ARBS and Bushes

Haglos

jabba mapped
Reaction score
If i were to upgrade, what are the best makes to get?

Been covered loas of times pal, neuspeed are a popular choice, the rear arb can alos be swapped for an r32 thats quite popular and cheap, like i said theres a sticky full of info and loads of threads too.

do the RS ones bolt straight on

Do the RS 32 one bolt straight on.

R32 do. RS32 doesn't exist...and no other RS ARBs will fit.
Just be aware that the R32 hs a heavier engine than a S3...so although they work, they can be improved on.
Just not at the same price as R32 ARBs.

sorry about the stupidity my sister wrote this post for me dont worry i wont let her write again lol rs32.
so the golf r32 1s are a straight swap how much do they cost?
i have been quoted 480 pound labour to do front and rear arb's with the rear bushes does that seem right and £330 for front and rear arb's

Last edited:
so the golf r32 1s are a straight swap how much do they cost?

Mk4 Golf R32 are...not Mk5.
As for cost....don't know. Never looked into it as I wanted a different balance to the car than the R32 ARBs can provide.

i have been quoted 480 pound labour to do front and rear arb's with the rear bushes does that seem right and £330 for front and rear arb's

If it includes a full alignment - which you will ideally need - that sounds a bit steep...unless it's at audi @ £100ish P/H?

The alignment could easily be £100+ though.

no i got this priced up at amd in essex which i thought was a little steep they said for bushes as well 60 which is why i want to try and source the parts myself

Im going to uprate the ARB's and was thinking about MK4 R32. Someone posted all the parts numbers for everything needed, about £200 all in. Never fitted them before but think id give it a try, heard rear is straight forward but fronts bit fiddly

Ess what ARB's you go for and how did it effect the balance of your car.

i was gonna do the r32 ones as well where is a good place to buy them nattie

KW ones here, although on an A3 not an S3.
Seem nicely made though and have certainly helped my car out no end.

[QUOTE
I went for Neuspeed ARBs, smaller front than an R32 to stop some understeer (proportionally larger rear bar).
More expensive though.

ARBs should be done after decent springs and dampers though...it just finished mine off nicely.[/QUOTE]

OK, i understand now why the Neuspeeds ARB's can change the balance a little, didnt know the front was slightly smaller.

ok ill only use the r32 rears and go for neuspeed fronts. im changing mine as i was told i have a little play in them!

Haglos do you have standard suspension at the moment? The advice from those with experience is not to uprate the ARBs on original suspension as the standard shocks won't cope and can result in an unbalanced car.
I get the impression he drive his cars a little harder than most, but I've read that Ess had a serious accident in an Integra due to uprated ARBs on standard shocks.

Unfortunately it seems that because all suspension modifications end up with the need to either uprate other components to cope, or to have an alignment to get the best from the new stuff, the most cost effective way to make changes to the suspension is to replace everything in one go and then have an alignment. For example if you did springs and shocks and tie bars first, and at a later date did ARBs you'd be paying for two seperate alignments.

I think I'm going to have to replace my ARBs for MOT next month which will finally force me down the route of sorting out all of the suspension.

Did you look at the Whiteline Front ARB, about £60 cheaper than Neuspeed?

Personally I would go front & rear from the same manufacturer. Remember that Glen went with certain sizes using Neuspeed, who in my opinion along with H&R and Eibach are well respected in "ARB land" for making top quality products - simply matching the same sizes used by Glen may not achieve the same results if you're using some "lesser" / or mis-matched components.

For me, the main thing to take from those excellent write-ups is that you want to make the rear bar proportionally larger than the front - and dont forget the bushes whilst you're at it.

I'm thinking of trying out the Weitecs - if they work out the great, if not, after 6-12 months I'll just go with something from Neuspeed, H&R or Eibach - basically I'll decide on what kit can make the rear bar proportionally larger than the front.

Yeah I know what you mean about the same manufacturer for front and rear, I guess it may depend on budget as Whiteline front and R32 rear would be about £250 but Neuspeed front and rear would be £390.

The weitec ARB kit (I guess you mean this one?) might be a good choice at £330, but not sure about 25mm and 22mm, the adivce from ChriS3 and Ess is not to go that thick... "25mm ARB if you like hedgerows and fields" (ChriS3)... "25mm front ARB...what's that all about! Understeer city!" (Ess_Three)

so the general rule of thumb here is not to go for R32 arbs on standard shocks?

I think it probably depends on the condition of your standard shocks & springs.

Personally I would do it all in one go - shocks & springs / coilovers, ARBs and bushes. Then, dependant on how low you've gone (if at all - yeah right! ) you may start thinking about adjustable tie arms, new drop links etc - maybe at the same time or a month or two after letting the new set-up settle down.

But obviously we're not all sponsored by an F1 team, so budgets do come into this - so some may wish to do a bit every month or two - but as I said, personally I would save up the same amount every month or two and do most of it in one go.

thanks for the reply's.
Im only changing as i had the car checked and was told i need new 1s and they said they will do it for 480 labour and all the parts are uprated. im not looking to do all the springs and shocks keeping it standard as they are ok so should i just get standard 1s and does anyone know the prices
but should i buy uprated bushes though?

Last edited:
Well I know my rear arb is starting to fail but I cant afford to go the whole hog allready saving for some paint work! My standard springs and shocks are ok... so looks like I'll stick to a standard ARB then.

I guess its the sensible choice Fran, I'm doing the whole lot but not happy about how much it's going to cost.
Don't forget to give me a shout if you want a quote from my friends company!

I ran R32 ARB`s on std suspension for a while and it felt ok, it felt strange when only the rear one was done as I did them in stages

I ran R32 ARB`s on std suspension for a while and it felt ok, it felt strange when only the rear one was done as I did them in stages

How would you describe the changes, do you think the R32 set up is a good choice. Are you still on std shocks.

Yeah I know what you mean about the same manufacturer for front and rear, I guess it may depend on budget as Whiteline front and R32 rear would be about £250 but Neuspeed front and rear would be £390.

The weitec ARB kit (I guess you mean this one?) might be a good choice at £330, but not sure about 25mm and 22mm, the adivce from ChriS3 and Ess is not to go that thick... "25mm ARB if you like hedgerows and fields" (ChriS3)... "25mm front ARB...what's that all about! Understeer city!" (Ess_Three)

Sorry mate, just realised you asked me a direct question...

Yeah, they're the ones I'm thinking of, together with the Weitec coilovers - just to be a bit different.

My reasoning (which may be floored, obviously) is:
I THINK mine are 19/20mm Front and 14/15mm Rear as standard.
By my calculations:
  1. At best I am increasing the front by 5mm (20mm - 25mm) and the rear by 8mm (14mm - 22mm).
  2. At worst I am increasing the front by 6mm (19mm - 25mm) and the rear by 7mm (15mm - 22mm).
But either way, I'm still proportionally increasing the rear Vs the front = less understeer.

Whilst Weitec ARBs probably haven't the same quality as Eibachs, H&Rs, Neuspeeds etc - the sheer extra thickness I would have thought would make up for that.
My other reasoning was I assumed (again maybe wrongly) that the Weitec coilovers and ARBs would/could be matched by the manufacturer to work well in unison.

Time will tell!!!

How would you describe the changes, do you think the R32 set up is a good choice. Are you still on std shocks.

just the rear and it took all the waivey tip like fealing out of the rear but was easy to overstear and felt uneasy at speed switching lanes on the motorway. Front and rear felt a little like std but a lot less body roll.

then I uprated the suspension to billy and H&R`s and it feels :)

Yeah, they're the ones I'm thinking of, together with the Weitec coilovers - just to be a bit different.

Fair play to ya. Like you say, the front to rear ratio should be ok. There isn't much opportunity to try something different these days as everyone has tried everything.

I'm going to go for a Whiteline 22mm Front ARB and the R32 rear ARB with the Weitec 20mm/15mm Ultra GT kit and Forge tie bars, mainly because I want a better than standard car on a budget and I don't drive hard at all.
Not sure if anyone has this setup, hopefully I'm the first!

im just gonna get standard ones but i still dont know why my arb's needing changing they did not say. should i uprate the bushes though as they are split. does anyone know of any prices for standard arb's

Fair play to ya. Like you say, the front to rear ratio should be ok. There isn't much opportunity to try something different these days as everyone has tried everything.

I'm going to go for a Whiteline 22mm Front ARB and the R32 rear ARB with the Weitec 20mm/15mm Ultra GT kit and Forge tie bars, mainly because I want a better than standard car on a budget and I don't drive hard at all.
Not sure if anyone has this setup, hopefully I'm the first!

The Weitec kit is a bit cheaper - so the way I see it, is if after 6 months or so I'm not happy, then I'll just bin it and go the tried and tested way - someones got to be first!!

Haglos, if your bushes are split then they need replacing - I've found that sometimes you can get like a sudden weight shift when they're in a bad way - and you'll be surprised at what a difference polys can make to the feel - well they did with my previous Golfs anyway.

just the rear and it took all the waivey tip like fealing out of the rear but was easy to overstear and felt uneasy at speed switching lanes on the motorway. Front and rear felt a little like std but a lot less body roll.

then I uprated the suspension to billy and H&R`s and it feels :)

Thanks for the info. I think im going to do them both at the same time.

Guys how easy is it to change the both ARB's, what process do you take. Heard the rear is bolt off bolt on but the fronts bit more fiddly.

depends on how much work you have done on cars really. The rear is a 30 min job, the front takes longer and is better with a second pair of hands I think there is a guide somewhere but forgot where.