Apple car play

Abrown

Reaction score
I have read something saying this will be available on 2015 models. Has anyone heard anything about this? Does not state which models.
Do you think there would be any chance they would offer and update if it came after you had bought your car?

Last edited:
I very much doubt it. Apple make things difficult for Audi drivers because Audi chose google/android software for their upcoming models over Apple. Hence why Audi Connect in the new TT wont work over bluetooth with an iphone but will with an android phone.

I would expect Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be supported at the same time, so that Audi can address both with a single software/hardware update.

You would have thought within the next 12 months we should have something...

As far as i read it will be on q7 this year but would expect the facelift a3 or next version to have it.

It is one thing to make up one demo model. It is a different matter to totally change the current production lines. I am assuming that to incorporate the new 'car' systems Audi will have to incorporate touch screens, which will need to be closer to the driver than the current pop-up screen.

Perhaps the first model to have this will be the new A4 when it is released later this year. Things like this are much more likely to be included in a new model than a facelift and the new A4 is a completely new model. Audi also sell more A4s than any other model.

Reactions: DJAlix
I hope they avoid touch screens, they don't work on cars! I don't see how they are any different to using a smartphone, which is classed as dangerous.

They work quite well on all the VW models. Even with the Audi twist wheel you still have to look at the screen to select the item you want. The safest way is not to use either when you are actually driving. You generally have to look down to use any of the control switches, heating controls etc with the possible exception of the steering wheel buttons. It is generally easier and quicker to just touch an icon on a screen that to have the use an MMI type control to move it around a screen like a mouse. It will be interesting to see what Audi come up with. Perhaps all voice operated systems.

Last edited:
I have asked the Audi direct and they won't comment. They said they don't no anything...! I really doubt they would update existing models which is a shame! I just hope when I get mine it comes out a month after!!

I doubt very much that it will come to the A3 until at least a facelift and may not even be until the next A3 comes out.

It is one thing to make up one demo model. It is a different matter to totally change the current production lines. I am assuming that to incorporate the new 'car' systems Audi will have to incorporate touch screens, which will need to be closer to the driver than the current pop-up screen.

Nope there is no requirement for Android Auto to have a touch screen, I believe it works with whatever control system you already have in place. No idea about the Apple thing though.

As for getting it in the 8V... I don't think it's going to happen officially, it'll come in the next generation of A3 no doubt. However, I bet third party solutions will exist just like the current one that allows you to use the MMI as an android tablet as well - which I may look at fitting myself (though not if they are touch screen!)

I not sure I would like a 'tablet' type touch screen but I did find the screen in the Golf very easy to use and much better than the Audi 'twist wheel' system. I will have to 'play' with my MMI tomorrow as I'm off to Germany for a few days. Still I suppose even the MMI is easier than having to connect my laptop and change the headlights using VCDS. In my opinion most of the functions of the MMI should not be available when the car is moving as most still require the driver to look at a screen to make choices.

I agree I don't think either Android or Apple will be fitted by Audi to the current generation of A3.

Touch screens are fine when you're stationary but I think the knob + handwriting recognition + voice commands are safer when driving. Good to know Apple CarPlay and Android support both. I've heard the only way to control the radio volume with the Honda and Ford MMI is to pinpoint a tiny area on the screen and slide your finger (good luck on a bumpy road). That's crazy.

Prior to the purchase of my MY15 A3 Saloon I looked into this, although the Audi response (http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/android-auto-for-the-a3.230898/#post-2353924) specifically relates to Android Auto, they've previously stated they would release both CarPlay and Android Auto at the same time. Basically, the Q7 and A4 are the next cars to get this. Disappointingly there is little chance of the functionality being offered via a Software update, even though the hardware in the Saloon (not sure if it's the same for other models) is the same as was used in the Demo rig.

IMHO Touch screens in cars are a bad idea, no doubt the UX in a stationary car can be quite good, however interacting with arbitrary positions on a touch screen is not only harder to do (UK roads are simply not smooth enough) it's also less safe as it requires more of the drivers attention more than would for a wheel based system.

I've not been able to find the specific article however there is significant momentum in the US to ban or severely limit the functionality of Touch screen interfaces in Cars, I suspect that should this get close to reality, manufacturers will soon shift.

I wonder if it could even be made available via a module that plugs into the screen somehow. Carplay has just been made wireless, but android auto still requires a cable (imagine it'll be wireless soon enough though).

Similar vid here for Android Auto, only in German: