Arch rolling for 9.5" rears ? advise needed.

Y 14RGE

Reaction score
I've got myself some new wheels which are 9.5" wide and they rub like a ******. I've stretched a 245-40-18 trye on them but with big bumps and speed ramps it still clips the arch. I have seen these arch rolling tools which bolts onto the hub but has any one used one ?
Some one else suggested some kind of bumpstop to prevent the body dropping down too far, any suggestions ?
Cars running on standard suspension.
Forgive me for not replying quickly.
IMG_7942.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is the tyre not the wheel's. If you stick a 225x40x18 you will have no rubing. A 235 may be fine (looking again at the pic's)
I had 19x9 Brabus rim's with a 235 tyre and had no problem's.The 245 is a little to wide so change the tyre's and there will be no need to have the arch rolled.

Thanx for that, i've only done about 10 miles on these tyres, see if i can swap at the garage. if not, dont know any one who needs some 245's ?

If the garage don't have them of you stick in the classified's it's free. Again i think 235x 40 will be fine .

You have a stretch now ,
a 235 will be worse and 235 tyres are not much different to what you have i say this as i have 235 tyres that actual measure 244 across the tread so if you try the 235 route becareful you may end up with similar size in tyre allthou it would be a slightly lower profile ,
If you stick a 225 on a 9.5" rim it will be dangerous and yes i know people have stupid stretches but the fact is the tyre is not designed to be that pulled apart if you want too stick with the wheels get them arches rolled as you were going to in the first place a tyre stretch is just wrong

I spoke to a friend earlier and they would be reluctant to put anything narrower than 245 on a 9.5", i've now got access to the tool so i think i might give the arches a go when it stops raining !

The rear arches should roll nice as there flat lipped anyway you will probably get away without paint if you go easy ,
as already said dont forget pics when your done and good luck :icon_thumright:

I had 215/45/17 on my 9.5's on my golf, this was a bit too much for me, but the car was driven plenty and trackday'd over 3 years, never had any issues. 225 wont be that stretched and is what i'll be running when I finish building my bew wheels.

:applaus::applaus: Nowt wrong with a bit of stretch. Again for the last time 235 or 225 will fit fine on a 9.5 wheel and will look fine. Waste of money having the arch rolled . Matttrs thank's

Check these.
Brand/Name: Carlsson 3/6
Size: 18x8.5 front, 18x10.5 rear
Offset: et35 front, et28 rear
Spacer(s): none
Camber: -5 and then some (modified rear hubs to get extra cammber)
Tires: 225/40 front, 255/40 rear Falkens
Suspension: H&R coilovers
Ride height: Low
Fender mods: Top screw removed from front fender liner
Rubbing: Front none, rear over big bumps or during hard corning
Brake Spec: 3.0 a4 front calipers and rotors

DSC02208.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

Brand/Name: iForged Neo 3-piece
Size: 19x9 front, 19x10 rear
Offset: ET35 all around
Tires: Falken FK452s, 225/35 front, 235/35 rear
Suspension: STaSIS Streetsport Coilovers

IMG_0942copy.jpg

Last edited:
undersize tyres on over sized wheels look naff in my opinion and are making the tyre sit on the rim in a place its not designed to operate in
if your going todo it do it right roll them arches and do it right
whats the point in having big wide wheels and then fitting them with skinny undersized tyres i thought most were after more grip not less .

The last thing i want is the edge of my rim exposed, after all it is our "family"car and needs to be a bit practical. not into modifying camber which will prob wreck tryes. Not costing me anything to do, borrowing all equiptment, anyway too late, in between showers i've done one arch and looking good, the only hard thing is to get an even curve on the arch. looks like its going to p$*s down tomorrow so should get it done by sat and get some pics up.

Looking forward to seeing this ,
keep up the good work :icon_thumright:

i well want my arches rolled just need to find some good wheels first.

So Far So Good.
The arch rolling tool works a treat, I'm certainly no mechanic and have never done this before and worked well (IMO). I think it would take a hell of a lot to iron out the crease on the lip. Went for a quick blast with a couple of wheels in the back and no rubbing, yet. Test it properly on the weekend when i take my fattest collegues to work. Heres a few pics, i'll get some of the whole car when i clean it up a bit..

GOPR0448.jpg

GOPR0456.jpg

AudiA4B6archroll4.jpg

AudiA4B6archroll11.jpg

AudiA4B6archroll9.jpg

Last edited:
me too it cant be safe to mess with them that way more so if you have kids in the car and all the pot holes we have

I personally think you have ruined your arches, you would have easily been able to run a 225/40/18 safely.

I personally think you have ruined your arches, you would have easily been able to run a 225/40/18 safely.

I have tried but it's like :banghead: I would have tried tyre's first as stated in earlier post's

Last edited: