Are there any guides on what mesh and how to fit (to protect condensor)

kpm278

Reaction score
Hi, I've spent time reading some threads but no solid info on what mesh people use and how to fit. I'd make one, but not if it already exists. Just got a bill for a new condensor hence need to protect the new one.

Thanks, Kristian

Not trying to be funny but if a stone or stuff in the road is gonna crack your condenser then no mesh is gonna be strong enough to protect it.

Hi, I've spent time reading some threads but no solid info on what mesh people use and how to fit. I'd make one, but not if it already exists. Just got a bill for a new condensor hence need to protect the new one.

Thanks, Kristian

I've been pondering the same problem for 2 years now and, until I come up with a solution, have not bothered to replace my condensor. Not been an issue until the last couple of days . . . :flushed:

Not trying to be funny but if a stone or stuff in the road is gonna crack your condenser then no mesh is gonna be strong enough to protect it.

With respect, I disagree. Anything that can disrupt the progress of a projectile is going to be of benefit, reducing the chances of repeated huge bill's.

Fitted directly to the back of the front grille, it's just a matter of finding the smallest mesh that will still allow sufficient airflow to the radiator and condensor. Fitting said mesh is a PITA too, possibly involving removing the front bumper - which is no 5-minute job.

Reactions: stote
For the cost and effort probably cheaper just getting a new condenser. £85 for a hella condenser for my s3.
4 Audi’s including one I did over 70k in and never had a damaged condenser. Honda before was 14 years old and 130k still had the factory condenser my mk4 golf with 180k never had a condenser in my ownership(bought with 60k). All these cars were up and down the country and endured all sorts of rubbish roads.
Chances of damaging your condenser is pretty low. Half of them are corroded and it’s the stones to that’s the last straw and hits a weak spot.

I've never had any condensor problems either, until the 8V A3.

Audi want in excess of £700 for a new condensor, which can be got down to around £450 at an independent.

I've never had any condensor problems either, until the 8V A3.

Audi want in excess of £700 for a new condensor, which can be got down to around £450 at an independent.

That’s pretty expensive but Audi genuine parts are overpriced even though they don’t make it themselves. Most likely a valeo/hella/bosch part rebadged with Audi. Non genuine parts will be a bit cheaper.
Upload 2019 7 24 22 1 16

Unfortunately it's not so much the part cost as the time it takes to fit. TPS can supply the condensor for the sort of money you have found, but add labour and VAT and the cost shoots up.