anyone remapping soon?????

Ok .. I spoke to a reallly helpful civil servant today (I know that's rare:)! He spent a while trying to dig out the specific data for the RS3's when it was "type approved".. This would give the sound readings from the new car.
He said to me that, as in my previous post, the limit for cars now sits at 74dba, but that this is more of a guideline than anything else. He said cars were allowed a discretionary amount over this but there was no specific limit.

The reading is taken while the car is in motion, with the microphone at a distance of 7.5m as the car passes at it's closest point.. It is taken at a speed of 30mph at no fixed rpm in an "appropriate gear for vehicle speed" across a 20m stretch of particular tarmac with a certain grade/size of stones etc.
This is the test that should be at around the 74dba guideline. This is also the data held for type approval.

Another test is performed on the car, stationary inside lab conditions with no atmospheric (other! lol) noise to intefere with the testing.. In the stationary test, the car is accelerated in a gear to a certain percentage of it's rev range.. This varies due to how high the car can rev. The criteria is
- the car is revved to 75% of its's rev range if the total is less than 5,000rpm
- the car is revved to 3,750rpm if it's rev range is 5,000-7,500rpm
- the car is revved to 55% of it's rev range if the total is more than 7,500rpm

This second stationary test is not a legal requirement, but is apparently performed on all new cars. The data is only available to buy and there is no maximum limit (although this time the guideline is around 90dba) It is done with the microphone about 0.5m away from the exhaust at a certain angle etc...

He said that manufacturers exploit the way the test is set out by doing several things to reduce the noise - active exhaust valves are one, auto transmissions that use a much taller gear (or have upshifted to a lower gear than you would've perhaps been in in a manual car) are another. Both of these are based mainly around throttle position, so he said companies like audi are pretty clever as getting the car "set-up" for the test so it can be as quiet as possible, and he had come across several cases where a new car was tested with no defects and found to be considerably louder than the test cars provided!

Hope this hasn't bored everyone to tears:lazy: - i found it pretty helpful! Some of his data came from this document http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R051r2e.pdf

In particular pages 24, 25, 26. It goes into detail about position of mic's for the test, conditions and loadsa other variables in types of vehicle etc

I've got to hear back now from VW at milton keynes tech dept, who have the data for the rs3 specifically in the tests:scared2:!

Every audi we looked at : 3.2v6, r8 v8, rs4, 3.0tdi etc, were all between 70-73dba..

Many thanks for that q, I wonder when the rs3 was tested was the stronic on and in s mode.
Does this info mean that any aftermarket is discretionary really because most will exceed that given limit ?

Im still lost about where to get my remapp done after so many conflicting prices and stats not including the legality of an upgraded exhaust system all this is getting hard work

No problem mate.. I've just been speaking to amd Essex, and they have a good deal they're offering at the minute- they said that they have free fitting on the exhaust bits, and they said that they can do half price on the remap £350! If done with them! I think personally the cat-back milltek, the secondary bypass and a stage one will do me fine! Hurry up Audi and deliver my ************* ******** **** ******* car! If its resonated, it won't sound ridiculous until you give it some welly! Then all hell breaks loose!

Cheers for that Q.

What figures are they quoting mate. :icon_thumright:

^^^^^
what he said lol, 350 is cheap lets go lads I'm up for all of the above as long as it don't get me nicked lol

Serious tho guys I'm ready when you are and are localish too

Q do you know how much for all the exhaust bits ??!

Just rang them here goes

Half price remapp when you buy an exhaust system plus free fitting

Cat back with
polished tips £1136
black tips £1204
secondary £211

Turbo back system
black tips £2373
polished £2305

Remap £400

Remap with cat back and secondary
410bhp 440nm (you will achieve the same figures with standard exhaust system already thats what they told)

Remap with turbo back
430/440bhp 440nm

They said they need the car for a day

Mrc recon that their £650+ vat remap gives you 600/610 nm and 415 bhp !!!impossible!!! The gear box would not last long at all.

Heres qs tuning figures
410bhpModified MTM Motronic ECU with improved max torque 550Nm£999.00
424bhpAs 410bhp version but with additional Milltek turbo back exhaust. 560Nm£3401.00
472bhpOn request. Approx 600Nm£0.00

Enjoy

Just rang them here goes

Nice one Sticks! you got there before I got back home to post that! That's the price they gave me.. sounds pretty darn reasonable after checking about..

If anyone hasn't seen videos yet here is cat-back milltek with secondary cat bypass on throttle (active valve open!)

Last edited by a moderator:
and just to add.. AMD said that you don't "need" a remap if it's just cat-back and bypass.. but definitely do if it's intake and downpipe - decat etc added...

It does sound a competitive price but it's alot more money compared to just the mapp that I only wanted BUT! Now it's temptation to get it all done , my original plan was to get remapp keep normal exhaust system and spend out on some sort of brake upgrade as the turbo back or cat back systems don't give a huge increase of power after mapp but having better brakes surely inhance the performace and matches the power out put only IMO , i think I may ask if they do brake upgrades maybe get a deal with a map ?

Cheers for the info.

I've had such varying prices on the tbe. Seems some places will discount heavily.

Cheers for the info.

I've had such varying prices on the tbe. Seems some places will discount heavily.

Tell us more as I think we're all in the same boat with all this stuff lol, I think company's at the moment change their prices etc at the drop of a hat , so many different prices and claims of power etc it's a real headache!! , I will probly go the and route tho as their quite competitive at the moment and local , does anyone know of a brake upgrade for rs3?

Tell us more as I think we're all in the same boat with all this stuff lol, I think company's at the moment change their prices etc at the drop of a hat , so many different prices and claims of power etc it's a real headache!! , I will probly go the and route tho as their quite competitive at the moment and local , does anyone know of a brake upgrade for rs3?

My local Milltek dealer has offered me a good price. Dont want to post prices. Will PM you. I'll ask him maybe a GB?

well guys thanks for all the input on this ,I think im gonna go the amd way as their current offer is to hard to refuse,im gonna get on to them hopefully before the week ends, so fingers crossed i can get an early date to take her in,

nice

Seriously tempted here too guys.

From what I have reviewed or read so far - most 1st stage (map only) vendors on various softwares still forecast very similar gains - approx 400-410bhp. Personally I don't see there being too much in each with a little exception on the graph variance - which I appreciate is important.

Stage 1 to stage 2 does seem a huge jump in £'s for not a huge power gain and unless you go for the non resonated your not going to hear a huge difference either although the turbo will spool up quicker, etc - but generally the gains will be marginal to the average modder.

So I'm very keen on a stage 1 - however after reading about a fellow owners very unfortunate engine trouble - and that was without any map - I'd hate for any of us to put a huge risk on the warranty. So my question is do any of the vendors work under Audi warranty? I think Glasgow Audi near me are an MTM official vendor so I will try and call in one night later this week to find out the detail and cost. I'd rather pay £1k for safer fall back........thoughts?

Cheers.

well guys thanks for all the input on this ,I think im gonna go the amd way as their current offer is to hard to refuse,im gonna get on to them hopefully before the week ends, so fingers crossed i can get an early date to take her in,

nice

What exhaust config are you going for mate?
Mine is back at dealers tomorrow not sure how long for. :-(

I'd like to know if there is a map that doesn't invalidate warranty but guess if the ecu still has to be cracked because Audi have secured it then why would they allow mapping and a valid warranty MTM or other??

MTM have always had a close association with the manufacturers.
I think in Germany their maps are TUV which is effectively the same standards as the OEM and warranties are valid.
My gut instinct would be MTM.
i know that MRC have an awesome reputation too.

hey guys.. just a little update for anyone still interested in milltek systems and cat bypass.. JBS are offering the milltek cat-back for £908.87 inc vat or £963.21 inc vat with the ceramic tips!!!
Cat-back Exhaust - Resonated with Twin Ceramic Black GT90 tailpipes - JBS

also offering the secondary bypass for £168.96...
Secondary Catalyst Bypass Pipes - JBS

both seem really cheap, if I lived nearer to them I'd get them to fit it too as they quote good rates for the fitting too..
Probably just gonna get them to ship to me and have fitted locally...?

I think it's waste of money to change only catback, put at the same time the whole exhaust(turboback).

You guys checked out REVO's map? Had a look at the vid on the net, seems good! I have to admit i didnt really like the RS3 before but now, i really really like them, especially in Mica racing? mmm! Does anyone do a custom map for it?

catback is a waste of time, and tbh so are the bypass pipes