Aquawax and Polish

RMJ891

Reaction score
I have AG Aquawax, which has been working great for me so far.

However, I have an S1 in white, with a black roof, and the black bits are showing some tiny, light scratches and swirls. As such, I want to give the thing a polish.

I know there are other products out there, but I quite like AG (and it's 3 for 2 at Halfords), particularly as they do kits that come with applicators and cloths etc.

But my question is, how should I use the Super Resin Polish in conjunction with Aquawax, if at all? Is it polish first then Aquawax after? My though is that Aquawax is meant to be applied when the car is wet, which it obviously wouldn't be immediately prior to or after polishing.

Thanks folks.

I've not used AG Aquawax but I would hazard an educated guess that, as a wax, it would be a LSP (last step product) so, in the Autoglym scheme of things, you would:

SRP > EGP > Aquawax (Then maybe a QD just to tidy up any smears or blemishes)

Using SRP *after* Aquawax would most likely just remove it.

HTH

If i use my SRP, i will then wax the car with my AngelWax - The Fifith Element. As the aqua wax has to go onto a wet car i only ever use it to keep my wax levels topped up after a straight wash with no polish! Might not be the correct advice but its what works for me :) xx

Thanks! I actually got a reply from AutoGlym themselves that says you can use one after the other. I did so, and it looked great. Aaaand then it rained and I had to drive it through a large, muddy puddle, and ruined all the good work!

Hey ho!

@RMJ891 - realized I was a little late to the party with my reply! That's good to know, did you re-wet the car or just rub it in dry? Having a clean car in the countryside at this time of the year is the bain of my life. I spend 2-3 hours cleaning it and then i come home and its covered in combine dust! :( x

Reactions: RMJ891
Just remember AG SRP isn't actually a polish. It's a filler. It has no cutting abilities thus only masks the swirls and doesn't take them out. It's a decent product to use before a wax or sealant but the next few washes the swirls will reappear and you'll be back at square one. If you like Halfords get some Megs Ultimate Compond or Megs Swirl Remover as these will actually take the swirls out. The AG Aqua wax is decent and does a great job of bringing up the paint gloss.

Reactions: laudavis
Haha. It's a decent product, and I have it in my collection of many. For quickness and to give a good shine it's a good product but not to take any defects out of your paint. :sex:

You can't over use SRP as it doesn't take any top coat off the car. Other polishes, yes, you can over use them. A polish should only really be used once/twice a year. Waxes/Sealants as often as you like. I tend to clay, polish (if required) and seal twice a year. Once around March/April and then Sept/Oct but only polish if need be. Might only be a panel and not entire car. I'll top up wax/sealant weekly or after I wash the car. Some only do this twice/three times a year. Each to their own. In short, an abrasive polish will remove a certain amount of your top coat to correct defects in the paint (swirls, marring or scratches).

I only have some tiny, very minor swirls in the pillars of my car (which are black). The roof is fine, and all the white bits are fine (and the black at the back is a wrap).

I'm happy with my car being shiny, then as and when I need to shuffle it on I can get everything properly sorted if need be.

You can't over use SRP as it doesn't take any top coat off the car. Other polishes, yes, you can over use them. A polish should only really be used once/twice a year. Waxes/Sealants as often as you like. I tend to clay, polish (if required) and seal twice a year. Once around March/April and then Sept/Oct but only polish if need be. Might only be a panel and not entire car. I'll top up wax/sealant weekly or after I wash the car. Some only do this twice/three times a year. Each to their own. In short, an abrasive polish will remove a certain amount of your top coat to correct defects in the paint (swirls, marring or scratches).
Awesome thanks! Always nice to learn new things! Most of my friends couldn't give a hoot about cleaning cars so i have to learn my knowledge from somewhere! I also get - you are a girl why are you bothering with that :( why do you need to even learn anything about that? ah well at least Ive always got shiny looking car - its fun and the effort is always worth it! :) xx

Reactions: Scottyg
Pop over to Detailing World.
It can be scary at first with the amount of info but you filter what's important for you and what you want to achieve. Word of warning, it can get highly addictive! And costly! :hubbahubba:

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Bristle Hound
Definitely puts a hole in ones pocket. A ****** big one. I try not to go on as much now. Just depressing what I can't buy with all the nano glass coating etc!!

Also have a look at Junkman videos on YouTube. Very informative. Great for any level of detailer as he also shows you how to do things and what products he uses for certain things :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Spaceman_RS3 and laudavis