Anyone put a light bar on their b9 yet ?

Spearo

Reaction score
Seriously considering adding a light bar to the S4 for a more illumination and because I quite like the utility sports wagon type look!

So has anyone done anything yet - I’m unsure yet if it’ll be roof rack mounted, number plate mounted or stealth mounted behind the grill...

Attachments

• A1326907-6859-4D0E-A007-F7AA34817109.jpeg
    A1326907-6859-4D0E-A007-F7AA34817109.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,693
God no, why oh why turn it into some sort of agricultural machinery...

Unlike some of us who spend their lives nannying their cars, looking at them lovingly through the window, I actually like to spend my days and nights driving mine through rain, wind and a particular favourite of mine - sideways in the snow ! Extra light is always useful regardless of how agricultural it may or may not look !

Reactions: tickedon and Alnicopro
If you spec the matrix headlights you will not be disappointed. The led bar will be redundant.

Oh I have matrix already!
I’m talking about next level “agricultural” light ;-)

I really don't see the point to be honest. The matrix lights are as good as you could ever need on a dark road, I can't see a light bar adding much apart from blinding other drivers to be honest.

Plus if you are drifting surely you should side mount it haha. But each to there own I suppose.

Reactions: CHEZ
You guys might not see the point but many nations and I do. Go to Scandinavia, go to canada and see the difference- you’ll hardly see a car, modern or otherwise without additional lighting!
I’m not talking about a light bar thats to be used for pootling around town or when other drivers are even on the road but I’m talking about something that lights dark country lanes, remote car parks , forest tracks and places that my work and recreation activities take me and the S4 regularly!
As for most light bars - they aren’t spot lights, they are mega diffuse and throw light almost sideways- which is why a roof mount position would be preferable.
I understand that you guys don’t use their cars as I do so I don’t expect you to appreciate my requirements, but neither was asking for your approval- simply asking if anyone else had done anything similar

Think you already have the answers form the posts above, very few Audi owners will be doing what your doing, over the 12 years that I've been on Audi forums the only lighting questions was the best way to upgrade the halogen headlights! Try a dedicated off-road forum you should get more of the positive answers you are looking for.

Reactions: tickedon
You do what you want, I was just saying that the matrix lights really do light the road plenty on a 'dark country lane' which I drive daily to work and I've never thought that more was required is all I'm saying.

I wouldn't use other vehicles in the US and Canada as a good example as they do some seriously stupid stuff to their cars...

Reactions: tickedon and RAF_S7
I don’t think many off road enthusiasts are going to using their S4 for their hobby and for that matter neither am I

Interesting that Americans are wrong but Scandinavians aren’t! FYI I spend a month in February in Finland each year and next year the S4 will do the 5000 mile round trip.... so yes lights at a level way beyond matrix is almost mandatory there .... ( matrix are cleaver but definitely not the best/ most effective car headlight I’ve ever used )

I’m sure many of you think I’m bastardising my car fitting a light bar - but as I said it’s function over form for me, so if anyone does have anything positive to contribute then I’d be glad to hear from you

So, what are the best headlights you've used fitted to a car, just out of curiosity? Just because I find the matrix to be the best I've had the pleasure of using. :)

Reactions: A12RNX
Fair enough point taken. I would love to see a before and after picture of the area you are trying to light up with the matrix lights and with the addition on the led bar.

Reactions: Daggerit
Out here SUV & 4x4 sales kill sedans & wagons, but hey detest SUV's. I know snow/ice racing is serious stuff. Your S4 so go enjoy.
I take it you have an Avant. The number of lights & angling would easily determine if behind the grille is realistic. That requires removal of the entire front apron and there ain't much room in there.
Perhaps you could ask the same on Audizine US or Audiworld US forums. Agreed they do some extreme stuff, but that can be excellent research on what is brilliant and what not to do. Also research any Scandinavian Audi forums for info.

Curious, where is the S4 based? Europe & Nth America, that is serious ship fees.

Trivia - drove an Audi Q8 last night. Yes, its a SUV. 55 TFSI, a mild-hybrid version of our S4. Drove OK. <4oomls, so brand new. Basic ergonomics very similar to the S4, so no problem in becoming acquainted to operate. The electronics & dash were w-a-y too much for me. I barely use S4 MMI now.
Costs less than a RS4. Q8 fun factor = <nil, so no thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: tickedon
I would undoubtedly say the jdm Subaru Legacy GT is better than the matrix. It might only be HID with projector, but the full beam punch those lights pack was awesome! Yeah, they aren’t smart and have to rely on a driver to activate them but they really illuminate things down the road in a far superior way to the led technology.
Don’t get me wrong matrix is great with its dancing beam pattern and tracking oncoming vehicles but in my opinion, the quality of actual light provided by the matrix units is lacking - still grey, still with some dark spots and just not enough down range punch.... my opinion tho!

And of course when I get a bar sorted
I’ll oblige with a before and after pic !

Reactions: A12RNX
Last vehicle we had was a '08 Gen IV Subaru Liberty/Legacy "Tuned by STi" turbo wagon. It had Bi-Xenon high/low beam lights standard. Fitted HID's to the inside driving lights. The lighting was very powerful, but, because the OEM's & driving HID's were in the same casing, one could not adjust the driving HID's, as the Bi-Xenon high/low beam adjustment was controlled by the self-leveling sensors required by law.
Best lighting ever was in a Mazda RX3. Had adjustable quad round lights fitted with obligatory (for that time) Hella H4 high/low beam, but small aircraft landing lights in the driving light mounts. The lighting & range was unbelievable!! Ahh, memories of the simple good 'ol days.

Please have one like the original picture and make it do knight rider patterns

knight-rider

Reactions: tickedon, Terminator x and CHEZ
Or buy the right vehicle for the right job:
1008dp 02dakar rally kamaz dakar t4 raceair time

Reactions: tickedon, chrisj75, CHEZ and 1 other person
I’m talking about something that lights...…….remote car parks, forest tracks and places that my …...recreation activities take me and the S4 regularly!
The danger of selective reading :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

On a serious note though, I'd love to find a way of lighting behind the car when reversing. The B9 lights up the front great, but is probably the worst car I've had for reversing in the dark. Maybe convert the rear fogs to clear, though a bit awkward for others when it's foggy!

Yes there is something about wanting to illuminate car parks for recreational activities that might be seen as somewhat 'dodgy'.
Or prhaps the op is trying to communicate with something extraterrestrial ;-)
Screenshot lrg 05

Takes me back to the days of wanting a row of KC daylighter spots on my front grille!

What ever makes you happy - your car, your way!

Reactions: Kev57 and cuke2u
Takes me back to the days of wanting a row of KC daylighter spots on my front grille!

What ever makes you happy - your car, your way!
Cibie all day long, or should that be night :grinning:

Reactions: Keef
Grab the popcorn and watch this development ........ hopefully spearo has a firm understanding of CANBUS technology because the days of using simple relays in parallel to exisiting lighting circuits have long since passed. Here's a shot to show how I added a Rigid Industries lightbar in a more sane and aesthetic manner to a RSQ3's main beam and, by the way.....no the front section/apron did not need to be removed. Physical installation was the easy bit; decoding the CANBUS and then coding a CANBUS reader was a far greater challenge. Did the same to my SQ5 but have absolutely no intentions of doing the same with the S4 as it would be incompatible with Matrix and completely unnecessary .
IMG 0832

Reactions: Keef
as above the matrix lights are unbelievable. I drive over a pitch black mountain pass every day from work and its like day time with the matrix lights. every passenger i have had always comments on the lights. I get in my wife's car on occasion and its a nightmare driving it at night