Anyone painted their brake calipers?

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
If so, how did you prepare the calipers, what paint did you use and did you undercoat first?

use brake cleaner to clean all the dirt off the calipers, and a wire brush is a good diea. Then i find the best paint to use just ordinary hammerite.

Rich

might sound stupid, lol, did you take calipers off to do it or is it something that can be done in sittue?

My calipers are brand new so they are in my house. I think you would probably need a heat gun to help the paint dry quicker if they are on the car and the vehicle is your daily driver.

I used a foliatec caliper paint kit which inlcudes the caliper cleaner.
I used the car jack and did one caliper at a time.
However I did three coatings so I had to remove each wheel three times...

I highly recommend the foliatec kit

I painted mine just before christmas, I did it around the time I changes the discs and pads so everything got a ****** good clean with brake cleaner and a selection of wire brushes.

I was going to just use any old paint then decided if it was worth doing... blah blah so bought the 2 pack foilatec paint and it worked a treat and I needed to drive the car within the 24 hours they state and it's fine - well worth doing too in my opinion I got fed up with the rear calipers looking white.

I did one side of the car at a time with two coats and I still have enough left to do another in the summer when it's less cold outside and didn't bother taking the calipers off just used a bit of masking tape over the bleed valve etc.

only the Foliatec kit.
done mine 2 times allready.
if you want the paint to be on your calipers after a hard stop from 200km/h you MUST take them off and spent twice the time for painting for cleaning them. then you must aply 3 layers of paint. I have some pictures of my operation but don't know how to show them.

[ QUOTE ]
only the Foliatec kit.
done mine 2 times allready.
if you want the paint to be on your calipers after a hard stop from 200km/h you MUST take them off and spent twice the time for painting for cleaning them. then you must aply 3 layers of paint. I have some pictures of my operation but don't know how to show them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry don't agree with that at all, I've read loads of reports even people who have used normal car paint (this was when I was deciding how to do it) that have had no problems what so ever after track days etc. Also there is no need to take the caliper off, most people only want to paint the areas that are seen and a bit more and it makes it a much bigger paint if it's a caliper off job! You just need to make sure they are clean, clean, clean or you will have problems.

anyone in need of decals for calipers let me know....any colour...any name/logo...

[ QUOTE ]
anyone in need of decals for calipers let me know....any colour...any name/logo...

[/ QUOTE ]

How much for a set? Are they just stickers?

[ QUOTE ]
Oh please...don't go putting Brembo or Porsche logos on...that would be sadder than a big fat sad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if I would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Was thinking about some Audi logos.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh please...don't go putting Brembo or Porsche logos on...that would be sadder than a big fat sad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if I would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Was thinking about some Audi logos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope sorry, if they're the same as the ones I've seen on ebay and the tt shop they look crap too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nope sorry, if they're the same as the ones I've seen on ebay and the tt shop they look crap too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The man speak the truth!!

If you want to do it and make it last, there's only one way to paint metal. Degrease, gritblast, and washdown. Calipers off I'm afraid.You'll also need a proper heat resilliant paint.

Or hammerite if you're not too bothered!

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to do it and make it last, there's only one way to paint metal. Degrease, gritblast, and washdown. Calipers off I'm afraid.You'll also need a proper heat resilliant paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or powder coat them...

if you paint them with hammerite, do you need to undercoat them?

[ QUOTE ]
if you paint them with hammerite, do you need to undercoat them?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't.
I did mine with black hammerite well over a year ago and they still look fine now. A said previously - i put on a few coats. Jacked each end of the car up and put it on axle stands so i caould do 2 at a time.