don't think there is any improvement to use tfsi owners.

Take your egr valve off, I bet it's still coaked up in ****.

Can't be ***** to do that.
Emissions test will be interesting tho.
It's not a magic fix, just a service procedure.
As for petrol tsfi's, I found a good test with the 4.2, guy dynoed at 312bhp, didn't move car from dyno, carbon cleaned and ran again. 333bhp.

I'll try and find the link.

Reactions: DieselJake