Anyone tried using motorcycle engine oil on your car?

kinson

Reaction score
My mechanic claimed 5W40 is too think for use in the hot weather here in Hong Kong which can easily reach 36 degrees Celsius during summer. Based on his comment, 10W50, 10W60 or 15W60 are more suitable for turbo engines as these grade of engine oil offers better protection to the engine. When I complained about the "sloppiness" that these thick oil offer, he recommended Pakelo Krypton MBK 10W50.

I searched on the web and found out Pakelo MBK 10W50 are motorcycle engine oil and whilst motorbikes should never use motor car's engine oil, the other way should be okay. Based on this information I started feeding my 2.0T FSI S3 SB with this engine oil. The experience is fairly pleasant. The rev goes up fairly smoothly, compare to the Shell Ultra Helix 5W40 I used before.

So far I've travelled 10K+ km on the MBK oil and frankly I got no complain at all. However MBK 10W50 is obviously not VW 502 compliant, and I start to think if I should switch back to normal motor car oils...

Wonder if any fellow members also use motorcycle engine oil on their ride?

Sorry mate but why would you even considering ruining your engine by not putting in the correct recommended oil from manufacturers. If i was you i would replace the oil for vw 502 compliant oil immediately and eliminate the risk of destroying a really nice motor!

Sorry mate but why would you even considering ruining your engine by not putting in the correct recommended oil from manufacturers. If i was you i would replace the oil for vw 502 compliant oil immediately and eliminate the risk of destroying a really nice motor!

Not that I am trying to find an excuse, since the user handbook did mention API SM compliant oil can be used (though only as an exception only) and the MBK oil is API SM. Therefore although not 100% comfortable, I decided to give it a try. However this "non-compliance" of VW 502 standard is tickling right now.

Unfortunately I cannot find a detailed explanation of VW 502 standard. Otherwise I think I can appreciate more why 5W40 is sufficient to protect a turbo engine under 36+ degrees Celsius.