Are modern cars too clever?

S32B

Reaction score
Anyone else feel they would rather take a step back and go back to basics with their car?

I made this comment in a thread the other day about pointless things I've found on my car:

I worry about my A5 being out of warranty, the amount of silly things on it that could potentially go wrong and cost a lot of money! The one that springs to mind which is a ":wtf: WHY?" moment: Driving home from work, going down the motorway and it's belting down with rain, spray everywhere and no cars in front or at the side of me....bing bing bing the alert starts going off!!! I look down only to see on the dash "Limited visibility" wtf I know it is as I'm looking out of the window at it! Why do I need the car to tell me that? :blink: Another One, a little icon comes up to tell me to take my foot off the accelerator because there is a roundabout ahead! Yeah I can see that!!!

Then this morning, I was out in the car driving along a wide 40 mph A road with the sun right in front of me, closest car was about 100 foot away, no pedestrians or cars at the side of the road....bing bing bing, looked down 'Audi pre sense' alert showing on the dash! The only thing I can think of is that the brights low sun set it off?!?

If you had a choice and could buy a car without all the standard reversing cameras, sensors, driving aids etc. and save a few grand would you, or do you like all that stuff?

Any other comments welcome :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and jimojameso
Really dont think you'll have a choice in the future to be honest l dont have anything other parking sensors and a rear camera more than enough for me although blind spot assist is rather good
Also my Focus ST3 had a full factory fitted safety kit on it...l just switched them off

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, pburv and S32B
I only spec the parking sensors and LED headlights (might try Matrix next time) - other stuff is for my comfort inside Bang & Olufsen etc

Like Jassy says you won't have an option soon as it's all getting ready for Autonomous driving - Please hope that's not in my driving time although having been on the M25 and M1 on Saturday the standard of driving is so s**t maybe it will improve things

although blind spot assist is rather good
I was driving one of the new cars through the factory a few weeks back, I noticed a little picture/light of a car pop up in my mirror (it was the blind spot assist) as I looked at it thinking what set that off? a stacker truck pulled across the front of me! Straight away I thought "That's s***, whilst I'm looking in the mirror I missed the truck pulling out in front of me" :D

Not hugely fussed about blind spot, pre sense and the other things. Only things I really appreciate are front and rear sensors, just peace of mind that one. LED lights are a must but standard on most cars these days.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I have both an A3 e-tron with all the toys and its great for commuting driving new places where im parking in odd spots or not aware of oddities on the road or the way the traffic is etc... it keeps me safe

I then have a 1975 Triumph spitfire 1500 which you really do take you own life in your hands when you take it out on the twistys . There is no assistance at all and its great too in a different way .

I really look forward to an autonomous car So I can live in the countryside far away from the city, wake up in the morning get in my car have a snooze as it drives me to work drops me off then goes and parks itself When I want to go home I call it and i can have a snooze on the way home or read or play video games or even a beer

Then at the weekend I can take out the classic and have a hack around ...

Reactions: CHEZ
Back in the 90's my wife's farther was proud as punch to buy himself a brand new car.......A Proton....
6896415241_3323fa1024_m.jpg
....This isn't it by the way....The reason I know this is it has a passenger wing mirror.....Back then even that was a factory option:haha: In all the years he had it never once broke down....Not sure it was good bang for your buck though:puke2:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and CHEZ
Not hugely fussed about blind spot, pre sense and the other things. Only things I really appreciate are front and rear sensors, just peace of mind that one. LED lights are a must but standard on most cars these days.

I’m sure that LED lights are great from a driver perspective (although I only have the old standard lights). However they are not such an innovation for other, older road users. It is an established fact that as you get older dazzle and flare from bright lights becomes worse. Driving at night these days is getting more and more trying for me, it’s as if a majority of cars have forgotten to dip their lights - and my wife can no longer drive at night at all. Even when dipped, many oncoming cars are as bad if not worse than full beam was 10 or 20 years ago.

If I had a new car I would probably lap up the nice lights lighting up the road in front of me, but would be aware of the effect on other road users.

Rant over - Happy Christmas.

Reactions: KenL and pburv
I’m sure that LED lights are great from a driver perspective (although I only have the old standard lights). However they are not such an innovation for other, older road users. It is an established fact that as you get older dazzle and flare from bright lights becomes worse. Driving at night these days is getting more and more trying for me, it’s as if a majority of cars have forgotten to dip their lights - and my wife can no longer drive at night at all. Even when dipped, many oncoming cars are as bad if not worse than full beam was 10 or 20 years ago.

If I had a new car I would probably lap up the nice lights lighting up the road in front of me, but would be aware of the effect on other road users.

I am only in my late 30s and have tis problem I think it is a lot to do with the hight difference as well a lot more SUV/Crossover vs small hatchback seating and lighting positions . I don't notice it any where as much when driving a van...

Reactions: KenL and S32B
Back in the 90's my wife's farther was proud as punch to buy himself a brand new car.......A Proton....
6896415241_3323fa1024_m.jpg
....This isn't it by the way....The reason I know this is it has a passenger wing mirror.....Back then even that was a factory option:haha: In all the years he had it never once broke down....Not sure it was good bang for your buck though:puke2:

Is that a Proton Saga ? If so it was a mitsibushi Lancer in disguise I think ! No wonder it dint die ...

Reactions: pburv
Is that a Proton Saga ? If so it was a mitsibushi Lancer in disguise I think ! No wonder it dint die ...
I haven't a clue mate...I tried not looking into it too much lol.....
He drove me and the wife to Manchester airport in it once...An experience i will never forget....Got there just in time for our flight....Didn't break down or anything it was just soooooo slow.......and yeah very uncomfortable..

Really dont think you'll have a choice in the future to be honest l dont have anything other parking sensors and a rear camera more than enough for me although blind spot assist is rather good

You've taken a uturn on that one haven't you, 'a silly driver aid' is what you've referred to it in the past when i mentioned it in one of my threads.

And having used it for 18 months... i think you were correct.

It's OK to have but i won't be putting it on the spec list when i opt for BMW next.

I am only in my late 30s and have tis problem I think it is a lot to do with the hight difference as well a lot more SUV/Crossover vs small hatchback seating and lighting positions . I don't notice it any where as much when driving a van...
Ever noticed Range Rover lights.....The height of them are directly in your line of vision especially rear view mirror.

Reactions: KenL
Ever noticed Range Rover lights.....The height of them are directly in your line of vision especially rear view mirror.

Annoying to say the least, dimmer rear view mirror and door mirrors sorts it out though.

Reactions: Adam14 and pburv
Annoying to say the least, dimmer rear view mirror and door mirrors sorts it out though.
I have a 'pauper' spec'd S3 Unfortunately no dimming mirror....But I did retro fit the rear view mirror not long after I had it.:icon thumright:

Reactions: Jassyo06
My RF has some toys which I find really useful, reverse camera and blind spot monitoring is very helpful especially with the reduced visibility of a 2 seater.

Another good feature is the matrix style LED lights, they are brilliant in the sticks where I live and I haven’t been flashed yet, you can see the lights illuminating specific parts and blanking out on coming traffic etc.

I really enjoy being back in a manual though and having an actual hand brake.

A proton mpi they were.
And nearly correct, Mitsubishi colt underpinnings and mechanical bits..
Damn it's a looker !

Not really much I can do about that, but would say it's more the SUVs that are the issue as their lights are much higher, mines only a coupe.

Appreciate they can dazzle, but they're worth their weight in gold with how little lighting there is at night on many roads.

Really miss matrix lights in the S5 and I really didn’t think I would... although I don’t miss having pre-sense it slammed on the brakes once for no apparent reason and it was horrible, not to mention how the guy behind didn’t rear end me :wtf: Think I’d struggle going back to a car that didn’t have the updated tech though like virtual cockpit etc

This is where the matrix lights come into their own as they switch off the lights that blind oncoming traffic leaving the ones on to light your way - I've not been in a car yet with them on but apparently the are the dogs - Someone will confirm I'm sure

Reactions: Bells
I think it’s crazy a £40k car doesn’t come with rear parking sensors as standard let alone the rest of the kit that cars 1/3 of the price do.

I don’t have a very clever S3. No parking sensors or lane/blind spot assist.
I’ve always thought, if I feel I need sensors to get into a space it’s probably not the right place to park my car.

Cruise control is nice for motorway but don’t think I’d trust the advanced systems not to do something it shouldn’t. Such as braking harder than it should. Yes it’s reaction may be quicker but I think I’d rather have control.

Always bought into light tech, spec LED previously. Buying second hand I didn’t get matrix but would be keen to have that one next time around. Although the standard LEDs now are very capable and better than the PFL ones.

The only safety mod cons I have are front/rear sensors and camera and they are useful. Aspherical mirrors work fine for me. I drove a fully loaded nanny devices Volvo XC60 and it was a nightmare for false alerts, which I could not turn off, including full application of the brakes for no reasons 3 times over a 3000 mile 2 week hire period. I totally agree on SUV headlight LED dazzle

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Well here’s my rant.
I think the problem is not that these gadgets are too clever it’s people having an over reliance on them especially younger drivers and when they aren’t there or malfunctioning they can’t drive. As mentioned earlier you don’t need a sensor/message to tell you that visibility is poor, just look out the ****** window. However the PlayStation generation needs that bing bing bing to tell them as that’s like a signal to say it’s not ok to do 70mph I should slow down to 60 or 50. Whereas the rest of us just use common sense.
Mate used to teach learner drivers for a living and he had a car that was fully kitted with things like lane assist, parking sensors etc so it protects his car from the learners doing stupid things but also gets them to pass faster so he can boast 90+% first time passes with me. these kids learn in a car that has all the toys but end up buying a £500 banger that doesn’t after they pass. They then realise they can’t drive or park without all this kit but still get out there risking the public.
I don’t have a thing against young drivers but a lot of them shouldn’t even have a tv license let alone a driving license.
Everyone should learn to drive in a car that has no kit not even power steering or abs so when they pass these clever gadgets are more a nice to have rather than a need.
Anyway rant over.... the most fun car I’ve owned to date has been my mk1 mr2. It wasn’t very fast, all 110bhp, but you felt connected to the car. No power steering, abs or any gadgets. Didn’t even have air con. But that box with 4 wheels and an engine in the back was a hoot to drive and can embarrass some expensive stuff in the twisty roads. No bing bing bing telling me something isn’t right. Just me and car. Need to get myself another one.

Reactions: S32B, pburv, Rcord and 3 others
Well here’s my rant.
I think the problem is not that these gadgets are too clever it’s people having an over reliance on them especially younger drivers and when they aren’t there or malfunctioning they can’t drive. As mentioned earlier you don’t need a sensor/message to tell you that visibility is poor, just look out the ****** window. However the PlayStation generation needs that bing bing bing to tell them as that’s like a signal to say it’s not ok to do 70mph I should slow down to 60 or 50. Whereas the rest of us just use common sense.
Mate used to teach learner drivers for a living and he had a car that was fully kitted with things like lane assist, parking sensors etc so it protects his car from the learners doing stupid things but also gets them to pass faster so he can boast 90+% first time passes with me. these kids learn in a car that has all the toys but end up buying a £500 banger that doesn’t after they pass. They then realise they can’t drive or park without all this kit but still get out there risking the public.
I don’t have a thing against young drivers but a lot of them shouldn’t even have a tv license let alone a driving license.
Everyone should learn to drive in a car that has no kit not even power steering or abs so when they pass these clever gadgets are more a nice to have rather than a need.
Anyway rant over.... the most fun car I’ve owned to date has been my mk1 mr2. It wasn’t very fast, all 110bhp, but you felt connected to the car. No power steering, abs or any gadgets. Didn’t even have air con. But that box with 4 wheels and an engine in the back was a hoot to drive and can embarrass some expensive stuff in the twisty roads. No bing bing bing telling me something isn’t right. Just me and car. Need to get myself another one.
This is why dad (driving instructor for 10+ years now) has an A1 but has bare bones, only has front and rear sensors.
As you say otherwise most will go an get an older car which won't have things like hold assist, lane assist etc etc, yet the DVLA allow these gadgets for cars on test which as you say, means people are passing due to the assistance of tech, not actual driving skill/common sense!

Reactions: S32B and AlS3BE
This is where the matrix lights come into their own as they switch off the lights that blind oncoming traffic leaving the ones on to light your way - I've not been in a car yet with them on but apparently the are the dogs - Someone will confirm I'm sure

They are not 100% reliable,they do blind drivers and light up like the sky on the 4th of July in areas they shouldn't
But overall they are excellent on the right roads B roads

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
This is why dad (driving instructor for 10+ years now) has an A1 but has bare bones, only has front and rear sensors.
As you say otherwise most will go an get an older car which won't have things like hold assist, lane assist etc etc, yet the DVLA allow these gadgets for cars on test which as you say, means people are passing due to the assistance of tech, not actual driving skill/common sense!

folk who can’t park an A1, fiesta, or mini without parking sensors shouldn’t be allowed on the road :wink:

Reactions: TYb
Not clever enough !

When one would assume a non service reset really means glow worm # 4 .

Audi’s are usually over specced as there are a lot of imbeciles driving them that cannot actually drive properly.
It helps.

Reactions: KenL and pburv
My other car, its an experience every time I drive it, no power steering but it does have ABS. It also fits into parking bays with room each side .

B3843217 9BF1 4EEA 87AE 180E6A9CB1AD

Reactions: AlS3BE, CHEZ, TYb and 3 others

I have the same problem with the dazzle of oncoming headlights. I am ancient at 52 though! My optician made me up some glasses with a yellow tint lens for night driving, they help but don't eliminate it completely.

1987 Vauxhall Nova club for me.
Complete with yellow deck chair seats and gloss white wheel trims. Mmmmm
1980 Lada 1200:redface new: can't get any more basic than that. Saw me through a terrible winter though.

My RF has some toys which I find really useful, reverse camera and blind spot monitoring is very helpful especially with the reduced visibility of a 2 seater.

I saw this the other day, bare bones spec, don't even think it has rear sensors and I was wondering what it would be like for rear parking/view https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912065097676? I do like the black mirrors and alloys with the grey body.

They are doing a new colour for the 2020 spec 'Polymetal grey metallic':
POLYMETAL GREY METALLIC

The GT version also gets BBS alloys which look great :)

I did.....was a 1983 Nissan Micra. :D
I started learning to drive in 1988, the car was a Peugeot 205 'Junior' :)

Reactions: TYb, AlS3BE and Ron240
I like all the tech, and no the cars aren't too clever. Tech improves safety, even if they don't work perfectly all the time. I'm fairly sure the same complaints have been made about various improvements throughout the history of the car... sychro mesh, power steering, starter motors...

I saw this the other day, bare bones spec, don't even think it has rear sensors and I was wondering what it would be like for rear parking/view https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912065097676? I do like the black mirrors and alloys with the grey body.

They are doing a new colour for the 2020 spec 'Polymetal grey metallic':
View attachment 195283

The GT version also gets BBS alloys which look great :)

I started learning to drive in 1988, the car was a Peugeot 205 'Junior' :)

I wouldn’t let the lack of sensors be a deal breaker, you can see through the rear panel, mirrors etc, the camera is handy more than critical.

My S3 didn’t have sensors and that didn’t end up in a wall.

The BBs alloys do look good.

I wouldn’t let the lack of sensors be a deal breaker, you can see through the rear panel, mirrors etc, the camera is handy more than critical.

My S3 didn’t have sensors and that didn’t end up in a wall.

The BBs alloys do look good.
It wouldn't mate, looking to keep the next car 4-5 years so the less to go wrong the better lol. If it was the other side of winter I'd be tempted to get that one, it's what I want to pay, the colour and new! I recall having a big VX Carlton with a towbar on, that was my parking sensor on that :p

These are the BBS on your colour :) With the black mirrors and alloys I'd get the roof wrapped black as well ;)

Bbs

Reactions: TYb