Are modern cars too clever?

It wouldn't mate, looking to keep the next car 4-5 years so the less to go wrong the better lol. If it was the other side of winter I'd be tempted to get that one, it's what I want to pay, the colour and new! I recall having a big VX Carlton with a towbar on, that was my parking sensor on that :p

These are the BBS on your colour :) With the black mirrors and alloys I'd get the roof wrapped black as well ;)

View attachment 195288

https://www.wish.com/m/c/578c2f06a6...MI4v7opbjO5gIVRrDtCh3CrARIEAQYByABEgJnzPD_BwE

that will solve your parking sensors.
Fitted something similar to these years ago on a mates car and surprisingly worked well. Sticky tape on inside of bumper and wire to reverse lights. Just beeps but that’s no different to my s3 with no front sensors.

Reactions: TYb and S32B
It wouldn't mate, looking to keep the next car 4-5 years so the less to go wrong the better lol. If it was the other side of winter I'd be tempted to get that one, it's what I want to pay, the colour and new! I recall having a big VX Carlton with a towbar on, that was my parking sensor on that :p

These are the BBS on your colour :) With the black mirrors and alloys I'd get the roof wrapped black as well ;)

View attachment 195288

Then all you need to do is add the power upgrade pack ;-)

Reactions: S32B
Are you getting it?

If I’m still enjoying the car once warranty is up I think I will. The interest is next to nothing on the deal so pretty certain I’ll keep this one. It doesn’t need a big power increase to be honest, the 180 or so Really suits the car, I think going up to 200bhp would be the icing on the cake but doesn’t need more.

The car market is moving so fast at the moment I don’t think I would get another PCP until electric cars have better range and more affordable, if that is still the way we are going.

Reactions: S32B
Kia pride was what I learned in
View attachment 195269
they seem to make much better cars now.

I learnt to drive in a 1958 Morris 1000 traveller, it even had orange stick out arm turn signals, no fancy front and back flashing indicators, it did have a radio and a heater though, but that was it

img_7026__large.jpeg

Reactions: pburv, TYb, Phutters and 1 other person
I don’t have a problem with tech in cars per se but:

mixing tech and humans in the decision making process isn’t likely to end well

People seem to rely on tech to save them when they run out of talent rather than driving within their skill level.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Rcord and AlS3BE
Anyone else feel they would rather take a step back and go back to basics with their car?

I made this comment in a thread the other day about pointless things I've found on my car:

I worry about my A5 being out of warranty, the amount of silly things on it that could potentially go wrong and cost a lot of money! The one that springs to mind which is a ":wtf: WHY?" moment: Driving home from work, going down the motorway and it's belting down with rain, spray everywhere and no cars in front or at the side of me....bing bing bing the alert starts going off!!! I look down only to see on the dash "Limited visibility" wtf I know it is as I'm looking out of the window at it! Why do I need the car to tell me that? :blink: Another One, a little icon comes up to tell me to take my foot off the accelerator because there is a roundabout ahead! Yeah I can see that!!!

Then this morning, I was out in the car driving along a wide 40 mph A road with the sun right in front of me, closest car was about 100 foot away, no pedestrians or cars at the side of the road....bing bing bing, looked down 'Audi pre sense' alert showing on the dash! The only thing I can think of is that the brights low sun set it off?!?

If you had a choice and could buy a car without all the standard reversing cameras, sensors, driving aids etc. and save a few grand would you, or do you like all that stuff?

Any other comments welcome :)
And future will be even worse if u will be driving badly car will stop and lock untill police arrives haha , will check your recording video :D
This is how audi wanna make money .. they will screw your warranty and will try to milk as much they can... Soon they will be like disgusting scrApple company .. your crap mac will stop working and they will tell cust ; sorry u have to buy new one.. soon this will be with audi ... as electric cars will be more produced and once earth oil will run out in 2050 (so within 30 years) there will be only electric cars on roads wich won't fail as much as petrol/diesel cars so only battery replacement will be carried out or tyres and brake pads .. and and only maintenance services done .. there will be no carbon emissions so they are afraid of loosing money slowly. There will be no clogged turbo or clogged exhausts anymore there will be no burned oil anymore .. but cars will be more and more expensive ..

I learnt to drive in a 1958 Morris 1000 traveller, it even had orange stick out arm turn signals, no fancy front and back flashing indicators, it did have a radio and a heater though, but that was it

img_7026__large.jpeg
I learned in a Morris too. It wasn't posh like yours though, not least because it wasn't a slinky half-timbered Avant. Ours (my Dad's) was a saloon. No radio. And it wasn't a stunning metallic turquoise either. It was the colour of a muddy puddle.

I'll never forget it. And once I'd passed my test, I got to drive it all by myself. Inspired me to words, it did:

Clutch in, two three... crash the gears, two three... clutch out, two three...

I remember the nervous excitement that came with settling into the dark red seat. I remember the fabulous smell of damp carpet, rusty sills, and British craftsmanship.

I remember twisting the key in the ignition with shaking fingers and a dry mouth.

No matter how many times I did it, each time was like fretful fingers’ first frantic fumbling with a bra fastener warmed by smooth adolescent skin beneath a crisp white blouse. Each time, too, my heart was in my mouth, and my gut churned with that same feeling of intense excitement mixed with a primeval and almost uncontrollable urgency.

I remember how the mighty engine coughed, expectorated, and burst into life, whooping great draughts of petrol and air into its carburettor, all the while trying to twist itself out of the chassis as it strained to be unleashed.

There was nothing quite like the sensation of all that raw power.

I was pushed back into the seat by a giant, irresistible hand. The engine roared and the countryside went backwards at an incredible rate as the car pummelled towards the horizon in an intoxicating surge of acceleration. The speedometer needle fairly raced around the dial – not that I had much time to check. The universe went into overdrive, and it was all I could do to hold onto the writhing steering wheel as the front of the car went light.

Vicars’ wives on bicycles with baskets full of chutney dived for the hedgerows as we shot past. Rooks spilled from tall treetops, cawing in alarm, and corpulent woodpigeons clattered from the wheat fields like bursts of wild applause.

My eyes narrowed in fierce concentration as the first bend appeared. I sawed at the wheel like Nuvolari around the Nordschleife as the cross-plies howled their shrieking protest beneath me, and the differential tried to tie itself in knots. I wrestled huge armfuls of opposite lock while peering out through a fly-encrusted windscreen from between the steering wheel rim and the scuttle as the slipstream of our passage flattened the cow-parsley on the verges. The G-forces were so strong that the little yellow plastic ashtray that was stuck to the quarterlight with a rubber sucker came off and flew across the car.

I struggled to keep the engine bellowing lustily in its narrow, fierce power band as the exquisitely engineered orchestra of components ahead of me combined to produce a symphony that reverberated from the window of the Post Office as we flew past. I left-foot braked and heel-and-toed until the air was thick with the smell of tortured Ferodos. As we neared the bus shelter, our velocity was incredible. The whole world was a blur. The drums glowed as I furiously scrubbed off speed. There was a thunderous backfire*, and I could see in the mirror as the unburnt fuel, ignited in brief flashes of flame from the half-inch diameter exhaust pipe, set light to Mr Timpson's chrysanthemums.

At the top of the lane I squealed to a halt, undid the racing harness and hit the kill switch.

As the car cooled, pinging and ticking quietly to itself, I got out. Slowly, everything returned to normal. Mrs Cadwallader's cat went back to licking its testicles. Sparrows chirped enthusiastically in the hawthorn, and a collared dove in the laburnum cooed gently in appreciation.

I lifted the oil-spattered goggles onto my brow, and, drawing deeply on a Woodbine that I rapped briefly on the back of my still-quivering hand and lit by touching its tip to the still-glowing brakes, I exhaled a triumphant plume of smoke.

I leaned on the sinuous curves of the aerodynamic monocoque, and ran my hand over the firm swell of the warm bonnet. My fingers lingered in the intimate curves, and the car’s smooth loins trembled gently under my touch. The heady aroma of multigrade, mixed with hot rubber and clutch lining hung around us.

For all the world we could have been beside the Mulsanne Straight, Eau Rouge or Knicker Brook.

I closed my eyes and let the sun warm my back as I imagined us hurtling along the endless sands of Pendine in search of yet another land speed record, man and machine as one.

And all the while, sophisticated and pencil-skirted ladies in headscarves and sunglasses forgot their envious beaus and cheered, waving their pretty handkerchiefs and blowing extravagant kisses.

*You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but is this a DSG fart? Is it the same thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rcord, The_Ironist, AlS3BE and 4 others
I learned in a Morris too. It wasn't posh like yours though, not least because it wasn't a slinky half-timbered Avant. Ours (my Dad's) was a saloon. No radio. And it wasn't a stunning metallic turquoise either. It was the colour of a muddy puddle.

I'll never forget it. And once I'd passed my test, I got to drive it all by myself. Inspired me to words, it did:

Clutch in, two three... crash the gears, two three... clutch out, two three...

I remember the nervous excitement that came with settling into the dark red seat. I remember the fabulous smell of damp carpet, rusty sills, and British craftsmanship.

I remember twisting the key in the ignition with shaking fingers and a dry mouth.

No matter how many times I did it, each time was like fretful fingers’ first frantic fumbling with a bra fastener warmed by smooth adolescent skin beneath a crisp white blouse. Each time, too, my heart was in my mouth, and my gut churned with that same feeling of intense excitement mixed with a primeval and almost uncontrollable urgency.

I remember how the mighty engine coughed, expectorated, and burst into life, whooping great draughts of petrol and air into its carburettor, all the while trying to twist itself out of the chassis as it strained to be unleashed.

There was nothing quite like the sensation of all that raw power.

I was pushed back into the seat by a giant, irresistible hand. The engine roared and the countryside went backwards at an incredible rate as the car pummelled towards the horizon in an intoxicating surge of acceleration. The speedometer needle fairly raced around the dial – not that I had much time to check. The universe went into overdrive, and it was all I could do to hold onto the writhing steering wheel as the front of the car went light.

Vicars’ wives on bicycles with baskets full of chutney dived for the hedgerows as we shot past. Rooks spilled from tall treetops, cawing in alarm, and corpulent woodpigeons clattered from the wheat fields like bursts of wild applause.

My eyes narrowed in fierce concentration as the first bend appeared. I sawed at the wheel like Nuvolari around the Nordschleife as the cross-plies howled their shrieking protest beneath me, and the differential tried to tie itself in knots. I wrestled huge armfuls of opposite lock while peering out through a fly-encrusted windscreen from between the steering wheel rim and the scuttle as the slipstream of our passage flattened the cow-parsley on the verges. The G-forces were so strong that the little yellow plastic ashtray that was stuck to the quarterlight with a rubber sucker came off and flew across the car.

I struggled to keep the engine bellowing lustily in its narrow, fierce power band as the exquisitely engineered orchestra of components ahead of me combined to produce a symphony that reverberated from the window of the Post Office as we flew past. I left-foot braked and heel-and-toed until the air was thick with the smell of tortured Ferodos. As we neared the bus shelter, our velocity was incredible. The whole world was a blur. The drums glowed as I furiously scrubbed off speed. There was a thunderous backfire*, and I could see in the mirror as the unburnt fuel, ignited in brief flashes of flame from the half-inch diameter exhaust pipe, set light to Mr Timpson's chrysanthemums.

At the top of the lane I squealed to a halt, undid the racing harness and hit the kill switch.

As the car cooled, pinging and ticking quietly to itself, I got out. Slowly, the world returned to normal. Mrs Cadwallader's cat went back to licking its testicles. Sparrows chirped enthusiastically in the hawthorn, and a collared dove in the laburnum cooed gently in appreciation.

I lifted the oil-spattered goggles onto my brow, and, drawing deeply on a Woodbine that I rapped briefly on the back of my still-quivering hand and lit by touching its tip to the still-glowing brakes, I exhaled a triumphant plume of smoke.

I leaned on the sinuous curves of the aerodynamic monocoque, and ran my hand over the firm swell of the warm bonnet. My fingers lingered in the intimate curves, and the car’s smooth loins trembled gently under my touch. The heady aroma of multigrade, mixed with hot rubber and clutch lining hung around us.

For all the world we could have been beside the Mulsanne Straight, Eau Rouge or Knicker Brook.

I closed my eyes and let the sun warm my back as I imagined us hurtling along the endless sands of Pendine in search of yet another land speed record, man and machine as one.

And all the while, sophisticated and pencil-skirted ladies in headscarves and sunglasses forgot their envious beaus and cheered, waving their pretty handkerchiefs and blowing extravagant kisses.

*You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but is this a DSG fart? Is it the same thing?

Exactly what I was going to say!
Who would of thought it :worked till 5am:

Reactions: The_Ironist and Phutters
You have to love crash gearboxes, my way with them was push in the clutch select neutral, light a fag, and then push in the clutch and select the next higher gear.

Reactions: AlS3BE, Audi Bairn and Phutters
Bring back the crank handle and manual choke IMO. This would stop people who really shouldnt be driving from starting the car in the first place. win!

Reactions: AlS3BE and Audi Bairn
You have to love crash gearboxes, my way with them was push in the clutch select neutral, light a fag, and then push in the clutch and select the next higher gear.
Had an old car with worn synchros and had to do that to select some gears. Lighting a fag was about the right time :icon thumright::wink:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Sold my s3 earlier in the year and my new car has all the "safety" things mentioned and I admit some are annoying, one I have that is very good though is something called a Clear Sight mirror - essentially a rear facing roof mouted camera feeds a wide HD video feed to the rear view mirror - so if you have anyone in the back seat or a full boot your view is unrestricted - you can flick to normal mirror if you prefer but the video feed (which is flipped like the mirror image) is so much clearer in both day and night :)

Reactions: AlS3BE, TYb and Audi Bairn
Sold my s3 earlier in the year and my new car has all the "safety" things mentioned and I admit some are annoying, one I have that is very good though is something called a Clear Sight mirror - essentially a rear facing roof mouted camera feeds a wide HD video feed to the rear view mirror - so if you have anyone in the back seat or a full boot your view is unrestricted - you can flick to normal mirror if you prefer but the video feed (which is flipped like the mirror image) is so much clearer in both day and night :)

Thing I hate the most in the evoque is the lane assist. It literally yanks the steering if it thinks you are drifting into another lane. It’s more than just a beep or light. Sometimes it’s just dangerous especially on a windy twisty road. Same with the auto high beam, just a bit retarded/delayed so blinding oncoming traffic.
Have to say though the 1 or 2 tines I’ve used the auto parallel park has been quite good as visibility isn’t the best in a car like that.

Reactions: JDHOWELLS and Audi Bairn
Thing I hate the most in the evoque is the lane assist. It literally yanks the steering if it thinks you are drifting into another lane. It’s more than just a beep or light. Sometimes it’s just dangerous especially on a windy twisty road. Same with the auto high beam, just a bit retarded/delayed so blinding oncoming traffic.
Have to say though the 1 or 2 tines I’ve used the auto parallel park has been quite good as visibility isn’t the best in a car like that.

Yeh the lane assist took some getting used to but the option is there to keep it switched off, my auto high beam seems to work fine for me. I’ve only ever used the auto park thing a couple of times as I prefer to park away from any other car in a nice big space.. and also the cameras are a big bonus for things like that too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn and AlS3BE