Anyone hardwired a dashcam yet (with parking monitor feature)

KXL

Reaction score
As the thread suggests, has anyone done this either themselves or professionally yet? Did it make the electrical gremlins worse, or there's nothing that can make this gremlins worse? Haha...

Mid process of wiring mine in, i'll let you know which fuse location i'll use

Reactions: MA3RC
Mid process of wiring mine in, i'll let you know which fuse location i'll use
Thank you, also once done could you let me know which dashcam you got (I'm dizzy alreayd looking at the different dash cams)

I'm not sure if the 8Y is subject to it, but on some cars the dashcam can interfere with DAB radio. Fingers crossed it's not the case.

Thank you, also once done could you let me know which dashcam you got (I'm dizzy alreayd looking at the different dash cams)

I have the Garmin 65w (i think). I had it installed in my previous car. I wasnt bothered about not being able to record from the rear). I also wanted it to be small. The mounting type was also an option as some require you to stick the mounting plate on the windscreen and I didint want that. The garmin has a suction type mount as an extra option.

WIth the wife's car i went with the Nextbase, a little bit bigger in size but you do (or did) get the two different types of mount in the box.

I’ve a BlackVue front and rear . Currently just plugged into the 12v socket so no parking record. Im also wondering about wiring it to the fuse box but don’t want it to cause problems so I’ll stick as is for the time being

Reactions: Pinkhammer69
I have a Garmin 55. I bought it intending to hardwire it myself, but had to take my S3 into Audi Epsom for a check-up on some faults anyway so I asked them to fit it for me. They explained they don't fit dash cams as a standard service, but they do have an approved brand list that they're allowed to work with and Garmin is one of them.

I haven't noticed any new problems post-fitting. All the software errors I've been experiencing were present before the dash cam was fitted and are still present now (different issue entirely). I don't have the parking monitor feature on at the moment, but I did initially. Only turned it off because the car is parked on my drive so the dash cam is constantly catching useless footage.

I’ve a BlackVue front and rear . Currently just plugged into the 12v socket so no parking record. Im also wondering about wiring it to the fuse box but don’t want it to cause problems so I’ll stick as is for the time being
No problems, I've had mine hardwired for a few months now - just never got round to editing the video! Maybe this week

Reactions: Pinkhammer69
Finally finished hard wiring the dash cam today.

I used trim tools to gentle prise the roof trim so that I could push the wire behind it, I also used this technique for the A pillar.

Using the fuse box behind the glovebox I found 2 locations that didn't have any fuses, but upon testing I found a switched source (so 12V only when ignition is on), and a perm 12V. I needed these two for the hard wire kit that i have. The 2 fuse locations were 22 (perm 12v) and 63 (12V Acc), both were the mini size of blade fuses. I used the piggy back fuse adapters. I didn't have any fuses in these locations and they weren't listed in the manual, so gingers crossed these are ok.

Reactions: Ben E and Pinkhammer69
Some pics

Attachments

• fuse interior.JPG
    fuse interior.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 713
  • 20210718_132636.jpg
    20210718_132636.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 640
  • 20210718_134153.jpg
    20210718_134153.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 579
Reactions: chevy117 and MA3RC
Its open under sterring wheel. On right at very bottom
Ah, they are smartly placed on the A3, in my previous car, I had to open a panel (oh what an ugly panel it was) and it looked like I was trying to steal a car by hotwiring it.

yeah I got camera with that obd cable if you want model number let me know its much better use obd port then that crazy fuse or 12v socket

I guess if the dashcam didnt come with an OBD to Mini-USB power adaptor I can always just buy one off amazon, and these should work. Anyone who has been using parking mode caused the car battery to go completely flat yet?

I hardwired the Garmin 66w dashcam with the parking cable. No issues so far.

Hi,

Thanks for your post helped alot. Just struggling to find a ground. I tried the black bolt above the fuse box but got no joy.
Off the top of my head it wasnt a black bolt, you should see a silver bolt which is one of the mounting bolts used for the dash.

Reactions: ElDingo
In the end I got myself a Nextbase 322GW, which had 'parking mode' without the need for hardwire. It has a small internal battery good for 15 mins worth of function or about 2 weeks (if fully charged) worth of parking cover. It is quite sensitive though, and gust of wind rocks the car and it turns itself on and records for 30 secs.

In the end I got myself a Nextbase 322GW, which had 'parking mode' without the need for hardwire. It has a small internal battery good for 15 mins worth of function or about 2 weeks (if fully charged) worth of parking cover. It is quite sensitive though, and gust of wind rocks the car and it turns itself on and records for 30 secs.
Can't be too careful I suppose, would rather that than it not pick up an incident

I left mine record for 72 hrs and no battery issues resulted .

You absolutely have to record notorious car parks .

2020 05 03 101619

Can't be too careful I suppose, would rather that than it not pick up an incident
Yup, luckily I know the two that park on either side of me at my home car park, so they park socially distanced from me (eg...it's impossible to hit the other's car as we can't reach each other's cars even if the door was open at it's widest setting). I have turned the G-meter down though, from high to low, as previously, any speed hump or 'enthusiatic' driving would trigger it and 'protect' the 2-3 min file from erasing. Now only really hard braking and 'unseen' speed humps would trigger it.

Some pics
@twiggytheninja Have you had any issues with your dashcam since fitting?? I know you said the fuses you used weren't listed in the manual and that scares me :grief:

I'll be collecting my car soon and my dashcam requires a switched and constant live like yours.

I've been trying to figure out what the best live fuse would be.

I've found on the 8V forum that people have used the "Control unit for four wheel drive", seems to work for cars without Quattro like mine will be.
Or I thought about piggy backing off of the MMI as that powers up without the ignition.

Has anyone else found some constant live fuses that would be suitable for a dashcam?

Thanks!

@twiggytheninja Have you had any issues with your dashcam since fitting?? I know you said the fuses you used weren't listed in the manual and that scares me :grief:

I'll be collecting my car soon and my dashcam requires a switched and constant live like yours.

I've been trying to figure out what the best live fuse would be.

I've found on the 8V forum that people have used the "Control unit for four wheel drive", seems to work for cars without Quattro like mine will be.
Or I thought about piggy backing off of the MMI as that powers up without the ignition.

Has anyone else found some constant live fuses that would be suitable for a dashcam?

Thanks!
Not had any issues with the fuse locations i used and they weren't any fuses in them to begin with (and I checked for both constant 12v and switched feeds).

The only issue that i have, is I used the suction mount (separate purchase) for the Garmin dashcam, and it does fall off occasionally, as per a nice theft notification on the myaudi app. But my wife's nextbase uses the suction mount and that hardly ever falls off.

i got blackvue where you can connect it to obd port instead of fuse
How long do you get recording after you have switched the car off and locked please? I Drive my car 1 hr each way and the odb port shuts the camera down within 30 mins. Pointless having a sim car in the camera if it has no power. Might have to invest in a blackvue battery pack.

Not had any issues with the fuse locations i used and they weren't any fuses in them to begin with (and I checked for both constant 12v and switched feeds).

The only issue that i have, is I used the suction mount (separate purchase) for the Garmin dashcam, and it does fall off occasionally, as per a nice theft notification on the myaudi app. But my wife's nextbase uses the suction mount and that hardly ever falls off.
That’s great to hear! Thanks for the update :thumbs up:

I fitted my dashcam this evening. As you say those fuses work. Thanks again. I was cursing at first though as I couldn’t get a decent ground connection from the bolt in the glovebox. I had to pull the side of the glovebox off and add a nut to an existing bolt.

I fitted my dashcam this evening. As you say those fuses work. Thanks again. I was cursing at first though as I couldn’t get a decent ground connection from the bolt in the glovebox. I had to pull the side of the glovebox off and add a nut to an existing bolt.

Likewise - I wasn't able to find a ground easily at all. The bolts which I used for my 8V don't work in the 8Y. At the moment the ground is connected to a bolt with some electrical tape whilst I try and find a nut that fits (no idea where to start to be honest. Hardware store maybe...?)

I've been looking at these for when I collect

They just clip onto the back of your mirror unit and plug in there
961742b4ac2d06fd54114ee13c9c2fba.jpg
0077f61172de769a8b8b7e496525deb2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I've been looking at these for when I collect

They just clip onto the back of your mirror unit and plug in there
961742b4ac2d06fd54114ee13c9c2fba.jpg
0077f61172de769a8b8b7e496525deb2.jpg

Looks smart! But no option of a rear camera?

Reactions: JustLulu
Looks smart! But no option of a rear camera?
Yes it's a little one that comes with it like below . I can't deal with stuff in my eyeline so been looking for one that is out the way

These aren't the exact pictures I just googled quickly
d9473d29a8836f5ca4c4a725ef7bfaf6.jpg

Reactions: MA3RC