Approved Used A7 service history

Callum8

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently in process of purchasing a 2013 approved used A7 from Audi dealer.
Have paid deposit and should pick up at end of this month.

Purchasing an approved used I thought service history would be fine with the checks they supposedly do. Curiosity got the better of me and I'm confused by its history.

The car was serviced on time yearly up until 2017. It then appeared again in 2019 on a flexible service at 42450 miles.

This flexible service was 2 years and 3 months from last service so effectively 3 months late.

More worrying is the s tronic gearbox service was carried out at this time. I was under the impression this should be carried out at 38k making it 4450 miles late.

I could understand this from a private sale but a gear box service so late worries me about future warranty claims on the 1 year approved or the 2nd year RAC extended warranty sold to me.

Ive contacted dealer for an explanation but wondering on your thoughts.

Is this an issue or worrying over nothing?

Cheers

You may be over thinking it….

The service interval on these boxes is 40k miles. Also, it’s quite an expensive service (mainly due to the cost of the oil) so it’s possible that it was serviced outside of the dealer network (which is fine and doesn’t invalidate any warranty).

Regardless of that, if it’s an approved used, it will come with a 2 year warranty, and a 30 day exchange period if there are any issues. If you were buying privately or outside the Audi dealer network then that would be a different matter.

They are big cars, but great to drive. The one option I would say is essential, is a rear parking camera as it’s a long car to park with a restricted view out the back window.

John :racer:

Reactions: Callum8
You may be over thinking it….

The service interval on these boxes is 40k miles. Also, it’s quite an expensive service (mainly due to the cost of the oil) so it’s possible that it was serviced outside of the dealer network (which is fine and doesn’t invalidate any warranty).

Regardless of that, if it’s an approved used, it will come with a 2 year warranty, and a 30 day exchange period if there are any issues. If you were buying privately or outside the Audi dealer network then that would be a different matter.

They are big cars, but great to drive. The one option I would say is essential, is a rear parking camera as it’s a long car to park with a restricted view out the back window.

John :racer:
Thanks John, having slept on it your probably right and I'm worrying about nothing.

Yeah it's got front and rear parking cameras.

Coming from a little M140i, parking will take a little getting used to.

Reactions: RAF_S7
Hi Callum, I had my BiTDI gearbox serviced completely interdependently to the usual servicing dates. This was due to not wanting to wait till the next service and also splitting the cost from the regular service as it wasn't cheap. So that may be a factor for the mileage discrepancy.

Also, I had my turbos fail between services, so had them replaced along with a minor service and the independent garage said it was required more for replacing the turbos (changing air filter and replacing oil and other fluids as I asked them to) than needing a service. Hence they didn't put it down as a service due to it being part of the maintenance. So I didn't want to pay for a full service a few months later when it was due... which has put my service history out if you get me.

Spoke with Audi service who stated a 4.5k late gearbox service would probably invalidate gearbox warranty.

I didn't mention it was regarding an approved used I was buying.

Spoke with dealer who didn't seem to be aware of the late service and is now checking it won't have any impact on the approved used warranty.

I know there's probably a genuine reason for the discrepancy. Just trying to make sure I don't get shafted 6 months down the line if the gearbox goes pop.

If if they can give me assurance in writing I'll be happy with that.

Reactions: Eric_RS6 and RAF_S7
Spoke with Audi service who stated a 4.5k late gearbox service would probably invalidate gearbox warranty.

I didn't mention it was regarding an approved used I was buying.

Spoke with dealer who didn't seem to be aware of the late service and is now checking it won't have any impact on the approved used warranty.

I know there's probably a genuine reason for the discrepancy. Just trying to make sure I don't get shafted 6 months down the line if the gearbox goes pop.

If if they can give me assurance in writing I'll be happy with that.
If it Approved Used then everything should be covered apart from wear and tear items.

Regarding the gearbox, if the changes aren't smooth or there are clunks and rattles, return the car under the 30-day no quibble return policy.

The dealers will do anything to avoid this - it is a real blot on their copybook.