Anyone had this driveshaft issue?

evans1089

Reaction score
Website
www.akbryanmoulds.co.uk
So Thursday night my a4 avant decided to break. Turned left in second gear and a massive bang followed my lots of rattling. I thought I blew gearbox somehow. Can't describe the noise but it was loud!

I pulled up straight away. I had No drive, in any gears. Just massive rattling noises if I tried to move in gear.

Called the AA. Found the front passenger driveshaft had fell off. Sheared two bolts, caught two on top of the sump guard and lost two on the road somewhere.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but these bolts should not work their way loose? Maybe if I had a new clutch in for example. But shearing two and two other bolts where fine? Strange.

Any suggestions?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425674108824731

No, but there was a recall for a diff bearing for some VINs, maybe that was done and they missed out torquing up the screws?

Doesn't the driveshaft have to be removed to allow access to remove the wheel bearing hub carrier screws? If you've had a new wheel bearing maybe this has caused the problem. How long along did you have the bearing done?

Doesn't the driveshaft have to be removed to allow access to remove the wheel bearing hub carrier screws? If you've had a new wheel bearing maybe this has caused the problem. How long along did you have the bearing done?
It was on Monday. Does anyone have auto data to confirm the process of changing a wheel bearing?