Q5 Are the Positive & Negative terminals (engine bay) unboltable?

aj84

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 24/7 dashcam installed usually and will be installing the Thinkware U1000 in the SQ5 shortly however as a result of it being on always (parking mode when parked, the battery does get depleted a fair bit.

In the A7, I had a Ctek cable hooked to the positive and negative terminals under the bonnet/hood and routed the connected to the corner of the wiper area. Every so often, I would hook into this via the Ctek charger.

The SQ5 has a much much larger negative point that the eyelet hook does not slide onto. And the positive having a quick glance has a red clamp on it.

Are these both something I can unbolt and put the eyelets into first or is this a no no?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I have a 24/7 dashcam installed usually and will be installing the Thinkware U1000 in the SQ5 shortly however as a result of it being on always (parking mode when parked, the battery does get depleted a fair bit.

In the A7, I had a Ctek cable hooked to the positive and negative terminals under the bonnet/hood and routed the connected to the corner of the wiper area. Every so often, I would hook into this via the Ctek charger.

The SQ5 has a much much larger negative point that the eyelet hook does not slide onto. And the positive having a quick glance has a red clamp on it.

Are these both something I can unbolt and put the eyelets into first or is this a no no?

Thanks in advance
Sounds like you should be installing an external battery along with your U1000 in order to take the pressure off and protect your vehicles battery.

Hi Alex!
The above method worked really well as I always park in the garage so as soon as it went in, I'd just plug it into the Ctek on a trickle charge.

To be honest, I'm hearing horror stories in installing dashcams in the Q5/SQ5 as it is - while I've always installed them myself in the A3/A6/A7 and even a 2017 Polo, the panel removal in the Q5 seem to be difficult for someone not having done it before in this model.

Hi Alex!
The above method worked really well as I always park in the garage so as soon as it went in, I'd just plug it into the Ctek on a trickle charge.

To be honest, I'm hearing horror stories in installing dashcams in the Q5/SQ5 as it is - while I've always installed them myself in the A3/A6/A7 and even a 2017 Polo, the panel removal in the Q5 seem to be difficult for someone not having done it before in this model.
Well if you have a garage then yes, you are in a great position to use a charger :)

Had no issues installing any DashCam in Q5 thus far, doing a couple a week at the moment as these cars seem to be popular. Just put a Thinkware Q800Pro with x2 iVolt batteries in my 2020 SQ with no issues :)

I've pinged you a message on this - I thought about it after your previous reply and have decided to go for it .
The message I sent you is essentially as long as my SQ5 is back repaired, could you drop me a quote to fit the U1000 (2ch) with an ivolt please? I'll supply both.
I've always fitted my own and others but hearing a number of horror stories although it will be a weigh up of risk between quote and nappies :- )

Do the ivolts daisy chain?