Anyone using telephone prep high with an iPhone?

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Interloper from the A3 forum here. Am looking at the new A3 which appears to have much the same technology as the A1 currently has and I have a question which no-one seems able to answer.

The top-end mobile telephone prep (high) uses a mobile data connection for things like Internet connectivity etc, and which requires either a phone which supports the SIM Access Profile over bluetooth, or alternatively you can put a SIM directly into the car itself for this connectivity.

This is fine, except that the iPhone, for reasons known only to Apple, doesn't support this bluetooth profile and thus won't work.

My question is, if I wanted to use an iPhone, but still wanted the advanced features offered by the high version of the telephone prep, could I use a dedicated SIM inserted into the car for this, but also connect my phone via bluetooth (in the 'old fashioned' way) for making and receiving calls?

Does anyone do anything like this or has experimented with it? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Thanks,
Toby.

You need to take the sim out of your phone each time and put it in the Sim slot on the dash

So basically, if you put a SIM card into the car, that's what it uses for everything and you can't then connect a phone via Bluetooth at the same time?

Gah, that sucks. So either I do without all the advanced connectivity of the high prep or I ditch the phone for one that supports the SIM access profile?

Seems a very daft way of doing things considering the iPhone is one of the most commonly used phones.

So basically, if you put a SIM card into the car, that's what it uses for everything and you can't then connect a phone via Bluetooth at the same time?

Gah, that sucks. So either I do without all the advanced connectivity of the high prep or I ditch the phone for one that supports the SIM access profile?

Seems a very daft way of doing things considering the iPhone is one of the most commonly used phones.

Yep ditch the iPhone and get a rSAP phone or don't use the 'High' features ;)

its not audis fault its apple

I think it's split responsibility - Audi's fault for not creating their software to work with HFP and Apple's fault for not making the iPhone rSAP compatible

I agree that Apple are being ******-minded about not supporting rSAP, but it's also Audi's fault for designing a system which simply doesn't work with the single most popular phone on the planet. What kind of logic is that from them? How many customers are they going to **** off? How many man-years will their staff spend explaining to customers why their iPhone doesn't work with their fancy new car?

I agree that Apple are being ******-minded about not supporting rSAP, but it's also Audi's fault for designing a system which simply doesn't work with the single most popular phone on the planet. What kind of logic is that from them? How many customers are they going to **** off? How many man-years will their staff spend explaining to customers why their iPhone doesn't work with their fancy new car?
F

For most people it will work perfect I know mine does in a1 & a6 95% will just want hands free calls and directory

Oh yeah I know the basic functionality will work, but how many people will spec the high package, possibly on the advice of a salesman who doesn't know any better or doesn't care because he wants more commission, only to find their iPhone doesn't work with it. Just seems like Audi are making a rod for their own backs here.

I've read that, if you jailbreak, it's possible to get rSAP support on the iPhone but not on the 4S just yet.

The jb for 4S was released the other day - I have mine done :)

I know of the app you're talking about but there was some testing done on another forum and the results weren't pleasing unfortunately!

BTW, I presume that, even with the high prep, you can still use a non-rSAP compatible phone and it'll work as it would with the low prep, just not permitting the extra functionality?