Anyone running Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's?

Sorry, I’m confused. The label on the tyre in the first of your photos says R19?
That was someone else's picture. I only got mine fitted today and only posted one pic showing the small rim protection. I wonder if it's to do what psi they've been inflated to as well. The other pic of an 18 from another guy the rim protection looks a lot larger.

Very odd. I was thinking of getting the ASY 5s, but I wanted good rim protection and I’m now having second thoughts.

Forgot i posted in this thread..........................

I had eTyres come to me house to fit both the rears with the 5's.

BUT!

When he turned up 1 hour 30 mins late he said he didn't have the 5's(even though it was in stock on the web site!) so used his initiative and brought 2 new 3's instead(which where showing out of stock on the web site ?). At the same price and less hassle of waiting(again) i was happy to have them fitted instead, but really i should of got what i ordered!

Note on fitting - He didn't want me standing there "bugging" him so he would give me a ring in half an hour(which is what he did) when hes all done to then have me witness him using the torque wrench and finish up

So sorry i cant comment about the 5's!

ps. would i use eTyres again ?, the jury is out on that one ?

Last edited:
Just had a bit of fun in the rain with my Asymmetric 5s for the first time and boy do they grip! So much so that got a bit of oversteer when my contis on the back stepped out!

Hi all. I registered because this is the only forum I can find discussing these tyres. Apologies, I don't own an 8V – I have a B7 RS4 and B7 2.0T DTM.

My RS4 was bought with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. I then needed a new front, so fitted 2x Michelin Pilot Sport 4, leaving the old Asymm 2 on the rear. Not ideal, I know. I then lost a MPS4 recently, and decided to fit new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 all round. When I got home, I regretted my decision.

The Asymm 2s and PS4s had great rim protection, at least 3 - 4mm of protrusion. The Asymm 5s have virtually no rim protection, maybe 1 - 2mm at most. I've already scratched a rim as a result, so I'm peeved off as I presumed the Asymm 5s would be an upgrade to the 2s in every sense.

To make things worse, my DTM has Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyres. They have the same rim protection as the Asymm 2s/PS4s. Way more than the Asymm 5s.

Once lockdown is over, I'm going to try and get my Asymm 5s swapped for Asymm 3s or something else. Bleak.

RS4/Asymm 5s in 255 35 19:

AwEme5j.jpg

DTM/Asymm 3s in 235 40 18:

N5Yjbgt.jpg

I've uploaded the rest of the pics here – .

There is actually a fair amount of info on this tyre around. Just go to tyre reviews.co.uk there was at least 3 or 4 tyre tests on this tyre. They are what prompted me to purchase this tyre. Some of those tests suggested that this has a better wear rate than the PS4 and grips at a similar level.
I was looking at getting Maxxis Vs5 as they have been getting good results as well but wear rate was better and grip slightly better on the asy 5 in tests.
I could find the maxxis for £67 fully fitted from a local tyre place but found the asy 5 for 71.50 fully fitted from F1 autocentre. This was on 225/45/17. I think 225/40/18 were about £80. Comapred to the continental premium contact 6 and PS4 at over £90 I thought it was a no brainer.
Unfortunately since lock down I have barely driven so I've only done 400 miles so they are still bedding in and I let them bed in upto 500 miles before pushing them. I will say that when it was raining very hard they did cope well through standing water.

Daft as it seems rim protectors add to weight on the tyre and weight can affect the efficiency. My original Eagle F1 tyres had a great rim protector, the latest ones are laughable. I use MPS4 on my car now .
The original Eagle F1 tyre rim protector. You can tell it was a few years ago it's an old style pound coin.

IMG 1705

Reactions: NevMan
Marketing as marketing goes should offer ones with or without depending if economy or protection is your priority.

I find seats in cars very individual too , X5 are too wide and for yardies .

Again car manufacturers should offer two sizes of front seats .

I measured my Asymm 3s and the rim protector protrusion is more like 4 - 5mm... So disappointed! Cost-cutting?

Also does anyone know for sure if all Asymm 5s are run flats? The Goodyear website states they are. My RS4 does not have a spare.

I measured my Asymm 3s and the rim protector protrusion is more like 4 - 5mm... So disappointed! Cost-cutting?

Also does anyone know for sure if all Asymm 5s are run flats? The Goodyear website states they are. My RS4 does not have a spare.

A friend of mine has these on his TT, and they are not runflats.

The whole rim protector thing is confusing , Asymmetric 2 had heaps as per Karl's pound coin pic , then it had hardly any when Asymmetric 3 came out as Karl replaced his 2's.

Yet some experience differently .

20180612 191624 2268x3024

Now 5 is supposed to have a good amount as per middle wheel and tyre reviews vid see @ 2:00

Screenshot 20210704 210406 YouTube

Strange not all experience but there are a few factors at play but still very strange .