AR Brera Test Drive

johnnywb

Reaction score
Test drove the 2.4JTDM. Fist impressions, it looked stunning in black with the pepper-pot stlye alloys, simply gorgeous. Some of the pictures i've seen in the press have made it look a bit awkward from some angles, it doesn't in real life though. Great size boot on it at 300 litres, but the back seats are a definite token. I'm 5'9" and with the drivers seat set for me, i could only just get the seat back, but, there's no head room owing to the sunblind for the glass roof, so the back seats are limited to kids or very short journeys. The passenger side has the dash cut away so you could slide that seat further forward to get someone in, but doesn't change the lack of headroom!

In the driver's seat it's very nice. Everything is focussed on you as a driver (not like the cr@ppy flat dash in the new 3 series) and you get an oil temp gauge, boost guage (on the diesel), Water temp (on petrol) and fuel gauge in the middle of the console.

So the drive. Very impressed, didn't seem to ahve any flat spots and pulled well in all gears. I couldn't give it a lot of stick as the dealer principle was with me, but took it upto 90 on the dual carriageway, very nice noise from the engine, but not intrusive. Steering was niceley weighted and whilst i didn't notice the brakes particulalry, when i got back in the focus, the AR brakes were a lot better! THe clutch wasn't heavy and the gearbox had a nice shift to it. Overall i'm very impressed.

No chance of any discount (no surprises there...) but the Brera is very well specced, leather, cruise, parking sensors etc etc. The glass roof is great, a fantastic feature. AR seemed to have lost their cliff drop depreciation with the new models which is good and i'm definately very tempted...

Test driving an A3 2.0TDI and 2.0 TFSI next week. Considered the new TT, but by the time you spec it up it takes it out of my price range. Shame.

johnnywb said:
First impressions, it looked stunning in black with the pepper-pot stlye alloys, simply gorgeous. Some of the pictures i've seen in the press have made it look a bit awkward from some angles, it doesn't in real life though

Quite right. Magazines and TV just do not do it justice. I was wiping drool off my chin first time I saw one in the flesh.

Damn it... the car ISN'T available now... it's being used at a motor show somewhere. ******... 2-3 weeks away now, before I get to ride her.

I'm moving from the very satisfying position of being a happy A3 owner, to the more 'interesting' idea of getting myself a Brera (with all the trimmings), so test drove one at the weekend... I thought I'd share:

The dealer was a dream to talk with; friendly, knowledgable and not pushy. I'd already warned him I'm not buying today, as the car will (if chosen) replace my current car when its lease runs out next year.

The guy is a driving instructor in his spare time, which was funny as the 8 mile test route had him saying "at the next round-a-bout, take the 2nd exit to the right", etc... but also that "the dual carriage way ahead has NO speed cameras", he-he. nice.

As I had been used to the twin clutch manual box of the DSG with paddle shift, I was scared I'd forgotten how to use a stick-shift, but like riding a bike it was (god I'm speaking like yoda, sorry).

The sound of the Brera was MUCH more grunty than the Audi, with a roar like a porsche flat-6 in the high rev range.

The interior of the Brera was definitely worse than the Audi, but then this was a basic interior without extras, where-as my Audi is naturally well built. I have sat in a Brera SV (?) with a great interior package added, so this didn't bother me too much... I ignored it to be honest, as I felt a lot closer to the mechanics of the car (better) as it was less 'posh', which was a nice change.

Performance seemed about the same (even if on paper it's slightly slower) although I did notice that if over 4000 rpm, planting my foot to the floor resulted in a smoother acceleration, where-as my A3 would have instantly given me a kick in the backside. Maybe I need o take the revs up for that instant burst of power (anyone know about this?).

I didn't get a chance (this time) to test it's handling to the max around corners, but I didn't sense any of the front heavy over-steer I get in the A3, which was nice, but I'll have to take it out again to be sure how much this is true.

The gearstick/clutch movement was very easy, something my wife would even be able to handle (although the last manual car I owned had an organic helix clutch fitted, with about 2 inches of movement).

I don't have much more time to post now, but will add more later (or answer questions if anyone has any).

Ok, now test driven the supercharger Autodelta J5 Brera... OMFG! I've put in an order, put it that way! For a car that was beatiful in so many ways, but lacked the oomph it looked like it should have, Autodelta (Jano) has certainly turned it around and made it a smooth powerhouse it deserves to be.

Sorry, no camera... plenty on the autodelta.co.uk site though.

go to "Press" then follow then J5 links.

32c_35_thm.jpg

Picking up the standard Brera next Saturday, driving it straight to Autodelta and then picking up the supercharged J5 conversion 2 weeks later!