Q5 Anyone notice the Q5 just doesn’t accelerate when you want it to?

Leebroath

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We have a Q5 S-line 2016 and at times when sitting at (for example) a roundabout, when I push my foot to the accelerator it takes a 2-3 seconds to engage and decide to move, this is when you need the power but it lets you down

Does anyone know why this is? We are normally in Eco mode but I’m pretty sure it still happens in Dynamic

Its like there’s a delay when the foot pedal is pushed down for the car to then realise I do want to go now, and why they hell is it not moving when I want it to haha

is there a way to sort this out, I’m presuming the SQ motors don’t have this issue

discussed on Audi World as lag after coming to a stop - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5.../q5-acceleration-lag-does-bother-you-2935540/

Last edited:
Eco mode will most certainly make it worse.
There were similar complaints about the tdi a6 and most used dynamic mode to over come the laggy throttle. (Knock it into dynamic when coming to roundabouts)
A pedal box goes a step further and makes the throttle very sensitive

Last edited:
I have a Q2 and in normal mode, it is so slow to pick up that I almost have to push my pedal right to the floor. However, in "S" mode it is very very responsive. I have driven other cars with the S-Tronic or DSG and it was the same. You can get the gearbox re-mapped so it improves the pickup and most say its worth it.

Ok doesn't the Dynamic mode burn through much more fuel, I presume as it also lifts the Revs does it not?

I could stick it in Dynamic all the time, does anyone else do this?

How much does it cost for the re-mapping of the Gearbox? Does this not mess with everything though (sorry never re-mapped)

I could stick it in Dynamic all the time, does anyone else do this?

YES!!! Our 2016 326bhp 650Nm SQ5 is in "Dynamic" ALL!!!!! of the time.

OK, I have from an engineering/technical perspective 'evaluated' over same route in different driving 'modes' but find minimal improvement in mpg.

The difference in pedal 'response' however is is enormous!!!

So Dynamic ALL the time for me/us and 'flappy-paddle' override as and when needed/wanted for acceleration(!!!), for me/us! Why else would you buy a 2016 SQ5? Might as well but the 2019 version... :sadlike:

I generally/maybe use the 'sport' mode 'around town' but find away-from-town that the 'flappy-paddle' over-ride suits my, now an OAP of 74-years (LOL) driving style more, much more!

I call it my GRETTA mode...
7072.gif

Re-map: I wouldn't, just drive the darn thing harder as and when you can which, on today's UK roads, just isn't often enough

PS: My overall mpg is 30 and that involves a 12-mile journey to and a 12-mile journey back with sometimes a 6-hour stay; virtually no journey these days exceeds that, and still with 30mpg!

Oh, and we don't get overtaken much... Go 'DYNAMIC' and enjoy - while you still can... :racer:

Last edited:
Reactions: paul wev
I do not have Drive Select so I put her in to “S” mode instead of “D” mode.

Do not forget that if you do not re-select Dynamic mode each time you start the engine then you effectively are back in Auto mode and not Dynamic. This is widely known and a safety “feature”! It may state dynamic but it actually isn’t until you reselect it.

Also, if you search my posts then I took a few photos and so on of driving in my A3 with dynamic and eco enabled. Eco uses more fuel due to the time it took to get up to speed. Plenty on this is you search the forum.

Reactions: Leebroath and paul wev
It's a feature of S-Tronic transmissions that you have to learn to manage - the trick is to get on the throttle a moment earlier than you would in a conventional vehicle. The reason being that the S-Tronic transmission has a multi-plate clutch in place of a torque converter and it needs a fraction of a second to close and drive to recommence when you pull away. I've found the lag effect more noticeable in my wife's 125PS 1.4 TFSI A1 and than in the utterly mental 367PS RSQ3.

You can try driving in 'S' mode however SWMBO in the passenger seat glowers menacingly at one and ECO mode is out the window too.:yahoo:

Reactions: Leebroath and 45bvtc
It's a feature of S-Tronic transmissions that you have to learn to manage - the trick is to get on the throttle a moment earlier than you would in a conventional vehicle. The reason being that the S-Tronic transmission has a multi-plate clutch in place of a torque converter and it needs a fraction of a second to close and drive to recommence when you pull away. I've found the lag effect more noticeable in my wife's 125PS 1.4 TFSI A1 and than in the utterly mental 367PS RSQ3.

You can try driving in 'S' mode however SWMBO in the passenger seat glowers menacingly at one and ECO mode is out the window too.:yahoo:

You needed our 185bhp 7-speed DSG supercharged/turbocharged flappy paddle A1 for a few weeks, what a laugh.....

BLUEY and SUZY

What us OAP's get up to these days, tsk... :friends:

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ and cosmicblue
So let me get my head around this.
If you press a button, your car does jack Diddley for a few seconds.
Press another button and it's like a scalextric?
Hmmm.
Is there a 'normal' button?
I just don't get this pre determined button random nudge automated gamble shizzle if it's a ball ache to live with.
Less whistles, less bells for the win please